Damn stuck at work

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Damn stuck at work

Post by Guest »

i went to start my 95 z26 today and i heard a pop and a wonderful rubbing noise, i popped the hood and the belt tensioner has busted off the mounting bolt, like the tensioner is bolted on but the outter casing isnt, anyone know of this? or how i would go about getting this thing out, theres not alot of room and it's dark so i cant really see, it's a 3100

Damn stuck at work

Post by Guest »

Thats why maintenance is important. When changing oil and topping of fluids, you're suppose to look to see if the tensioner is separating and leaning away from the block. In your case, it's too late, now its a trip to A/z.

Damn stuck at work

Post by Guest »

It's a pain, but the replacement is much better.  I think it's like $20 at Autozone?  Jack up the passenger side to get the passenger side tire off. Remove the wheel well lining.  Watch out for the ABS harness.  You should see the one bolt holding the tensioner on.  Remove it and replace it.  The replacement unit is better built.  You’ll see a pin that locates the tensioner and keeps it from rotation on the back side.  It's small.  Make sure that pin fits in a small hole on the engine.  The belt is much more fun.  You'll have to remove part of the top motor mount to snake the belt through.  Just place a small piece of wood under the engine where is says to and use a jack to support the engine. Route the belt around the pulleys.  Place a thin ratchet(no socket) on the tensioner in the square hole and pull or push to apply tension and move the tensioner so you can slip the belt on.   I find that your socket set may have a small breaker bar or flex head that is thinner then the ratchet. There isn't a lot of room.    It's actually not too bad, but it could be a whole lot better.

Damn stuck at work

Post by Guest »

ok had the car towed home, didnt really look at it yet, i'll look at it tomorrow, but from the top of the car i cannot see the bolt that holds the tensioner on the engine, the tensioner is up against the frame, and it doesnt look like i can get to the tensioner if i remove the wheel well lining

Damn stuck at work

Post by Guest »

You can.  I promise.  I have a 94 with the 3100 and I did it.

Damn stuck at work

Post by Guest »

okay guys thanx for your help, i removed the wheel well lining and was able to get to the tensioner bolt using a 1/2" open/closed ended wrench, wasnt too bad about 30 minutes, good thing my belt was okay the old tensioner separated from the casing that mounts to the engine

Damn stuck at work

Post by Guest »

Glad to see it was easy for you, but I would change out the belt when you replace the tensioner.   You're half way there, so might as well finish the job.

Damn stuck at work

Post by Guest »

well the belt was fairly new dealer replaced it not to long ago