Transmission woes

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Transmission woes

Post by Guest »

I recently had my transmission overhauled, and shortly thereafter, the "Service Engine" light came on. Hooked up my scantool, and it said error 1860, which I can't find the meaning of - does anybody know what this error means?
Thanks in advance!

Transmission woes

Post by Guest »

1860 is not a valid trouble code.. you have OBDI so trouble codes are only 2 digit. And theres not even any such thing as a P1860 code in OBDII... So i dunno?

Dave Holst - holstdb@attbi.com
96 Beretta Z26
96 Beretta 1SA

Transmission woes

Post by Guest »

I think you mean 1870 and if it's not a cheapy scantool, it should have told you it is for slippage.

Transmission woes

Post by Guest »

holstbnet...
No, it says P1860. And in '96, the Beretta was OBDII - not 1.
And the scantool cost me over $300 - alot of money, considering my salary.
Searching the Web gave me the following info for a "Valid" P1860 code - Torque Converter Solenoid error - yes, a valid code. That said...
I am beside myself. Any "Words Of Wisdom" on this would be greatly appreciated!

Transmission woes

Post by Guest »

Take it back to the trans shop and yell at them

Transmission woes

Post by Guest »

Took it back to the transmission shop - they put in a different transmission - after 20 minutes of driving, the SES light came on again. Scanned it, and it gave me a code 1870 - "transmission component slippage". My old transmission was trashed, slipped like hell while driving, but never gave me an error code.
Any "Words Of Wisdom" on this one?

Transmission woes

Post by Guest »

Yeah, have them do it again, and replace the valve body this time!

Transmission woes

Post by Guest »

yeah..and not with a "rebuilt" valve body either--most morons at trans shops could not rebuild a valve body if you gave them all the parts new and held their hand during the process.

Transmission woes

Post by Guest »

They replaced the valve body (FINALLY!) with a new GM unit. During their test drive, the SES light popped on again. They replaced the speed sensor, and did some tweaking, and drove it 50 miles - called me, and sent me on my way. Drove it home, and no SES light - but the shifts are so harsh (fast) that the car lunges to the left on hard acceleration - is this the solution to my tranny woes?
The rebuilt motor has minor mods (balanced & blueprinted, custom ground cam, etc...), so it definitely has more power than original. But still, am concerned. Any "Words-Of-Wisdom"?

Transmission woes

Post by Guest »

um my 95 z26 with 135k miles stock original tranny while full accel pulls to the right while shifting to 2nd thats about it

Transmission woes

Post by Guest »

Quote (Larsonian @ Mar. 27 2003,19:35)They replaced the valve body (FINALLY!) with a new GM unit. During their test drive, the SES light popped on again. They replaced the speed sensor, and did some tweaking, and drove it 50 miles - called me, and sent me on my way. Drove it home, and no SES light - but the shifts are so harsh (fast) that the car lunges to the left on hard acceleration - is this the solution to my tranny woes?
The rebuilt motor has minor mods (balanced & blueprinted, custom ground cam, etc...), so it definitely has more power than original. But still, am concerned. Any "Words-Of-Wisdom"?
Yeah, either the vacuum hose is off the modulator, or the springs in the accumulators are either missing or now broken. I'm hoping for your sake, the vacuum line is off somewhere.

Transmission woes

Post by Guest »

Well, all bets are off. At 5:15 this morning, on my way to work, the SES light popped on again.
Speed - 70 mph
Straight flat highway
Cruise control engaged.
15 minutes into my commute.
I am dumbfounded. Same code - 1870.
Is it time for me to cut my losses on this car & sell it?
I am so depressed....
Any words-of-wisdom? That was the 9th time it has been in their shop since November '02...

Transmission woes

Post by Guest »

JCZ26
PLEASE find ME a quality Z replacement!!!

Transmission woes

Post by Guest »

Quote (Larsonian @ Mar. 28 2003,18:54)JCZ26
PLEASE find ME a quality Z replacement!!!
I think the place I bought my new one from has another, I thought thats what he said, don't know. I think the converter might be slipping though in your trans. Cadi's with the 4T80E, had a big problem with this on occassion.