Leaking oil

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Leaking oil

Post by Guest »

I have a small oil leak, nothing to be worried about, but its annoying i think its the oil pan gasket and i was wondering how hard that would be to change on a 3100 with AC...  and before i do that since i did put on a UD pully i'm gonna check the oil seal around that before i do the pan gasket.

spacecadetz26

Leaking oil

Post by spacecadetz26 »

I am still looking for a 3100/3400 with no oil leaks.... When changing the oil pan gasket, hmm - first remove starter, you need to lower the subframe on the passenger side, take out the bolts holding the oil pan on, the 10mms, there are more on the sides of the pan that hold the crank shield. they are 13mm i believe. and it should come right down. I would buy some gm silicone, and a new gm oil pan gasket. that will set you back about $50. make sure to torque the bolts evenly to get a good seal. oh yeah and make sure to drain the oil first!! LOL. its quite a job. just take your time and try not to loose any bolts.

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package

Leaking oil

Post by Guest »

well i think i found the leak... i never had a leak before on my 3100 untill i did my pully, so i pulled that off and it looked like it was pouring out of the seal there, so i went to get one... sure enough my car wasnt listed to even have a part avilable, so i had to get one for a 1994 3.1l and it fit fine... so i'll see how it goes i may be all set...  because i already have a replacement oil pan gasket, and its rubber so i have trouble believing that it is leaking, because rubber gaskets usually last a long time unless bolts are loose, but thanks, now i know how to do it.

Leaking oil

Post by Guest »

Quote (spacecadetz26 @ April 30 2003,18:32)I am still looking for a 3100/3400 with no oil leaks.... When changing the oil pan gasket, hmm - first remove starter, you need to lower the subframe on the passenger side, take out the bolts holding the oil pan on, the 10mms, there are more on the sides of the pan that hold the crank shield. they are 13mm i believe. and it should come right down. I would buy some gm silicone, and a new gm oil pan gasket. that will set you back about $50. make sure to torque the bolts evenly to get a good seal. oh yeah and make sure to drain the oil first!! LOL. its quite a job. just take your time and try not to loose any bolts.
Ahhh, you forgot that the compressor and the oil filter adapter have to come off.

Leaking oil

Post by Guest »

Quote (3100-95-Modified @ May 01 2003,07:29)well i think i found the leak... i never had a leak before on my 3100 untill i did my pully, so i pulled that off and it looked like it was pouring out of the seal there, so i went to get one... sure enough my car wasnt listed to even have a part avilable, so i had to get one for a 1994 3.1l and it fit fine... so i'll see how it goes i may be all set...  because i already have a replacement oil pan gasket, and its rubber so i have trouble believing that it is leaking, because rubber gaskets usually last a long time unless bolts are loose, but thanks, now i know how to do it.
Well with that load anything is possible, it's like sitting in a pimpmobile!    

Leaking oil

Post by Guest »

yeah see thats why i mentioned that i have ac, because i saw that it bolted on to it... thats the other reason why i dont want to have to replace that gasket.

spacecadetz26

Leaking oil

Post by spacecadetz26 »

it has been a while since i did mine, and when i did it the engine was out of the car. so the ac compressor was not attached.
at first i forgot to say to take the starter out too.
its no big deal, just unbolt the compressor (2 bolts i think) and put it to the side. dont disconnect the ac lines.

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package
CoolZ26

Leaking oil

Post by CoolZ26 »

A little off topic here, but 3100-95 modified, did the 3400 intake manifold bolt right onto the 3100 without any modifications?  I heard otherwise if it did, but thats cool you did that.  I thought of that awhile ago, but noone did it and I wanted to know if it benefitted at all.  Is there any difference in top end feel?  Any improvements in 1/4 times?

As far as the 3100 leaking oil, mine only did one time, which was when the oil pressure sending unit went.  That leaked like a MOTHER!  pretty easy to replace though.

'04 RSX Type S
14.2@99mph w/ horrible 60'
Injen CAI
Hondata ECU reflash
Hondata IMG
Greddy EVO 2 exhaust
DC Raceheader
ESMM
Eibach Sportlines
AIM= andy4483

Leaking oil

Post by Guest »

Just replaced my gasget on '91 GT, 3.1 with A/C, still in the car. Dropped the filter and starter, jacked the motor a bit, and pan came out. A bit tight but it worked. Installing was the tricky part. Pan would not go in with gasket on it, so had to put on the block first. Could not get a GM, but got a fel-pro rubber. It looks like the gasket had been replaced before, and they used RTV grey to seal, but obviously failed. I cleaned the block and pan good with brake clean, and put a small bead of RTV Blue Ultra (Oil resistive) for added adhesion. The kit came with plastic studs you put on the block on the corners. Kinda a neet little thing. The studs are like a second pair of hands, the gasket snaps in over the studs, then helps by aligning the bolt holes and snaping the pan in place while you search for the bolts you dropped! This was my first pan gasket replacement and it went alot better than I anticipated.
All said and done, knock on wood, no more leaks from the pan. Now, the filter adapter... that's another in itself. I found a leak there, of coarse after everything back together. I tightened the 15mm bolt a bit and that seems to do it for now.