Fan relay

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Fan relay

Post by Guest »

hey there,
i have an '88 with the 2.8l i was just wondering if anybody knows where the fan relay is located. i've looked in manuals and ask my friends and neither of them seemed to be of any help so if anybodys knows please let me know. also will a faulty fan relay cause your fan to come on later than usual because mine use to come on when it hit a 1/4 now it comes on when it hits 3/4.
thanks in advance.

MAJ28

Fan relay

Post by MAJ28 »

This is a good question, I don't know the answer, but this would be useful to put a switch on the fan...

-Jason

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   

Fan relay

Post by Guest »

I've been wondering about this one too.  It's normal for your fan to come on arround 3/4, but it's an ecm controlled thing, so it shouldn't come on any earlier.  If it came on at 1/4, THAT was the fault.  I've been aiming at having a cockpit fan switch, but so far I've failed.  What would be the best way to go about switching it?
I put a switch to a separate relay on for a separate fused power source to the fan.  15Amps blew rather quickly, 25Amps didn't work either.  I'm gonna try using a 16ga fusable link next when it stops raining, but I'd love to know what works ahead of time.

z284pwr

Fan relay

Post by z284pwr »

It is on the back of the firewall, close to the middle, you have to take the black cover off to get it, it should be a green/white wire.....lemmie look in the manual real quick.....yes, it is green/white, according to the book it is right next to the MAP sensor *2-bar MAP ownz j00*....That is located just to the left of the brake boost *hopefully your looking at it from the front of the car and not from inside the car.....*The Green/white wire goes from the coolant fan control to the realy, and the other side of it is a Pink/Black wire...hope this helps.
This is from an '88 Manual BTW, it shouldn't have changed that much....

Brian Edwards
'73 Trans Am - 455/Auto
'79 Suburban - 454/Auto
'88 Beretta GT - 3.1/5spd
'90 Beretta Indy - 3.1/Auto
'90 TGP - 3.2 Turbo/Auto
'04 TSX - 2.4/Auto

Fan relay

Post by Guest »

my fans don't come on at all and thats rather annoying to me... I'd like to know where the relay is as well because I'm not wanting to go through the hassle of hard-wiring the fans or wiring up a toggle switch inside the car for it right now...

I really REALLY dislike having the car overheating when I'm just idling in a parking lot or doing some city driving...  because as fun as turning off of a road and tearing ### down some side road till the car stops smoking is, I'd much prefer to have the fans work

Fan relay

Post by Guest »

hrm, thanks z2, I shall keep that in mind

Fan relay

Post by Guest »

Hey guys I just want everyone to know that i just got done playing the "Wheres the relay" game for the fan cause i was having problems with it turning on. You have to get to it from underneath the car. The problem is that it is a special relay and if you take it off wrong you are SOL. So be careful when you change it. It is a green with white stripe and a solid white wire. Good luck

Fan relay

Post by Guest »

Have you tested the fan?  Two easy ways: 1. Use test leads from the battery to the fan motor power source   2. Put the ecm in feild service mode by grounding the test terminal on the ALDL and the fan is supposed to come on.  If you don't know how to to this run a search on B.net for ALDL and learn how cause it's soooo easy and useful.

Cooling is an all too often forgotten upgrade.  The way I dive MY car, there is a lot of heat generated.  Now, I'm still not sure how I lucked out at the rad shop, but when I got my new one home I found it to be at least 50% longer than the factory one.  I think it's the one for an automatic, while I have a 5sp.  Something mentioned on the phone  when I was comparisson shopping was that the automatic version is the same price, with a different part number.  There are plugged holes I assume would hook up to the auto. tranny.  It slid right in though, there are mounting bolt holes right where there should be and the mounts fit it just right so it must be an L body rad.  I just took off the bafle thing beside my factory rad. ÂÂÂ
The singular stock fan should be plenty, but you should know that it WILL hold a bigger set of blades.  I was thinking of putting in a second smaller fan, but the smallest one I could find at the JY was still too big.  One of em had blades like 2" longer than my stock fan's, so I swapped the blades instead.  I think that was from a 93ish Grand Am.
Good luck finding the problem!

MAJ28

Fan relay

Post by MAJ28 »

Beretta Guy-My plan was to connect a wire that simply bipasses the relay.. then put a switch on the bypass wire.  Would that work?

-Jason

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   
88GTRacer

Fan relay

Post by 88GTRacer »

Quote (Brickie82 @ May 29 2003,22:20)Hey guys I just want everyone to know that i just got done playing the "Wheres the relay" game for the fan cause i was having problems with it turning on. You have to get to it from underneath the car. The problem is that it is a special relay and if you take it off wrong you are SOL. So be careful when you change it. It is a green with white stripe and a solid white wire. Good luck
Please explain this one.  88GTRacer

"It is one of the most beautiful shapes on the road. Aero, alluring and very aggressive.
It is a Beretta, the new performance coupe from Chevrolet."
88GTRacer

Fan relay

Post by 88GTRacer »

Quote (MAJ28 @ May 30 2003,05:14)Beretta Guy-My plan was to connect a wire that simply bipasses the relay.. then put a switch on the bypass wire.  Would that work?

-Jason
You could do that, but I strongly recommend you install and inline fuse and a relay so that the toggle switch does not fry over time.  Then you absolute control over the fan motor with a flip of a switch.  88GTRacer

"It is one of the most beautiful shapes on the road. Aero, alluring and very aggressive.
It is a Beretta, the new performance coupe from Chevrolet."