Winshield washer problem

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

Winshield washer problem

Post by Guest »

The car is an 89GT with the washer bottle having the washer pump on the underside of it and no hose from the cap.  The dash originally had the control without the dial for rear window defogger that has been changed to one with a dial and wires all plugged in - though that still doesn't work, that is another story for another post.

Anyway, even before the swap, I went and got a new washer pump and popped it in place, connected all the hoses put some RainEx in the bottle.  Got behind the wheel, fired up the engine and press the button for mist and the result was nothing.  The wipers kicked in but no water appeared.

What have I done wrong?

Winshield washer problem

Post by Guest »

Im not sure, I know mine doesnt work either. I think I need a new pump though, how hard was it to replace the pump?

Winshield washer problem

Post by Guest »

Ahhh, the fuse maybe?

Winshield washer problem

Post by Guest »

Mine didn't want to pump and it turned out that the electrical contacts that plug into the pump were just corroded.  I cleaned them and now it works great.

Winshield washer problem

Post by Guest »

just an idea but maybe the hose that runs from your washer reservior to your wipers might have a hole in it or its broke.  when you try to use it can you hear the pump turn on?  usually after you turn your car off (or mine anyways) you can still use the washer fluid for a little.  if you know that the pump is working then just trace the hoses and find out where its going.  later

Chazzman

Winshield washer problem

Post by Chazzman »

Is the hose plugged with dirt or something?

'92 GT-Z 3.1L 5spd lot's of GO FAST stuff  

Winshield washer problem

Post by Guest »

chevycorsica92: No, the pump is very easy to change.

JCZ26:  Fuse is good.  In fact, when I first got the car, I changed all the fuses, whether or not they were blown, so that I knew for definite that I had ones in there that were new.

css9450, DaGuse5853Z & Chazzman:  I will check on the contacts in a couple of days and the hoses.  Thanks for those tips.

90_Black_GTZ

Winshield washer problem

Post by 90_Black_GTZ »

Remove the hose from the pump and then try it to eliminate the hose as the problem.  Then have someone listen to the pump while you press the button.  You should hear a whine from the pump motor.  My wife's truck had a clogged sprayer, everything else up to that sprayer worked.  Very annoying part to replace on that thing!

90 Black GTZ (I am the original owner since May 5, 1990)
187,000 miles