A/c fan not blowing hard

Archived topics from the Diagnostic Help Forum

A/c fan not blowing hard

Post by Guest »

Hey everyone,
New member, geat site.
I just purchased a 89 GT 2.8 from a neighbor. The A/C wasn't working, so I replaced the compressor, dryer, and oriface tube. Could not get the compressor to kick on, and after searching through the message board, found some ideas to check. To make a long story short, the red wire from the fan relay to the 12 volt post (which has a solid fuse inline) was bad. Replace it with a new wire with a fuse and, bingo, the compressor (and cooling fan) works! Now the only problem is even on high, the A/C does not blow out very hard through the vents. You can hear the blower fan running, but very little air coming out the vents. I aready took the blower fan out and checked it out, looks OK. Any suggestions?

A/c fan not blowing hard

Post by Guest »

looking at the blower motor isnt gonna tell you anything, i'm not sure but on the camaro's there is a high blower relay, check that out.

A/c fan not blowing hard

Post by Guest »

thanks, 1995Z26,
The blower works on all speeds, just not much coming out the vents, If the high speed relay was bad, would it even blow on the high speed setting? It seem like the air is blowing ,but not being directed out to the vents. I checked to see if any vaccum line were bad, but didn't find any.

A/c fan not blowing hard

Post by Guest »

You have to take the blower motor out, reach down to the evaporator core, through the blower motor mounting hole, and clean it out. DO NOT bend the fins over!!!! That still may not work if the fins are really clogged. If thats the case, you need to take the plastic heater apart under the dash. (like you were replacing the heater core). And with the blower motor still out, remove the heater core from the car (should probably replace it now while it's out, like always it'll blow in the middle of winter when it's too cold to fuss with it). With the heater core out, use some engine degreaser and spray it all over the evap core, then with an air hose, blow all the crap straight through. It'll come up and out the blower motor mounting hole. This will/should end the air flow problem. If you had a vacuum problem, you won't hear any of the vent doors open or close, and you wouldn't hear the dial switching over when you turn it.

A/c fan not blowing hard

Post by Guest »

Hey JCZ26,
Did what you said to do tonight, and when I took the blower fan out and reached in, the heater core was LOADED with gunk! Took a stiff brush, and wiped it down (brushing up and down with the fins). Vaccumed it all out and sprayed it down with an A/C coil cleaner. Put it back togeather and Man, like a new A/C! Blows great! Even on low, air comes out the vents fine. Thanks again, if I have any more problems with my GT, I'll post them and I'm sure I'll get some good advice!

A/c fan not blowing hard

Post by Guest »