Is the direct acting swaybar better?

Archived topics from the Suspension and Brakes Forum
Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Ok I know theres been alot of debate about this topic on the mailing list, but I really want to know.....is the direct acting swaybar (18mm) better than the 30mm GT bar?
I can quite easily get my hands on a direct acting swaybar (parts 92 GTZ in my backyard, hehe) but if the 30mm will stiffen the front end up more than I'd much rather have that.

The main downside I see to the direct acting bar is the fact that I'd need to get some struts made for the GTZ.  But I'll be getting new struts and springs eventually anyways.  I plan on using the GTZ springs for a little while until I can afford eibachs (probably next winter at this rate).  

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Post by Guest »

i shall offer you my uneducated opinion.  the direct acting swaybar must be a much better deal.  the springs definitely helped the gtz's handling.  but in order to be the handling "monsters" they are, that sway bar has to be pretty potent.  it is almost half the size of the standard bars, and i think the mounting is better.  if you buy an aftermarket front sway bar kit, say from PST, it mounts to the shocks, not the control arms, which i think would help the sway bar be more effective.

if anyone thinks different, please let us know.

ROb

Post by Guest »

i cannot believe no one has any input on this topic....

ROb

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Its too late now anyways.  I sent the GTZ to the JY (the bar was still on it).

Chris
lezarch@hotmail.com

Post by Guest »

ic.  well, i would still like to know.  i am interested in doing the swap

ROb

NVMYGTZ

Post by NVMYGTZ »

Dang sorry abotu the lack of reply,
The way the GTZ mounts to the strut. It is more effective, more to the effect of 2 to 1.
Plus the lighter weight and more compact size of the GTZ bar.

You can buy a bolt-on mount to use the direct acting bar on any strut. I belive it was used in 90 I don not have the GM p/n off hand. A good dealer should be able to find it for you.

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

hmm that could come in handy.  If I had only taken the bar off......
Nobody would give me an answer as to which was better.  I remember the debate going on for a while on the message board but nobody knew for sure which bar was better.  All the GTZ people were getting 30mm bars and all the base/GT people were getting the direct acting bar.  Shrug.
I didnt even think about the weight savings.  Oh well.
I guess I'll have to hit the yard sometime soon and hope to hell I see the GTZ there again

Chris
lezarch@Hotmail.com