Direct airfilter

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

Direct airfilter

Post by Guest »

I switched back to the original airfilter-setup. I noticed better low-end torque.
I think I will keep it like that. Unfortunately theres no cool sound like with the direct filter...  

Direct airfilter

Post by Guest »

i have a cone filter on my car right now and i have been noticing a drop in preformance when my car warms up. i know that the filter is catching the engine heat from my manafold, but i dont really want to change it because i like the look and sound. but i might go back to the original air box untill i can work out some sort of cool air intake.

rweatherford

Direct airfilter

Post by rweatherford »

Quote (tpiracer @ Feb. 06 2002,05:25)I switched back to the original airfilter-setup. I noticed better low-end torque.
I think I will keep it like that. Unfortunately theres no cool sound like with the direct filter... ÂÂÂ
Have you guys read my section of Beretta.net?

The Quad4 intake is a pretty good system.  Add a K&N stock filter and you are probably good until you need more than 190 HP.  After that a well made COLD air intake might gain 5 HP.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Direct airfilter

Post by Guest »

Soooo.... say for my GTZ.....

Who knows - I've got a friend thats TOTALLY obcessed with cold air intakes - I'm sure he can rig something up....

Direct airfilter

Post by Guest »

The only good CAI in can come up with is cut your air box out of course. Then on your intake hose cut it down just past the last ribs. Once this is done you wont have to worry about the air flow obstructions.

Then go to your local exhaust shop and have them bend some 3" piping to the length you need to get behind you battery (turn you battery crooked to get a straighter shot for the filter placement).

Once this is accomplished cut a piece of plexy glass or sheet metal to where you can pop-rivet it to the wheel well. Then wheather strip the top of the barrior so it dont cut in to the hood lining.

Then here comes the really tricky part. I havent really figured out how im going to do this yet. You want to cut a hole just infront of you cone filter. This should allow cold air to come from under you car and behind the fog lights and turn signal lights.

Direct airfilter

Post by Guest »

Quote (rweatherford @ Feb. 07 2002,03:43)Have you guys read my section of Beretta.net?
Ahh, I knew that I have seen it somewhere, but i couldnt remember where i have read it. I think i'm getting older  

rweatherford

Direct airfilter

Post by rweatherford »

Quote (Dante93GTZ @ Feb. 06 2002,9:56)Soooo.... say for my GTZ.....

Who knows - I've got a friend thats TOTALLY obcessed with cold air intakes - I'm sure he can rig something up....
There are several ways to get cold air.  The easiest is to turn the intake straight down and get it from below the car.  I purchased a 90 degree radiator hose (very smooth inside) and used a filter that Aaron Choate got for me that has a heat shield around it.  You could then hook a 4 inch flexible hose to it, or just leave it hanging right at the bottom of the engine compartment.  That is what Aaron and I have both done on our cars.

The other place to get cold air is from the wiper cowl area, but that would require cutting metal.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Direct airfilter

Post by Guest »

Quote (rweatherford @ Feb. 07 2002,1:49)There are several ways to get cold air.  The easiest is to turn the intake straight down and get it from below the car.  I purchased a 90 degree radiator hose (very smooth inside) and used a filter that Aaron Choate got for me that has a heat shield around it.  You could then hook a 4 inch flexible hose to it, or just leave it hanging right at the bottom of the engine compartment
I was thinking about something similar. perhaps with kinda airbox down there, for a bit ramair effect.