Intake piping...

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum
Chris88CL

Intake piping...

Post by Chris88CL »

Our local powdercoating shop can do the exact same anodized type coating for like $10 cdn so I wouldnt worry too much about that.  I was pretty amazed at some of the cool finishes the place could make.  They even had a glow in the dark powdercoat.  Im still thinking about using that for the undercarriage of the car (swaybars, control arms, subframe etc).  If it was bright enough then I might not even need to get underbody neons.  Whats the cop going to say if he pulls you over for neons and you dont have any...its just the car glowing  

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

The plastic PVC won't hurt b/c my friend has an 86 Prelude SI w/a completely redone intake w/plastic PVC pipe & his car runs fine (170,xxx miles on original engine too).  I went with the rubber b/c it's more flexible b/c I have a GT & the intake is in the shape of a sideways "J."  You can try plastic, but I stuck w/rubber b/c I didn't know how to take the computer chip out of my rubber piece that hooks up to the mass air censor.  I didn't wanna fool around w/that, but if you know how too, then go w/all plastic.

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

what i was thinking about doing was using the pvc pipe, but i am afriad that i will melt or get damaged in the engine bay by the manafolds and such

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

Hey puck, this guy got a cai from mantapart on his Q4...check it out:  The 2nd up from bottom pic

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

I know about the Mantapart intake, it's just that it's overpriced. All they have on there is the fittings, a cone filter, and a small piece of piping. I think they want near $200 for it. That's insane.

As for what I might do if the Eclipse intake doesn't work. I think I'll go ahead and buy the intake piping sold at Autozone made for the Civic/Integra in cooperation with a smaller rubber piping [for the 90 degree bend]. Just like the Mantapart one, but this wil only run me about $30 total. That is, of course, if the Eclipse thing doesn't work well.

-Steve

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

Thats pretty funny 200 for a bent piece of stainless, and a filter. It even goes into the original rubber part.

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

Sorry Puck, I didn't bother to check the price on mantapart.com...

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

Quote (BerettaBri @ Feb. 09 2002,01:43)Sorry Puck, I didn't bother to check the price on mantapart.com...
No problem man.

The exact price on the Free Flow Air Intake from Mantapart is $175.00.

I have some stuff to do today, so I'm going to try and finangle an intake on her tomorrow [if weather permits].

-Steve

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

Lets us know how it goes, Puck. A description of parts and cost would be helpful, too!
My GTZ came with a Ractive filter ghetto-rigged with zipties on it. Thats going to hit the trash very soon. I might go with a stock airbox (Thanks Andy/yellow3800) or a custom job.

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

The guy with the Eclipse intake is coming by tomorrow.

I have found something else. Here is an aftermarket intake for the '97 Cavalier Z24:

It looks like it'll work if you cut off a portion of it. The intake the guy is bringing over tomorrow would have worked on his car, but it was a little bit too big. So hopefully it'll work on the GTZ with just having to cut off a piece of it.

I'll post how it goes tomorrow [weather permitting]
-Steve

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

Ok, guys, before you have a heart attack on what to do about an intake for a Q4 or V6 Beretta, here are my thoughts. You may take them as you wish. They are not meant to discredit anyone or any ideas. They are just useful info.

I came up with a design in 1999 for the intake for a V6 Beretta because no one was making one at the time. It is a simple design than can easily be done by anyone with any type of basic mechanical abilty. I have made this same intake and sold to a few different people.

If a muffler shop says they can't bend 3" pipe into a 45 degree angle, then look for a shop that will. I have had 3 intake pipes made at a muffler shop as well as have some of the other Colorado Crew members. Aaron has one on his '92 GTZ as well.  Treacy, Nathan, & I also have them on our V6's. The guys with the '88 V6's have the unfortunate problem of the Mass AirFlow Sensor that cannot be removed. But you can attach a cone filter to it as well as removing the screen inside the sensor to gain more airflow.

I am attaching a link to a pic of the filter on my current '89 Base V6. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at:

blaze@ourpeak.com

http://www.ourpeak.com/blaze/NewIntake4.jpg

Hope this helps.

Jack Eubanks
'89 Base V6<---211K, about to hit 212
'76 Monza V8<---Race Car

MAJ28

Intake piping...

Post by MAJ28 »

Blaze, i think your link is bad, unless it's me?

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

It might be you.     I just tried it and it worked fine.  Also, please excuse the poor quality of the pic. It was taken with a regular camera and then scanned.

Jack Eubanks
'89 Base V6<---211K
'76 Monza V8<---Race Car

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

Quote (Blaze89 @ Feb. 11 2002,02:14)Jack Eubanks
'89 Base V6
Jack, can you call the '76 Monza something else for the time being?? I mean, calling it a "Race Car" at the point is a little ...... out there ......

Call it something like "'76 Monza hehehehehe

Intake piping...

Post by Guest »

Quote (Dante93GTZ @ Feb. 13 2002,3:15)Jack, can you call the '76 Monza something else for the time being?? I mean, calling it a "Race Car" at the point is a little ...... out there ......

Call it something like "'76 Monza hehehehehe

ÂÂÂ

Uhhh,   no. After all, no one has seen what I have done in the last month or so and no one will til I am ready. And BTW, it isn't rusty. I have all the performance stuff ready to install, just waiting for the block to return from getting bored out at the machine shop.  SO    ÂÂÂ

Jack Eubanks
'89 Base V6<---212K and still a threat
'76 Monza V8<---RACE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!