The Red '96 Z26 (78K Miles)

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
2.2H8TA

The Red '96 Z26 (78K Miles)

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Last edited by 2.2H8TA on Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:00 am, edited 15 times in total.

1994 AQUA ZED
2.2H8TA

Re: 96' Z26

Post by 2.2H8TA »

So this is where I'll be postin' about it from now on. I will have some general questions in the coming days, and if anything goes wrong, hopefully I can get some help from here too. Thanks in advance for your feedback, and enjoy the pics... finally!
Last edited by 2.2H8TA on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1994 AQUA ZED
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Sweet!

keep'em flying!
felixGTU

Post by felixGTU »

Awsome Beretta. It is mint. I wish my beretta was that clean inside out.

Chevrolet Beretta GTU/GT
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Thanks, but it's certainly not 'mint' as far as my standards go, but it is in pretty good shape. I'm finding more and more stupid little flaws, as I drive it more and more. I've seen some of your blue GT, and that looks quite clean as well, so dont get down on yourself man, you got a couple good berettas, I have 2 also now, but only 1 is driveable as of right now.
felixGTU wrote:Awsome Beretta. It is mint. I wish my beretta was that clean inside out.
Last edited by 2.2H8TA on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1994 AQUA ZED
felixGTU

Post by felixGTU »

My Beretta are clean and in good condition inside I just wish I had the money to give both of mine a good paint job. Maybe later when im done with college.

Chevrolet Beretta GTU/GT
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Lookin good! Brings back memories of when I bought my Z26...

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

So my dad was out doin' a bit of driving today, and he noticed that when he turned it off, and then turned back on a few minutes later, the idle is a bit odd. It starts up, and then for a little while it'll rev itself a bit, he describes it as a vroom, vroom, vroom type thing. It normally idles under 1k, and when it does that it jumps up to 1k, and drops over and over again. I've yet to hear it, I will check later for myself. Could putting regular gas in a motor thats been burning premium for a while cause that? Could it have to do with using a synthetic motor oil? As that is what the previovs owner put in it. Could it be a bad, or wearing TPS? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by 2.2H8TA on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1994 AQUA ZED
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Ok, so after drivin' it for a little bit earlier, I noticed that when you first start the car, it does idle a bit weird, not a real big change from normal tho. For about 20 seconds or so, it kind of feels like it's jerking a bit, the rpms don't really go up at all, I can just feel it, and hear it. This is while the car is in park. After about 20 seconds it stoped, and didn't happen again untill I was sitting, in park again.
Anyone have any ideas on this?
Last edited by 2.2H8TA on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1994 AQUA ZED
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

One more thing, when I'm sitting either in park, or drive, it seems harder to turn the wheel. When I do it just sitting in park it's really hard to turn and it kinda sounds like the pump is groaning a bit. As for in drive, as I give it gas it seems to get easier. Could that be a bad power steering pump, or just low on fluid or something? I'll check the fluid tomorrow.

1994 AQUA ZED
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

I would check the fluid's color (smell it) see if it looks old, or dark colored. It should be clear. Probably wouldn't hurt to change it, you would have to pull a line I think and let it drain, then put in new fluid.

If that didn't help, then it may be the pump is worn. Any car is harder to turn while stopped vs while moving as it is, but it shouldn't be too bad.

I had so much trouble with the old 93 caravan, I finally bypassed the rack completely, and just let the pump cycle oil, and used "armstrong steering"

lol

Anyways, try changing the fluid first, then the pump. If those fail to make it better, then its either a blockage in the system or the rack (which shouldn't occur, but who knows) Do you have any leaks on the rack or the pump? I know my Z's original rack had the passenger side end of the cylinder housing rot out and boy was that a mess. Had to replace the rack.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

My car does the same on the idle. For me I think that the engine is worn out(lots of piston slap when cold). My IAC is new, port is clean and have a new TPS. Also had a problem with the wires for the TPS. I had to solder one wire and it's not killing TPS's anymore. Not sure how it did that, but after the soldering I put the old one back on and the idle was high. In other words check your wires.
Also has the lower intake manifold gaskets been changed?

keep'em flying!
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

I'm gonna check the fluid, and also look for leaks. As far as the idle goes I'm just gonna take it to the shop I get all my repairs done at on monday, so I can look under it for the first time, and I'll have them look the whole thing over. Whatever it needs it will get, then I can finally start on the 95' base.

1994 AQUA ZED
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Anybody have any idea why my odometer is not working? It was when we got it, we put 42 Miles on it sense we got it on monday. It started at 60,000 even, and is now at 60042, between the 4 and 5 tenths. We reset the trip meter when we got it, and the trip matches up with the 42.4/5. We are getting a bit annoyed, and we feel we may have been screwed a bit here.
Any ideas? I will be having it looked over this coming week. Also all the other gauges are working. We also found when it does that weird idle thing, the lights dim, and get brighter.
Last edited by 2.2H8TA on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1994 AQUA ZED
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

The lights are changing intensity due to the alternator going faster and slower, so that part at least is normal, from one perspective. Mine usually dim down when its idling, especially after it is warmed up. Always has, since I can remember...

As for the odometer gauges..... Hmmmmm Not sure if yours was electronic or cabled. I would imagine its electronic, that is, it uses a sensor in the transmission to relay the speed. So the wire going to the sensor is having issues, or the sensor itself may be going bad, but it shouldn't be a big deal to change.

Here is another thought though, considering the idling, etc...

You could have a bad ground/battery connection, or a loose one. I would check the positive and negative at the battery by making sure they are clean, greased, and fairly tight, then follow those wires and check the other ends they are attached to, check the wiring attached to the alternator, as well as the starter, etc. Check your fuse panel for any blown fuses. Try another battery?

Bad electrical connections can cause all sorts of freaky things to happen and can be one of the more annoying things to track down and fix.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan