77 z28 scoop molded to my indy

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
beretta

Re: 77 z28 scoop molded to my indy

Post by beretta »

i seen a whole front clip sitting on a front lawn forsale today the same style scoop as that. i was going to stop and ask how much for just the hood lol, figured they would want too much to hack it apart.

that looks really good on the beretta

Blacklit

Post by Blacklit »

its easy to remove off the camaro. it actually just bolts on. i had to modify it a little and then mold into mine.

beretta

Post by beretta »

i dont want to be a copy cat. lol.. but i just found the same scoop for 60 bucks i just offered them $40. waiting to hear back for that price cant go too wrong, and i have to admit that looks pretty sweet on the retta

snowblindburd
Administrator

Post by snowblindburd »

I dig it. My friend has a similar scoop on his Beretta:

beretta

Post by beretta »

im getting one for sure probably pick it up friday night after work.. $40 bucks

beretta

Post by beretta »

going to pick up my hood scoop in the next hour YEAH!!!! lol. now the vent part on this is actually a vent or just for show ? im looking more for a way to get some air flowing more then the looks, my engine bay is so dam hot i cant touch anything for an hour after its been running

beretta

Post by beretta »

I got the hood scoop YEAH! so i notice its a little longer then the beretta hood but not by much.. where have you guys trimmed off to make it fit ? off the front or the back of it. im thinking if i can trim if off the back then it will still have the nice V at the front.

Im going to cut out where the vent is and make it functional to get a little more air to help keep things cool.

I figured these would be fiberglass or metal, the one i got is plastic .

Blacklit

Post by Blacklit »

I cut mine down from the front part. I thought about making it functional, but don't want to make a custom drip tray

beretta

Post by beretta »

any updates on the hood scoop install ?

Im going to start working on mine over the next week or so. i have a starting point at least now the new hood is on the car and ive sat the scoop on and done some measuring to see what needs to happen.

The part that dips in needs to be cut out of the hood for it to lay down tight. im wondering whats going to happen to the structure part of the hood if its going to cut into the crossers and make it flimsy. my old hood was flimsy like crazy it folds all over when you try to hold it open.

I probably wont make it functional, would be cool to open it up some just for a little more air flow over the top of the engine to help cool it some.

Im thinking of cutting the extra off the back of it to keep the original point at the front. i only need to cut back 1/2 inch or less off the back, also this way i can keep the threaded part for the front bolt to hold it down good and snug.

I laid it out on the hood to get the back edge to be cut off, i laid it under my old hood and got the line on it for what part needs trimmed so it will match up on the end. ill cut it bigger to start and finish it on the car so its a good flush edge.

Blacklit

Post by Blacklit »

theres no updates to give cuz mines been done other than paint

90 Yellow Beretta Indy 3.1 auto
06 Chevy Colorado 2.5 5 spd
04 Blazer Xtreme 4.3 auto
91 Camaro RS 350 auto
beretta

Post by beretta »

can you post some current pictures of it and some of under the hood.

i assume you had to cut the hood out some where the scoop dips down ?

Im going to trim the over hang off the back, its maybe 3/4 inch i think that has to come off and it should still lay down perfect, i still have to look it over some more and get it laid out. ive had the scoop for a while but i just got around to changing my hood and just looking it over to see what needs to be done to fit it.

now where the seam of the scoop meets the hood can i just mar glass or light body fill that and it wont crack ? or is there something else i can use for that.

Im pretty good with bondo so thats not an issue but im wondering if it will crack later on down the road, maybe i could just use a thin bead of seam sealer and paint over it that way its still a little flexible.

Blacklit

Post by Blacklit »

ill have to get you some more detailed pics when im with the car. i see the one i posted originally is no longer on photobucket for some reason. yea i had to cut a hole in the hood. i kept the metal bracing on the bottomside of the hood intact to keep its strength. i had to also trim the scoop down in the front cuz the scoop was to long as you probably already found out. i made some relief cuts in the scoop so that it would form to our somewhat slope to our hoods. i bonded it to the hood with a 2 part 3m product that bonded fiberglass to metal. worked like a charm too. i then fiberglassed the edge to mold it to the hood.

90 Yellow Beretta Indy 3.1 auto
06 Chevy Colorado 2.5 5 spd
04 Blazer Xtreme 4.3 auto
91 Camaro RS 350 auto
1990BerettaGTZ2.3L

Post by 1990BerettaGTZ2.3L »

I was thinking about getting an L-88 hood scoop for my GTZ and molding it in the hood and then add some grand prix gtp hood vents to it on the sides still debating

1990 Beretta GTZ Quad,226 cams, 3.94 W-41 trans
1990 Beretta GTZ Quad 4, 3.61 muncie 5 speed (project)
1968 Chevelle 300 deluxe 327ci 4 speed M-21, 12 bolt 4.10 posi
1978 Chevy K10 Z77 Sport 4x4
1977 GMC Sierra Classic 25 454 crew cab
-Ryan
1990BerettaGTZ2.3L

Post by 1990BerettaGTZ2.3L »

if I don't go with the L-88 scoop I'm definately putting a 67 stingray scoop on it with the scoop and the center hump running down the center, and if I don't go with that I'm gonna try to make a twin dome with the chrome vents like the one on my 68 chevelle, my car has the 68-69 ss hood and those are the domes I would love to add to it and make it fit the domes a make, woody outta add the twin dome to his retta ss it would be a special touch to finish her off and paint the chrome scoops black or the gunmetal gray he's got to match

1990 Beretta GTZ Quad,226 cams, 3.94 W-41 trans
1990 Beretta GTZ Quad 4, 3.61 muncie 5 speed (project)
1968 Chevelle 300 deluxe 327ci 4 speed M-21, 12 bolt 4.10 posi
1978 Chevy K10 Z77 Sport 4x4
1977 GMC Sierra Classic 25 454 crew cab
-Ryan