Analog to digital swicth

Archived topics from the Other Tech Questions Forum

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Guest »

Ok went junk yard hunting and i got a fully functional dash of an 89 GT for $25 I have an 89 GTU and well after i got all happy i got it and took off my analog and OHHHH Sh*t Not tha same F*cking Harness      AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! ! ! ! Please Help does anybody know what to do.

Chris88CL

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Chris88CL »

This has been discussed about 500 times.
You need to replace the entire harness behind the dash.  That involves removing your dash, removing the harness from the JY vehicle, swapping the WHOLE thing into your car, then replacing the dash.  Its most likely a 2-3 day project unless you REALLY know what your doing and have pulled a dash before.  Its not pretty.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@Hotmail.com

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Guest »

You mean cut and splice the wires macthing colors or what need more info.

Chris88CL

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Chris88CL »

No, I mean exactly what I said.  REPLACE the harness.  The ENTIRE HARNESS.
You have to undo a screw in the engine bay to release the connector, then you replace all the wiring behind the dash.

Chris
lezarch@hotmail.com

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Guest »

can i swicth to the nicer looking analog cluster cause mine is ugly there is to  analog clusters

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Guest »

More info on the swicth please any one done it

Chris88CL

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Chris88CL »

Yeah you can pop in the full guage cluster from any 87-90 Beretta/corsica.  But the 91+ guages wont fit in the 87-90 style dash.  No mods are needed, but your oil pressure wont read correctly until you replace the oil pressure sending unit with one from a car with the full guage cluster or buy a new one.

Chris
lezarch@hotmail.com

4DoorGTZ

Analog to digital swicth

Post by 4DoorGTZ »

Everyone talks about oil pressure sengind unit, I believe you also need to replace the coolant temp sensor (cuz the idiot light version just reads good/HOT, not a variable signal of actual temp)

There is the possibility that you dont have to redo the wiring harness if you want to just get an upgraded guage cluster. If I wanted to I would, but thats cuz my '87 is a bit odd. I have heard of people who were able to do it simply at/or behind the guage cluster. it all depends on the wire locations on the connector for your car and for the upgraded cluster. The phisical plastic connector piece is the same between base/upg guages just the wire placing different. What you'd have to do is write down the placement and color of the wires from the donor car, then compare that to your car, MY '87 is short about 2 wires so I would need to redo the harness. If your car was prewired it might just need to have the wires rearranged in the connector

Hope that all made sence..... I'm not sure it all came out clearly.

06 Trailblazer SS Bored & Stroked 408ci, ZR1 Cam, Trick Flow heads, TVS1900, Built Trans w/stall 600AWHP
09 Solstice GXP Targa Coupe 1 of 1266
93 Med. Garnet Red Q4 GTZ 1 of 621
Bfest '01, '02, '04, '05
Chris88CL

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Chris88CL »

I think your corsica is just a freak of nature Mike, because there have been a few members who have upgraded to the full guage cluster without any messing with wiring and it worked fine right away.  Maybe you messed it up with all that wiper switch wiring  hehe

Chris
lezarch@Hotmail.com

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Guest »

mine is a full gauge cluster it is just ugly as F*ck and wanted to change it to something nicer like the digital dash so i guess thats $25 added th the collection of money SPENT FOR NOTHING ! ! ! !  TOTAL $375 so far #### ! ! !

Chris88CL

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Chris88CL »

Try selling it in the for sale section.  Once in a while someones digital dash will go south and they need a replacement. I sold my digital cluster from my old parts car for $50 US.

Chris
lezarch@Hotmail.com

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Guest »

Yeah Man,

My corsica has the base cluster w/ temp gauge.  So Why would you need a temp sensor?  I think that the older corsica's must have only gas and speedometer.  

Just my 2 cents

Chris88CL

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Chris88CL »

Yeah thats all Mike has.  Gas and speedo.

Chris
lezarch@Hotmail.com

oldadmin

Analog to digital swicth

Post by oldadmin »

Quote (4DoorGTZ @ Feb. 25 2002,03:33)Everyone talks about oil pressure sengind unit, I believe you also need to replace the coolant temp sensor (cuz the idiot light version just reads good/HOT, not a variable signal of actual temp)

There is the possibility that you dont have to redo the wiring harness if you want to just get an upgraded guage cluster. If I wanted to I would, but thats cuz my '87 is a bit odd. I have heard of people who were able to do it simply at/or behind the guage cluster. it all depends on the wire locations on the connector for your car and for the upgraded cluster. The phisical plastic connector piece is the same between base/upg guages just the wire placing different. What you'd have to do is write down the placement and color of the wires from the donor car, then compare that to your car, MY '87 is short about 2 wires so I would need to redo the harness. If your car was prewired it might just need to have the wires rearranged in the connector

Hope that all made sence..... I'm not sure it all came out clearly.
It does work I have a car outside that it works just fine on. The oil pressure is the only gauge that does not work.

Chris88CL

Analog to digital swicth

Post by Chris88CL »

Mike was convinced for the longest time that changing to the full guage cluster blew up his ECM.  I thought it might have been to blame too.  It was just kind of a wierd coincidence that like 75 km's after he put in the new guage cluster his ECM went south.  
Shrug.

Chris
lezarch@Hotmail.com