coolant spilling from cap

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...

Post by Guest »

ok i still havt fixed my overheating problem.  i havnt started it in awhile and i went to start it today and it took a little bit to start it.  also i drove it around the block and got back and poped the hood and coolant was everywhere on the resivor.  i could tell it all spilled out through the cap.  i did have a little too much coolant in it but is it normal to shoot it out through the cap even if there is too much?  could that possibly cause my overheating problem a bad cap?

wicked-irocz

Post by wicked-irocz »

Definately a possibility, If your cap is bad the coolant will boil at 212*

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
scrappy

Post by scrappy »

Blown head gaskets will push coolant from the radiator cap and out the overflow tank also. Does it have white smoke on start that lessens but never goes away? can you start the car while cold with the radiator cap off without it puking? What does the oil look like, dark and brown or light tan and milky? My beretta had these symptoms and had a blown head gasket

'89 white GTU with blue int. Just got a '00 3400 longblock dropped in. more to come.
96BlackRoseZ26

Post by 96BlackRoseZ26 »

Could a thermostat stuck in the closed position also cause that?  Just a thought.

Have you ever felt like you were flying, but didn't have wings?

Jerry Bickley
02 Navy Blue Metallic Monte Carlo SS
3800 V6/4-Speed Auto

Post by Guest »

just put a new thermostat in it and the oil looks fine also.  but when i did have the coolant too ful and started it without the cap on it would burp coolant out.  but now it might have puked enough out that it wont do it anymore.

Post by Guest »

I usually add too much coolant when topping off, and it will puke out the overflow tank.  If your gauge is not running hot, wait and see if it stops.
I would also go to a Chevy dealer and spend a few extra bucks on an OEM cap for the overflow tank.

Edit added:
I just read your other posts- I went through similar overheating issues, and finally resolved it by replacing the radiator.

souly4him

Post by souly4him »

Has anyone figured this one out. I just developed this problem and I'm a thousand miles from home. Comes out the cap, same thing but mine overheats like crazy. Just had a flush last week and yea the fan works. Mines a Quad, don't know if that makes a difference.

null

89 GT 2.8 auto
88 GT 5spd 3400 (project)
94 Z26 Quad 5spd
"It is better to think of the church in the ale house than to think of the ale house in the church." - Martin Luther
Jeff P

Post by Jeff P »

The coolant reservoir cap on my GTZ had to be tightened extremely tight or coolant would leak out.  I hope you get it figured out

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
wicked-irocz

Post by wicked-irocz »

since its a quad Id check the head gasket.  

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
souly4him

Post by souly4him »

I replaced the thermostat, water pump and had it flushed. I let it run for an hour and it never reached 1/2 way, I drove it for about a minute and it went up to 3/4.

I parked it for 10 minutes and it never went down even with the fan running. I put my foot on the accelerator and held it to 3k and the temp went down under 1/2. It stayed there, I can't figure this out. Any ideas? All I have left to check is the head gasket (no idea how to do that)

null

89 GT 2.8 auto
88 GT 5spd 3400 (project)
94 Z26 Quad 5spd
"It is better to think of the church in the ale house than to think of the ale house in the church." - Martin Luther