Car just loses power...

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...

Car just loses power...

Post by Guest »

Ok, I have a 90 gtz with 2.3, what's happening is that i can be just drving down the road and it will just lose all power, the voltage gauge drops all the way down and the car stalls. I thought it might have been a loose battery cable so i put new battery bolts in and even disconnected my system thinking it was just drawing too much. The power will come back on after like 5 minutes or so. However, today it did it again and I have no idea where to even start looking for what's causing this, any help would really be appricated, thanks.

gtuturbo

Car just loses power...

Post by gtuturbo »

Have you checked all accessible grounding points at the starting/charging sytems.
If power is coming back after five minutes, that tells me something is overheating due to a high resistance connection and is causing an open until it cools back down.
Start the car and jiggle all the connection around the alternator and battery to see if it can be simulated.

Remember, something is disabling your spark. Keep it to major connections. ÂÂÂ

Paul Keller
1988 Chevrolet Beretta GTU (turbocharged) (bought new in August 1988)
1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2017 Kia Sorento V6 AWD
2017 GMC Acadia SLE-1

Car just loses power...

Post by Guest »

I've tried to simulate the problem but no luck. It loses all power to everything except the headlights and I've checked all the grounds that I know of, as well as looked for bare wires that would cause a short. The time to get the power back isn't a constant, sometimes it just comes right back on other times it'll come back after switching the ignition on/off several times and can take up to like 5 minutes. Any ideas of things I'm overlooking would really be appriciated, thanks.

IsaacHayes

Car just loses power...

Post by IsaacHayes »

Do you mean the car stops running or that it stops running and you have no voltage to anything? Like radio and everything doesn work when "on" or "acc" ?

If the car is dying it sounds like a crank shaft position sensor...

If it's voltage related then perhaps the way you describe its the ignition switch going bad. If you move it back and forth and it come back on.. well....

Did you try putting the key to Accessory? See if when it does it and the car doesn't run/nothing works, put it to accessory, (push in and turn towards you, away from start) and see if you get radio to come on. If that's it then you know it's your ignitino switch. good luck!

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...

Car just loses power...

Post by Guest »

I got the problem fixed, it was a bad connector at the starter selonoid, but i also found some bare wire on the fuel injector wires and used heat shrink on it. What the problem was that it was dying and showing no voltage to anything other then the headlights, just incase anyone else has a similar problem.