Ractive heatshield filter.....

Archived topics from the Intakes Forum

Post by Guest »

Ok I guess I'll put a silly cone air filter on my car.
I want to show my ricer friends that my slant6 will sound a lot cooler than their weedwacker's intakes...
But I don't want to harm performance.. I want to help my 3100 breath better at higher RPM's since that is where it mainly makes it's power..

I like the Ractive heat shield filter a lot. I think it would sound cool and I'll just aim it right to the corner of my battery and fender or fabricate a hose from the end of it to the opening in the fenderwell.. (but I'd loose the sound then ..)

1) But will it flow good enough? The surface area on the cone looks pretty small, about what my stock filter is... Do I need a bigger cone for this engine like one that is bigger and longer and has the opening at the end as well? Bigger surface area=less restriction..

2) I do want a heat shielded cone and the Ractive one's look good... I don't want a bare cone if I can avoid it. Plus I want to get rid of the stock rubber tubing that has the ripples/ribs in it so it's smoother going into the throttle... So is there alternatives??

Help me out here guys... I wish they made a bigger Ractive cone filter...

Post by Guest »

How about you be real cool and drill a hole thru the bottom of your air box into the wheel well? Then drop a k&n in there, or do you already have one? That air filter can flow plenty of air.

But if you really must have a cone, well I'm sure the ractive heat shield filter can flow plenty of air too.

Post by Guest »

I've thought about that but......
A) drop in's cost a lot! ~40 bucks! I can get cone setup cheaper.
B) I want to get rid of all of the stock ribbed rubber and have a smooth tube going strait from the throttle to a cone with no 90 degree bends..
C) I do want some sound, & besides the carbonfibre Ractive one looks like a jet engine turbine! hehe

Also where the hole is is not in the bottom of the stock air box, it's before the "box" and is where part of the snorkel dips down into the hole... is this the part you were taking about cutting off?

Post by Guest »

Whats wrong with bends, the grand am gt ram air thing has plenty of those hehe.

I wasnt talkin abt cutting anything off. I ment add an additional air inlet into the bottom of the box.

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Ive never had a close up look at the Ractive heatshield filter, but it looks to me like it shields alot of AIR from the filter aswell as heat.  The odds of there being any decrease in intake air temp as a result of that filter are slim to none.  With intakes you have pretty much 2 options.  Cold air intake (REAL cold air from the fender well or wherever) or a cone filter inside the engine bay.  Sure it will be pulling in some hotter air, but the amount of air it pull in will more than make up for it.  I wouldnt bother screwing around with heat shielded cone filters if I were you.  But im not you, so do what you want

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Post by Guest »

I've seen a pic of the box they come in that shows a cut away and I've seen the shield removed on ebay. One it shows it would actually flow well and not block much air, but at the same time the filter is kind of small....

Chris88CL

Post by Chris88CL »

Go with a quality K&N filter.  They may not be the cheapest, and there might be a filter or two that will flow slightly better.  But the K&N has the best filtering/flowing ratio around and also has a darn good warranty.  Id buy K&N again anytime.  I was quite happy with their filter.

Chris
AIM: Chris88CL
lezarch@hotmail.com

Post by Guest »

If you want sound AND performance, you *could* drop the extra money and get a proper intake. A guy on my floor here at college (Canada) just bought an underhood intake from RSM. It was a lot pricier than something you could piece together yourself ($178 US + about $20 shipping), but the workmanship and fitment were excellent. It was VERY easy to install, and has plugins for the IAT sensor and PCV valve and hooks up to the MAF without a problem. In addition, it has NOT popped a mil light on his OBDII computer. It is a DEFINITE improvement over the stock airbox (it uses a large K&N cone), especially at high revs. His 3100 now has virtually NO power drop-off before the revlimiter at the top of second, and probably adds in excess of 5hp past the power peak.....actaul peak gains might be a little less (I'd say 3-5hp), but he has lost NO bottom end and gained a bunch up top. Off course, this is the butt dyno talking, but there IS a definite bit more punch up high. As for sound, about 3500-4000rpm this thing picks up a strong sucking growl, that turns mean as you pull through the power peak......it actually sounds quite a lot like the 3.4L DOHC V6 that is in my Grand Prix......very nice.

Post by Guest »

BigBuls, ah. Canada has asked me before if I liked my ultraflow... I still haven't gotten it on. (cold weather) so I couldn't tell him hehe.

I don't know I'm really good about taking my time and comming up with the best possible no-comprimise things. I'm picky about stuff and thrifty when it comes to money. And all the CAI that I've seen very few of them are cold. Most are just a cone filter in the hot engine bay. Can you get a pic of that RSM intake or a link for me? There are several intake kits on ebay that come with 2! filters and 2 sections of tubing that are true cold air and I know I could make at least 2 if not 3 intakes for the 3100 by cutting them.. I can make a proper intake.. I can make just about anything... One time I took a motorcyle ignition coil and buit a circuit to make a square wave for it. I got a hot enough orange arc out of it from a 9v battery depending on the frequency used and could set paper on fire with it! Put that on your car!!

I don't have MAF, and I will fabricate PCV and IAT ports no sweat.  What kind of cone? I mean there are several K&N style cones...

So it sounds good.. sweet. The 3100 has a "vtech-ish" power pickup at 3000 just like the honda, and I guess it gets louder at that point as well then. Neato. BTW I didn't try to hit the rev limiter in 2nd yet. What speed would I be at? There are highway patrol a lot on the highways here and I don't want to get a million points and higher insurance for testing out my car It does shift at 45mph not 48 though. The 48 shifts were when I was going up hill with 2 other people in the car last winter..

But back to my original question, would the Ractive heat shield filter have enough surface are of the filter to offer less resistance enough for this application? Or is it best for those 1.5l weedwackers? So do I need a bigger cone that has a open end and all around perfect cylinder cone area vs the ractives small "party hat" shape filter?

Post by Guest »

Quote (IsaacHayes @ Mar. 03 2002,5:23)BigBuls, ah. Canada has asked me before if I liked my ultraflow... I still haven't gotten it on. (cold weather) so I couldn't tell him hehe.

I don't know I'm really good about taking my time and comming up with the best possible no-comprimise things. I'm picky about stuff and thrifty when it comes to money. And all the CAI that I've seen very few of them are cold. Most are just a cone filter in the hot engine bay. Can you get a pic of that RSM intake or a link for me? There are several intake kits on ebay that come with 2! filters and 2 sections of tubing that are true cold air and I know I could make at least 2 if not 3 intakes for the 3100 by cutting them.. I can make a proper intake.. I can make just about anything... One time I took a motorcyle ignition coil and buit a circuit to make a square wave for it. I got a hot enough orange arc out of it from a 9v battery depending on the frequency used and could set paper on fire with it! Put that on your car!!

I don't have MAF, and I will fabricate PCV and IAT ports no sweat.  What kind of cone? I mean there are several K&N style cones...

So it sounds good.. sweet. The 3100 has a "vtech-ish" power pickup at 3000 just like the honda, and I guess it gets louder at that point as well then. Neato. BTW I didn't try to hit the rev limiter in 2nd yet. What speed would I be at? There are highway patrol a lot on the highways here and I don't want to get a million points and higher insurance for testing out my car It does shift at 45mph not 48 though. The 48 shifts were when I was going up hill with 2 other people in the car last winter..

But back to my original question, would the Ractive heat shield filter have enough surface are of the filter to offer less resistance enough for this application? Or is it best for those 1.5l weedwackers? So do I need a bigger cone that has a open end and all around perfect cylinder cone area vs the ractives small "party hat" shape filter?
I think you should do the McGavin style cold air intake. Only maybe use a different type of tubing. I mean that is definently a cold air intake. You could even wrap some of that insulation around the tubing to keep it from warming up hardly at all.
You were talking abt getting those ported intake parts I think. Might as well go all out
You have to relocate the battery but it seems worth it. You'll have it out of the way for your future turbo setup.
Any decently sized k&n should be fine. You don't need one of those 9inch ones thats for sure. Just an average sized cone.

Post by Guest »

How did you know I was thinking about turbo?
Right now I'm torn between just outright buying a 96 Z28 in full and ending up with a fast rwd car, or pumping up my beretta, but I will be limited on the power and still wont end up as fast as the camaro, which could even be modified further(and I would! ).. My auto is good for at least 200hp stock but there is limits after that as well with the engine without doing a major rebuild on both, and then it gets to the point of is it worth it? So I don't know what I'm going to do. If it cost less than the camaro to make my beretta a decently fast relaible street sleeper I may just go that route as I still am unsure of how I will setup the insurance on the camaro (even though it will be payed for I want full coverage)... I even thought about keeping both my Beretta and the Camaro and then it really would be a weekend/recreation driver and save gas at the same time. (except highway I'd take the camaro as they get near 30mpg on the highway)

Back to the topic. Yes I will wrap it with insulation I had planned that all the time. The metal these "cold" intakes have is just another thing to heat up from the engine heat.

The 62mm throttle body? Maybe. I'll probably portmatch and polsih what I can get to on my manifolds when I replace the gaskets this spring. If I'm serious I'll get the bigger newer 3x00 intakes and port them. It all depends. I want to find out my options on the Camaro before I commit to more mods on this than what I have done already..

I don't even think I need one of those 7" K&N's. I'm mainly concered with weither or not the Ractive one has enough surface area to actually flow good enough.
Ractive (middle part is filter):
\    /
|  /¯\  |
| /¯¯¯\ | --- Cone is way smaller than below:
|/.....\|   ÂÂÂ
 |  |
Standard Cone (all filter):
|\     /|
| \   / |     -Almost bigger than the heat
|  \_/  |      shield on the Ractive!
|.......|
 |   |

If I go with a standard cone I will fabricate an air box around it with a large opening going somewhere cold... But I really don't feel like doing that. I want sound but I don't want hotter air than the stock box. I really don't like FWD either btw. Just had to say that.

Post by Guest »

I donno I was just guessin abt the turbo thing
I'm not sure of your age. But I really wanted a formula firebird, or a transam when I got the z26. Insurance was considerably higher, and I'm paying a good bit on the z26. I was 20 at the time when I was calling around. But it sucked basically. And that was only on a 94 or 95 transam I think. They only had 275horsepower
You should get a 98 or newer so you can get the LS1

I'm  not really sure about that raactive. Do they list the amount of airflow in CFM. From 60degreev6 a 56MM throttlebody can flow 532CFM

I'm still wondering abt my upper/lower plenums. For the price places want for ported ones, I can buy a half decent compressor and grinder.
But I'm curious about the larger runner size on the newer ones. So I donno abt this yet.

Canada

Post by Canada »

Quote (IsaacHayes @ Mar. 03 2002,3:23)I didn't try to hit the rev limiter in 2nd yet. What speed would I be at?
It hits the rev limiter in 2nd at 91, it takes awhile to hit it (stock) but it is there.

I dont know what the 94's intake looks like, but if it is anything like the 96, you could remove your stock airbox and clamp a K&N cone filter on the end of your MAF. You would just have to find a different spot for your IAT sensor, some guys just let it hang, I'd rather find a place in the intake. You might not get the same horsepower gains but it would be cheaper.

The RSM intake was simple to install, no dash lights came up, and in made a difference you can feel. All the sensors have a place to fit nice and snug. I did spend 200 bucks on it, but it looks better than PVC tubing or cutting holes in your box.

-2007 Saturn Sky Redline
-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic 2500HD
-2006 Chevrolet Impala SS
-1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
-1996 Chevrolet Beretta

Post by Guest »

It hits the rev limiter in 2nd at 91, it takes awhile to hit it (stock) but it is there.

Is it supposed to hesitate just b4 the limiter or anything mine doesn't seem to on a flat road. And I'm runnin a stock air box.

Post by Guest »

Good Guess
I'm 20 right now. I really don't care for the firebird's except the newer style with the buldging headlights, especially the WS-6 ram air nostrials. Those look mean as hell!! The Camaro's are more modest looking. I really would love to have the LS-1 alluminium block and all but I only have so much money. I can spend about 9 grand I'd say no more. There is a 96 SS black/black leather, really nice but it's auto. I could get it for 9. But I'd rather go through a personal sale than dealership. Plus the SS I'm afraid is even more insurance $$. All other dealerships have the 6 cylinder camaro/firebirds. I don't want that. It's slower than my Beretta. Plus the 6 cylders get the same mpg as the v8's (the new ones that is) the new 6's would put up a fight w/ a beretta though. I could get a 3.8 and supercharge it and get close to 300hp, but then I would also need suspension work before it's on Z28 grounds. And gas mileage would be worse than the Z28's.

I know a UPS driver and he is really into GM & performance cars. He wanted to sell me his Corvette. He told me to get a Z28 cause there's parts for them to mod them and to put my dad on the insurance and have me as a recreation driver. He said that is what he did when he was my age when he had another Corvette.. If that doesn't work out the only way I can afford the insurance would be to get a "all show" 6cyl camaro, and then find a wrecked Z28 and buy that, then sit them side beside, and just swap the whole suspension and drive line over. Then sell it to a junkyard, and then you'd have a Z28 insured as a plain 6 camaro. I really would like to have RWD and a bigger car. But certain things have to happen for that to work. (and yes I want a sporty car so don't suggest a lux car) Allthough a 96 Impala SS would be nice, I still would want it to handle as good as my Beretta and that wouldn't work.

Base to Z26 is a decent bump in insurance. I think at least 20 a month more maybe? I can't remeber. I basicly have a Z26 now minus GFX and seats with cheaper insurance. I don't care about seats though.

Images ripped from ebay auctions:
http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc....i-1.JPG
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/382 ... ntalke.JPG
The yellow one shows how small it looks on the 3" pipe. The top shows how the filter portion looks.

Also the throttle body 56mm may flow plenty for the engine but a bigger one will flow more, even though the extra flow may not be needed, it will reduce the resistance. Get what I mean? At least I think it works that way to a point. Less work to get the same amount of air.

The places that would port them, would they do it all the way through or just about 2" in? if so then do it yourself, but if they can get all the way inside then that will help more... Else it's about as good as a gasket match.. The newer ones will work, you have to get both the lower& upper ones together though. But you will have to do something about your EGR valve. As certian years went to different ones in different places.. You will have an SES when you coast down from above 40 if the MAP sensor does not detect pressure changes when it opens the EGR vavles.. It's only an emmisions thing but does throw an annoying SES light. Mine is doing it since where the gases enter the upper plenum is clogged with carbon. I'm waiting till I take it off to unclog and clean it.
The newer style intake manifolds flow 30% more air I belive. that plus 62mm throttle, new style exhaust manifolds ported, and roller rocker heads with air filter/exhaust work would prove some great power I would imagine.