ABS Master Cylinders

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
Jeff P

ABS Master Cylinders

Post by Jeff P »

Do the master cylinders in the ABS cars have a bigger bore or something?  The exterior looks the same as the non-ABS master cylinders (aside from the ABS module on the side), but they have a different part number.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
BerettaSS

ABS Master Cylinders

Post by BerettaSS »

I have wondered the same thing Jeff.

If the exterior dementions and fittings matched up with the pre-ABS cylinders, and they had a larger bore, you could have a nice little improvement for the older cars.

Jeff P

ABS Master Cylinders

Post by Jeff P »

Yep, and it would be pretty easy to do....Easier than swapping the knuckles and brakes out.

The MVMA specs for 1992 list the bore of the master cylinder as 22.2mm (.874 in.), and the stroke as 35.7mm (1.41 in.).  If someone has the MVMA specs for 1987-1991 we could compare the specs.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
Jeff P

ABS Master Cylinders

Post by Jeff P »

Heheh, nevermind.  Service manuals have the specs  

Brake Master Cylinder Bore:  24.00 mm (0.945 in.)

Brake Master Cylinder Bore:  22.20 mm (0.875 in.)
Brake Pedal Travel:  71 mm (2.795)

Master Cylinder Bore:  22.20 mm (0.874 in.)
Brake Pedal Travel:  63.5 mm (2.5 in.)

It looks like the ABS master cylinder isn't an upgrade as it has a smaller bore than previous years.  Neither are the wheel cylinders.  Actually, some of the old wheel cylinders have a bigger bore than the new ones.  Anyway, it was a good thought

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
Racing_Rush

ABS Master Cylinders

Post by Racing_Rush »

I have read before that a Bonniville works and is much bigger.  But that was just from one source...

1991 Cavalier Z24- Racing seats, MSD wires, relocated MSD coils, 2.5" exhaust, ported exhaust manifolds, high volume oil pump, poly grafite front end, 92+ brake upgrade, drilled and slotted rotors, 1.5" lowering, 17" Klasse wheels...

Future Plans: 18's, paint, rear discs, more horsepower...
Jeff P

ABS Master Cylinders

Post by Jeff P »

That would be cool.  I wonder what year(s)...

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
Racing_Rush

ABS Master Cylinders

Post by Racing_Rush »

I am still trying to find it, I thought it was on a turbo cavalier that I saw that but its not in my favourates.  I am going to the wreckers sometime this week I will see if it bolts on or not and do a side by side comparison.  Hell I might even buy it and try it out.  I am trying to find a way to do a cheap rear disc conversion.  I bought a 91 Beretta GT parts car and I want to grab the rear "axle" and the front brakes and with some braket and welding magic make something that will work reliably and just use a brake balancer (nice for burn outs to) and a bigger master cylinder.

1991 Cavalier Z24- Racing seats, MSD wires, relocated MSD coils, 2.5" exhaust, ported exhaust manifolds, high volume oil pump, poly grafite front end, 92+ brake upgrade, drilled and slotted rotors, 1.5" lowering, 17" Klasse wheels...

Asylum

ABS Master Cylinders

Post by Asylum »

Rear discs? Grand Am GT?

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
Racing_Rush

ABS Master Cylinders

Post by Racing_Rush »

I think it might be possible to adapt the Grand AM GT disc brakes from 99+ or disc brakes from a Neon.  Most popular is the disc braks from some Pontiac 6000's but they have the wrong bolt pattern.

I want to get the rear suspension off this Beretta and try and find a way to bolt some spindles and a caliper bracket on.

ErichZ26

ABS Master Cylinders

Post by ErichZ26 »

They look the same to me, in fact for the WS6 brakes on the 1990 Grand Am's the master is the same for the larger brakes.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
bonecrrusher

ABS Master Cylinders

Post by bonecrrusher »

(Racing_Rush @ Oct. 23 2005,23:58)Q
U
O
T
EI am still trying to find it, I thought it was on a turbo cavalier that I saw that but its not in my favourates.  I am going to the wreckers sometime this week I will see if it bolts on or not and do a side by side comparison.  Hell I might even buy it and try it out.  I am trying to find a way to do a cheap rear disc conversion.  I bought a 91 Beretta GT parts car and I want to grab the rear "axle" and the front brakes and with some braket and welding magic make something that will work reliably and just use a brake balancer (nice for burn outs to) and a bigger master cylinder.
His name is James Cahill, or cahilj on V6z24.com. Hes got the Bonnie MC as well as the rear coilovers, neon disks, etc.

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z51
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevy SS
Racing_Rush

ABS Master Cylinders

Post by Racing_Rush »

I guess you must know the guy.  I just looked at your page on v6z24 good to see you got the front end on your car.

I took a look at his L  O  N  G   List of very impressive mods and didnt see it on there (but its late so I could have missed it) But I do remember the car being a very dark color. Anyways heres the link so others can drool about all the mods and he can get some claps oh yeah and by the way clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap....

cahilj