1994 base turn signal flasher location

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
mike56

1994 base turn signal flasher location

Post by mike56 »

Due to illnesses in family and other stuff i hadn't been here in a while and lost my sign in info--so I had to register a-new--glad to be back.....ok ---
I have a bad flasher--only the left side flashes right--the right side is intermittant but always lights up the dash indicator.
To my understanding this means the flasher is bad--I have never seen one go bad in stages before--but in the all the years i owned this car I never had one go bad period.
My question is---after i take the under-dash plastic panels down below the steering column--where the heck's the flasher.The Haynes manual is a bit less than clear on this.
I am going to delve deeper tomorrow due to nightfall--and will disconnect the airbag as well--any help in that regard -is appreciated as well .
Thanks in advance.-And allow me to wish you all a happy holidays.
Mike.

mike56

Re: 1994 base turn signal flasher location

Post by mike56 »

well I found it --a true pain to pry loose -easy to install---all the online info i found says it is on the right hand side of column on the column support bracket.
In actuality---on the left of the column--not on the column there is a rectangular blue plastic box facing lengthwise at right angles to the backside of the dash..it may indeed be connected to part of the column bracket-not sure now...but you can't miss the box.On the left side of the blue box on a panel connected to it is a mounting surface that faces the front of the car----a mirror would come in handy---A cream/off-white/pale yellow(pick your name for the color) squarish plug is plugged in ,on it's left is the flasher.
I left juice on and turned the key to on and engaged the left signal(the working one) so I could locate the thing by ear in order to find it.

mike56

Post by mike56 »

Ok -now I am confused.The new flasher is flashing ever so slowly for the right side---and then will decide on the next few uses to flash normally--it has a mind of it own.
bulbs and dash indicator always light up.
Does anyone know if the switch itself or a bulb or socket can do this?---My mind and the info I have found says if the bulbs light up both sockets and bulbs are good--and if dash indicator lights --it has to be the flasher..as they said if switch is bad it will not throw juice period.
Could I have gotten a bad flasher from package?(always possible I suppose) --or is the book and online information wrong and should I be thinking column switch or a bad socket or bulb regardless.?--I am seriously confused on this.

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

I wonder if it is the turn signal switch under the steering wheel.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
mike56

Post by mike56 »

It may indeed turn out to be---but --all the info available says if the dash light works--it's the flasher lol--with my luck it won't surprise me.The four-ways work fine--that flasher isn't possibly having an issue showing up in the left turn signal and NOT in the 4-ways itself could it?
It may well be the column(steering wheel) switch...At the moment I am lost--and that will be my last resort..Going to check bulbs and sockets for any possible loose connection or corrosion--but like I say the lights all light up.

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

Your turn signal switch in your steering column is bad! Also, your hazard lights are a separate part of the turn signal switch assembly and the hazard lights run off a separate flasher relay than the turn signals lights do. I have a good used turn signal switch assembly available that I recently removed off another members column (I kept the good parts off the column, the column itself was broken and replaced on the car). New turn signal switches run $30-$50 dollars and they make 2 types, with or without a tilt steering column, (mine came from a tilt steering 95 base model V6)...

You will need a steering wheel puller and a steering lock plate remover tool to change the switch yourself. It takes me under an hour to replace one. PM me if you are interested in a used turn signal switch.

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724
mike56

Post by mike56 »

Sc --that is the conclusion i was swiftly coming to since the info about where the flasher location was so far off i was thinking they were also very likely wrong about the symptons having to be due to a bad flasher..and I also didn't think it could be related to the 4 ways --but having come across a few stupid wiring circuit routings over the years so I wasn't completely sure about that---(someday ask me about a Chrysler situation I faced once lolol)
Thanks for the answer..and I am going to pm you either tonight or tomorrow...thanks again.

mike56

Post by mike56 »

Sc I tried to email you lol but emailed myself ,and haven't figured out how to pm someone. lol If you see this and I haven't yet figured it out---probably so simple i am going to feel stupid when i do figure it out ,,,,,contact me lolol

mike56

Post by mike56 »

yep so easy an idiot could have figured it out what with the pm button in plain view---all i needed was idiot to help me see it sooner lol--I sent the Pm Sc