Best way to stop dash from starting to bubble?

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
Slinky

Best way to stop dash from starting to bubble?

Post by Slinky »

I just got my hands on a bubble free light blue dash, the only one ive ever come across and i want to know the best way to stop it from bubbling..

Any suggestions?

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
Kris GTwhat?

Re: Best way to stop dash from starting to bubble?

Post by Kris GTwhat? »

dont park it in the sun. its the only way, because its whats under that always fails

1991 GTZ: RIP
2.2H8TA

Post by 2.2H8TA »

Get a dash cover!
http://dashmat.com/

1994 AQUA ZED
ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

NO armor all or comparible product. Avoid sun.

1990 Beretta GTZ 1995 Beretta Z26 1996 Beretta Z26
90INDYLIN

Post by 90INDYLIN »

Get a windshield sunscreen........and always use it.

90 INDY, '10 SS, 96 C4 CE (86,600 mi. on the Indy, 2nd at super chevy show, 02, 03,1st in 01, 04, 05, 06, 07,08 !! sadly sold)
weba

Post by weba »

Move up here where the sun does not shine...

themadness

Post by themadness »

dash mat for sure if you want to prevent bubbling and get a windshield visor. if it is already destroyed by the sun get a cover, cut out the bad spots, and presto. i tried to recover my dash with similar material and it came out......less than successful. i ripped it all off and put the cover back on and realized it looked 1000 times better than what it had tried. there are also those glue on caps for 90 and earlier. i wish that made those for my 94.

ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

themadness wrote:... if it is already destroyed by the sun get a cover, cut out the bad spots, and presto. i tried to recover my dash with similar material and it came out......less than successful. i ripped it all off and put the cover back on and realized it looked 1000 times better than what it had tried. there are also those glue on caps for 90 and earlier. i wish that made those for my 94.

I would not recommend working on the dash inside the car as you found out.

If the dash is bothering you find a replacement. There are some still out there for 91-96.

themadness

Post by themadness »

ErichZ26 wrote:
themadness wrote:... if it is already destroyed by the sun get a cover, cut out the bad spots, and presto. i tried to recover my dash with similar material and it came out......less than successful. i ripped it all off and put the cover back on and realized it looked 1000 times better than what it had tried. there are also those glue on caps for 90 and earlier. i wish that made those for my 94.

I would not recommend working on the dash inside the car as you found out.

If the dash is bothering you find a replacement. There are some still out there for 91-96.

my fail at recovering my dash was more about material choices and lack of planning. working IN the car wasnt as much of an issue. the whole thing was trial and error really.

i would really love to have found a new dash but red is far between here. surprisingly, no one in a 20 mile radius would even touch recovering mine :(

for now my dash cover is pretty cool and doesnt look bad at all. but you have to be really careful about material and color choices if you dont have grey interior

ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

8 fasteners hold the dash in.

+ unplugging harness which includes 3 more fasteners and many clips.

You purchase a used dash and if it is not you dye it.

The longest distance for a dash was one i bought in Memphis and it was driven there by someone from Canada. That was a 87-90 dash.

I have done many dash installs for repair. Many dash re-installs(dash came out for other reason)

Limiting your area radius to 20miles puts a limit on any progress.

themadness

Post by themadness »

ErichZ26 wrote:8 fasteners hold the dash in.

+ unplugging harness which includes 3 more fasteners and many clips.

You purchase a used dash and if it is not you dye it.

The longest distance for a dash was one i bought in Memphis and it was driven there by someone from Canada. That was a 87-90 dash.

I have done many dash installs for repair. Many dash re-installs(dash came out for other reason)

Limiting your area radius to 20miles puts a limit on any progress.

chi-town to memphis! thats commitment! :Bravo:

thats a lot more work to throw into a daily driver i guess. i stopped at 20 miles out of sheer frustration. we have three upholsterers that do vehicles here in town and they all refused. one of them even said he did dashwork but refused to do mine. i did call a place near fort bragg and they refused as well. hell they wouldnt even give an estimate of what it would cost.

ErichZ26

Post by ErichZ26 »

They refused to do it because there is no cap available which is the quick fix. "Just dashes" in California charges about $1100 round trip for that repair + removal and installation. Their repair is a vacuum overlay and is not 100% a match. The grain may be different. In fact the grain is different from 87-90 to 91-96 even though some minor pieces carried over the old grain.

And this is why to anyone who reads this post...if you have a nice dash..don't Fudge it Up! Cover it and do not spray protectant on it...just clean it with mild detergent and cover from sun.

I'll compare this to fixing a damaged fender. You can find fender like the one in my photo below and bend it out...fill it in with a lot of mud, maybe even weld i a piece of old steel beer can...then attempt to smooth it out then paint it. OR you can remove the bad fender and find a good used replacement or new and replace the fender and just refinish.

Interestingly enough the job that i got the dash for that came from Canada and was picked up in Memphis was done across the street from an interior shop that could not find a decent dash to do the job. There was no fix...it was a replacement job.

Slinky

Post by Slinky »

what would be best to clean / preserve the dash?

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
Z26_T

Post by Z26_T »

don't clean with armor all^^ see above. I clean it with glass cleaner. Avoid the sun and buy a sun visor if you want.

heavywoody wrote:Beretta, fast, reliable, and cost effective are words that should not be used in the same sentence.
95' BRM Z26. cammed/ported 3400/3500 Hybrid. HM282, OBD2, Garret T3/T04E 60 Trim, IC.
xIx ANTI xIx

Post by xIx ANTI xIx »

That's good to know cause the dash in my car is destroyed and i need to replace it. The last owner didn't cared about it though ... :(