head unit cuts out when i hit a bump

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
themadness

head unit cuts out when i hit a bump

Post by themadness »

if i hit a bump in the road my radio cuts out. it doesnt cut all the way out but the volume on each front speaker drops and comes back in at different levels. so the left one is louder than the right. i pulled the stereo and checked all the connections which are good. i also checked the battery cables for looseness. any suggestions?

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Re: head unit cuts out when i hit a bump

Post by heavywoody »

Check the connections on the speakers themselves. Or you could have a bad amp in the headunit.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
themadness

Post by themadness »

they're good

DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

First off, is the head unit stock or an aftermarket?

For stock units, providing the harness is still original OEM, the only loose issues would be in the connectors at the back of the radio or at the speakers..... Or the stereo needs replacement.

If this is an aftermarket head unit, then all sorts of things can be a culprit, not the least of which a bad wiring job. Done properly, it should have a harness adapter which is connected to the head unit's wiring with at least a good crimp style butt connector on each wire, but preferably soldered and covered with heat shrink tubing on each connection. If they are just twisted together then taped with electrical tape, that can be a source of issues, as I know first hand. So the definition of "they're good" doesn't tell me much. Twisted/taped is not "good".

Outside of possible wiring problems such as these, the only other factor would be the head unit or amp that is powering the speakers themselves.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

many times (if it is an aftermarket head unit with a removable face), the connection between the face and the main unit is the culprit. sometimes cleaning the connection fixes it. other than that, pull it out and make sure the connections in the back and any wire splices are solid. also check for a bad ground.

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
themadness

Post by themadness »

its an aftermarket jvc with a detachable face. i absolutely hate that thing. i will double check the faceplate for looseness

Thompson128

Post by Thompson128 »

berettaboi wrote:many times (if it is an aftermarket head unit with a removable face), the connection between the face and the main unit is the culprit. sometimes cleaning the connection fixes it. other than that, pull it out and make sure the connections in the back and any wire splices are solid. also check for a bad ground.
This ^^^^