Remote Mount Turbo

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
berettaagain

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by berettaagain »

Has anyone remote-mounted a turbo on a Beretta yet? I know this is kinda new thing and it seems like it would be a good idea. I was just wondering if anyone has done/attempted to do this. It seems to make a lot of sense to do things this way due to an already cramped engine bay and all the other good things associated with an aft mounted kit. Lemme know your thoughts and/or concerns
Thanx Again
Brian

Ribz80

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by Ribz80 »

Its been done with much sucess on a 3400 swapped Z24 that broke into the 12's.  The L and J are very similiar so it shows how it can be done.

91' GT  SOLD
99' Saab Viggen Stg-4 315hp- in European Car Magazine  7/2006
wicked-irocz

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by wicked-irocz »

You will lose a lot of efficiency due to the thermal loss and you will need a pump to pump the oil back to the engine.  You will also have more lag.  If you have a manual trany a remote mount is a very bad idea, its not ideal on an automatic either but its much more livable.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
nocutt

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by nocutt »

Remote turbo aren't new...due to the controversy I will just say this...if you think you can pull it off go ahead...it would be less complex than a traditional setup...trying to find merits will only net argument...

Joecoolfreak

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by Joecoolfreak »

(Ribz80 @ Nov. 04 2005,14:32)Q
U
O
T
EIts been done with much sucess on a 3400 swapped Z24 that broke into the 12's.  The L and J are very similiar so it shows how it can be done.

http://khturbo.net/rmtz24/RMTZ24.html

Information and pictures related to the install.

1988GTU

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by 1988GTU »

I find the most costly part of the turbo project is the tubes/pipes.  So when you go and do this and you are having a shop bend it or are buying prebent stuff, it's not going to be cheap.
Other than that, its cheap IF you plan on installing it yourself.

_________
-------------
BerettaLove32

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by BerettaLove32 »

They installed one on a chevy HHR on some show the other night and the dude said it runs like 500 degrees cooler bit being in the engine bay. And yes I'm too lazy to read the links so it was probably mentioned somewhere.

Ribz80

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by Ribz80 »

It was on Rides.

91' GT  SOLD
99' Saab Viggen Stg-4 315hp- in European Car Magazine  7/2006
berettaagain

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by berettaagain »

Yeah I know all the benefits and  to answer your post Irocz   there is no added lag if you know how to drive....... I wouls be installing this myself and it seems like this would be a great idea for my project so thanx guys for all your input and information

Racing_Rush

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by Racing_Rush »

MMM that Z24 is hot.  I have a question why can your have the turbo on its own oiling system?  Have a resivor, electric pump, and oil cooler?  stick it in the trunk.

1991 Cavalier Z24- Racing seats, MSD wires, relocated MSD coils, 2.5" exhaust, ported exhaust manifolds, high volume oil pump, poly grafite front end, 92+ brake upgrade, drilled and slotted rotors, 1.5" lowering, 17" Klasse wheels...

Future Plans: 18's, paint, rear discs, more horsepower...
berettaagain

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by berettaagain »

Im assuming that would work.........but I myself would have to do more research but one of the others may know

Racing_Rush

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by Racing_Rush »

Well at least you could run full synthetic for th turbo and dont have to worry about it leaking through the seals on your engine.

1991 Cavalier Z24- Racing seats, MSD wires, relocated MSD coils, 2.5" exhaust, ported exhaust manifolds, high volume oil pump, poly grafite front end, 92+ brake upgrade, drilled and slotted rotors, 1.5" lowering, 17" Klasse wheels...

Future Plans: 18's, paint, rear discs, more horsepower...
1988GTU

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by 1988GTU »

You need to run a cooler and figure a way to do it to were it will not lag the pump.

_________
-------------
wicked-irocz

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by wicked-irocz »

(berettaagain @ Nov. 05 2005,11:27)Q
U
O
T
EYeah I know all the benefits and  to answer your post Irocz  there is no added lag if you know how to drive....... I wouls be installing this myself and it seems like this would be a great idea for my project so thanx guys for all your input and information
I have talked with a buddy of mine about this before and we both agree with shifting a manual that you will lose a fare bit of pressure with a remote mount turbo.  He witnessed a rear mounted turbo on a 4th gen camaro 6 speed that was tuned race a exhaust only LT1 camaro 6 speed a few times and the turbo camaro barely won each time, were talking a tenth or two, because, as the driver described it, its impossible to keep the pressure up when shifting.

On the highway that same turbo camaro is killer because of the lack of shifting.

If you run a remote mount turbo and have a smaller A/R to keep away from lag you are effectivly puting a larger cork in the bottle, thats why the higher the A/R the higher the power(to a point).

I know that this argument can go on and on but the only thing Ill agree on is its a decent idea for people that dont want to take time to do it correctly and have an automatic.  BTW, im not kidding about the auto part, look into it more and youll see that very few remote mounts are in manual cars.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
BerettaLove32

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by BerettaLove32 »

My thing with remote mounting it is with all that piping you get a lot of drag, which makes it less efficient already. beretta engine bays aren't that badly cramped. I'd just stick the battery in the trunk and mount the turbo there.