Remote Mount Turbo

Want to know how to get more out of your Beretta? Or have a mod you would like to share?
TurboGTU

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by TurboGTU »

Remote mount turbos are good for a DIY'er. Especially if you want your engine bay clean. They work like regular turbo setups..but they are slower in response time. They will work good for drag racing or top speed. BUT im talking heckteck driving like Rally or Auto-X. With drag racing..all you have to do is either load the engine and /or retard the timming to spool it up on the holeshot. On top speed...the engine is always loaded. Stop/go/part throttle..the boost build up time/response time is lagggy. Just think of it.
What flows better and pressurises quicker for the intake side...6 feet of 2in pipe or 20 feet of 2in pipe?
On the exhaust...3 feet of 1 3/4 pipe or 15 feet of 1 3/4 pipe? Rember..this is for build up on boost.

There might be a box that Suburu and DSM guys use that creates a "backfire" to keep the turbo spooled and boosting while shifting. But I don't think your palnning on winning any major events. Granted...YOu might not even notice any major response time differences to note it on a street car. If this is for competition ($$$$)..you might want to invest on the traditianal setup..or the box to keep things spooling/pressurised.

88 IMSA Beretta GTU w/McLaren TGP turbo system. Crane 260 cam, Ported heads...Lots more. Soon Bullet proof 3t40.
90 Black Turbo Grand Prix  -- The restoration project.
nocutt

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by nocutt »

EDIT:
Quick thread hijack...sorry guys
Tgtu...go to other tech forum on bnet, look for "some questions..."

Ok back to schedules program  

Whoopsie ÂÂÂ
Edit...'brain must have skipped a beat'...
this paragraph should actually read...
Q
U
O
T
E....Xhaust coming out of the heads are at about 16XX-14XX degrees, while at the back end of the car a WHOPPING 2XX-3XX degrees (less with a Cat) at idle and at WOT I don't see this going any higher than 7XX degrees. So what is the bulk of the rear mounts energy? Mostly volume!!
As the volume increases (gas) so does temp, obviously ...sorry for that...
Rex,
   In a manner of speaking we are perhaps saying the same thing on different ideals...
the variables that exist between your engine and the aforementioned might be all in a matter of tune...I know this particular engine was running rich from the factory. The point I was trying to make there is you easily can loose up to 1XXX degrees from the point the xhaust exits the heads to the tailpipe.

I brought up C.A.R.B for a reason. Those that market the rear mounts like sts claim this units are beneficial for Smog/emission test...this is very true, in the sense that the OE smog equipment IS NOT removed from the vehicle (PreCat, Resonators, Cat etc). In that context, you then will be robbing the turbine from heat needed to do work efficiently...The guys with CI get away with it for the most part because they have closer pulses/Rev...

clarification sorry for the bubu

rweatherford

Remote Mount Turbo

Post by rweatherford »

Yes we are saying the same things, just 200 degrees difference.  I guess it's because I have aluminum heads, but I don't want any 1600 degree exhaust temps.  I start sweating at 1400 degrees.

Either way the remote system works, but no I wouldn't use it for ultimate power or performance.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)