Need help fixing my drivers seat

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
jking18

Need help fixing my drivers seat

Post by jking18 »

My seat is leaning towards the passenger side. Does anyone know how to fix this? What would I need to fix this? Could someone please help
This is the only picture I have that shows the seat well.

1989 Beretta Base 2.8
DTMAce

Re: Need help fixing my drivers seat

Post by DTMAce »

You need to replace the inner sliding rail. Here are a few pics:

Before

After

You better hope that just the rail is broken, usually the bottom end breaks out and the seat guide then goes down and causes the seat to tip. Otherwise the entire mount in the floorboard has come loose and tore out, that will have to be fixed something like this:

Mount repair

Yeah, that means cutting the carpet away or removing it in order to get to that, along with pulling the seats, the console, everything. Pain in the ass, and I have fixed this TWICE since owning the car. Good luck!

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

jking18

Post by jking18 »

Alright, thanks DTMAce. I cant really check now because of the snow everywhere but im hoping the rail just came loose or has broken.

1989 Beretta Base 2.8
berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

yeah same deal on my car, the insert rusted and got pulled out. i will likely make a metal or wood support to stuff under the rail and hold it in it's natural height... a temp fix, and i know it would be pretty in an accident.

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
jking18

Post by jking18 »

OK....both of my seat brakets are still connected. Could it be the seat?

1989 Beretta Base 2.8
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Possible. But check the rail first, is the bottom section at the back broken out? The guide for the seat (nylon piece) rides in the rail. Mine one time a long while back actually broke the rail itself, in that the "wheel" weakened the steel rail guide and broke out the bottom of the rail and bent it toward the floor. If that makes any sense. Then the wheel would basically drop out of the rail and the seat would tilt over. Just as if the rear mount was busted/rusted out.

Otherwise it may be the seat itself that has a problem, may want to look over the adjuster, and its parts.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Mine broke the same as DTM's as well. Very common

beretta

Post by beretta »

my 88 had the same problem with the driver seat, i think its actually the steel frame in the back part of the seat where it bolts to the bottom section. i put Z seats in my 88 to fix the problem, but i dont like them in there now. it feels too weird to sit in it and drive it after driving a 96 Z. the seats feel like they sit higher in it.

in the next couple weeks im going to pull my 89 gt seats out of storage and take the covers off and see whats going on with the driver seat, probably the same problem with yours. im not sure if theres a way to re weld it or make up a new bracket or whatever in there is common to brake.