Wilwood kit

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Wilwood kit

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I had my own spacers made. Saved a bunch of money. I would have done the baer j-body kit if it was a bit cheaper but I think I spent less on the n-body setup. Plus I didn't mind the bolt pattern change. Plus I like the larger heavier duty bearing.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Those are effin gorgeous

1 Of 1 Street Legal Centri S/c Beretta's In Existance
88_GTU

Post by 88_GTU »

I know it's been a really long time but I figured I'd update a bit. After some test fitting, there is no way this kit will fit under the stock GTU or GTZ rims without some serious spacers. I decided that since I'm going all out on this car I'd just get the rims I really want and picked up a set of 16x7 OZ Ultraleggeras with a 35mm offset. These clear the 4 piston caliper by roughly 1mm! I really like the way they look.

Here's a couple pics:
Attachments
oz1.jpg
oz2.jpg

88 GTU 5spd 67k black
89 GTU 3500/5spd swapped 79k white
08 TBSS LS2 AWD
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I wonder why you have so much fitment issues... They say on willwoods website it fits some 15" wheels. I guess ours are just so thick behind the spokes.

This is however the easiest kit to use and you can Modify the knuckle yourself to work, vs the baer kit you need to send it to them.

But it is 1k in price brand new...

For those wondering
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeK ... modoption=

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
weba

Post by weba »

Remember that with that close wheel to caliper clearance, you can't have Any play on the wheel bearings.

88_GTU

Post by 88_GTU »

weba wrote:Remember that with that close wheel to caliper clearance, you can't have Any play on the wheel bearings.

Thanks Weba, hadn't thought much about that. I'll be checking the clearance again soon when I get the tires mounted. If needed I'll have the machine shop make me a 2mm spacer or something.

Modified, the GTU/INDY rims have what I'll call an internal lip, for lack of a better term, that actually make the 16" rim more like a 14" rim on the inside. I'll try to pop off a wheel tonight and snap a pic. I cant speak for the GTZ rim as I dont have one laying around anymore.

J
Last edited by 88_GTU on Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

88 GTU 5spd 67k black
08 TBSS LS2 AWD
88_GTU

Post by 88_GTU »

So Weba got me thinking and I looked for better options for wheel hub/bearing assemblies and found that the 95-04 cavalier has the same part# as the beretta. So then I looked at the driveshaft shop and found they have axle and hub assemblies for the cavy. I sent them an email to try to get specifics on the hubs, my guess is that the splines in the hubs are made specific to the axles they produce and may be completely different from stock. Hopefully I'll get an answer in the next few days.

J

88 GTU 5spd 67k black
08 TBSS LS2 AWD
88_GTU

Post by 88_GTU »

Here's the pics of the inside of the GTU rims. It shows the inside lip I was speaking of. The "lip" actually comes back into the rim roughly an inch and a half and shrinks the inside diameter to almost 13"!!! That's the reason the kit wont work on these rims. I'd like to have a look at another GTZ wheel at some point to see if it is better suited for the kit.

J
Attachments
gturim2.jpg
gturim1.jpg

88 GTU 5spd 67k black
08 TBSS LS2 AWD
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

88_GTU wrote:So Weba got me thinking and I looked for better options for wheel hub/bearing assemblies and found that the 95-04 cavalier has the same part# as the beretta. So then I looked at the driveshaft shop and found they have axle and hub assemblies for the cavy. I sent them an email to try to get specifics on the hubs, my guess is that the splines in the hubs are made specific to the axles they produce and may be completely different from stock. Hopefully I'll get an answer in the next few days.

J
Cavy hubs and axle ends are exactly the same, no stronger or better so I don't know why your looking at those. And the driveshaft shop will make any axle for you if you want it.

The heavier bearings out there are for a GA, but then you loose the 5x100 deal. Thats what I'm running.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
88_GTU

Post by 88_GTU »

The reason I was looking at the cavy hubs is because the driveshaft shop makes heavy duty hubs for the cavy. If they work on the beretta that's a better option than stock.

J

88 GTU 5spd 67k black
08 TBSS LS2 AWD
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Going by their product page the bearing is only changed on the center spline count and size of that hole, there is no note of the bearing being any stronger than stock, it's just custom made to fit their larger outer CV joint.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Amateur

Post by Amateur »

Just out of curiosity, could you measure one end of the rotor to the end the caliper. This interests me and I just want a rough measurement to see if it can clear my 15's. It may, or it may not. One way to find out!

DanteGTZ

Post by DanteGTZ »

Sorry to dig a post out from the dead but after reading up on the Wilwood kit (and ordering one), I've got to ask...

Is the need for spacers and new wheel studs only required to clear the spokes on your wheel of choice? I'm assuming that I won't know if I need spacers/longer studs until I compare the caliper against the inside of the wheel, correct?

Thanks fellas.

1993 Quasar Quad4 GTZ - Project WTF

Previous Berettas: 90 GT, 93 Quasar GTZ, 93 Garnet GTZ, 93 Aqua GT
Cliff8928
Administrator

Post by Cliff8928 »

Well, you could measure....

Cliff Scott