Suspension Beef!

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
Koots

Suspension Beef!

Post by Koots »

I'm looking to get my 95 Corsica as a strong DD, but I live in Goose Bay, Labrador...which is 300-500 miles from the nearest equivalent size town. Anyway...

I was looking into strut bars (any recommendations), a rear sway bar and new springs.

I had a set of good strut bars and a tow hitch on an old Civic I had and it made a world of difference. It let my sport suspension do it's work better and it hit bumps and dips with confidence. SO i'd like to see similar results with these as well. I just don't know where to buy from or which brand is worth my money.

Also, I was looking on another website that were selling Rally springs (slight lift) and a Bilstein dampers. That would set me back $1000 or so.

Those might be too harsh for a DD. I just want a comfortable controlled ride that could handle 60MPH+ driving on gravel/dirt roads for hours at a time. There's only 2 roads in and out of town, one is finishing being paved and the other is still gravel. So a car needs to be durable to handle runs up and down the road like I want to be.

Koots

Re: Suspension Beef!

Post by Koots »

It seems I was looking at Mantapart and didn't see the 2 year old "We're Closed!!!" on the opening page :P

What's the best option out there for Ball-joints? anything better than Moog or ACDelco?

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

There is nothing wrong with Moog or ACDelco... I'm actually running Napa Premiums on mine and don't have any issues.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Koots

Post by Koots »

3X00-Modified wrote:There is nothing wrong with Moog or ACDelco... I'm actually running Napa Premiums on mine and don't have any issues.

Moog and ACDelco are generally the best you can get, besides something extremely custom. I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with them.

Thanks for the response, sweet car too :D

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I used to run Moog but went to Napa when I realized they use a slightly different design. Apparently Moog is not a full ball and Napa's are. But either do work.

This is a McQuay-Norris/Napa cross section
McQuay-Norris
McQuay-Norris
balljointsprodshot.gif (11.57 KiB) Viewed 5869 times
I don't have a Moog image for comparison though, so it could be marketing and the high end Moog's are very similar. But I hear many saying Spicer/McQuay-Norris is a very good brand.

And Thanks :)

Info I found from another site
Both NAPA and Raybestos use Affinia Group products... which boxes for Napa. Affinia owns brands like Wix Filters, Raybestos, Spicer, and many more...Federal Mogul owns Moog, Wagner, Precision, Carter...NAPA doesn't make products..they buy and put in their box...Most quality auto parts stores..not big box retailers which try to be the low cost providers..have an economy line as well as the premium line...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Nice to see some Corsica owners on the board, welcome!

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

Koots

Post by Koots »

We finally got a NAPA to open up here in my town, So I know who to go to for suspension parts. I always hear good things about Napa's premium and gold line of products.

Know of any place online that sells the cavy front strut bar and bottom brace?

I called the stealership and they don't carry that anymore...so i've got to seek elsewhere.

I love the smooth, boat like ride, but I can do with more stiffness in the chassis.

Koots

Post by Koots »

DTMAce wrote:Nice to see some Corsica owners on the board, welcome!
I hope to represent the Corsica's by making a clean and optimized daily driver...with maybe a little lift LOL

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

95 Corsi the lower brace will not fit, the 4t60e is in the way... It kinda sucks.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Koots

Post by Koots »

I must have a late build 94, because I still have a 3spd. according to shifter.

It sucks not having OD, but it'll get better mileage than my K5 or my 2500HD LOL

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Do you have a 3100 engine if so you don't have the 3speed.. and a 4 speed will still show only 3 gear selections, OD D and L.

Also if it's a 2.2 you will have a 3 speed yes.

94+ v6's were all 4t60e's... The 3t40 was only used on the 2.2L's in those years. 93 was the last 3t40 mated to a v6, as well as the last manual v6 option as well.

Your sig update answered my question, so yes you have the 2.2 so the lower brace should work.
Last edited by 3X00-Modified on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sig update answered question.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Well with the 2.2 you can go all MRZ STB's. Or Cavy front to save money and then the MRZ for the rear. MRZ is in Canada by the way.

keep'em flying!
Koots

Post by Koots »

Yeah, those guys are closer to me than they are to most of you LOL

Anyone know what the price on their rear brace is? their website doesn't have a Beretta/Corsica front brace yet...is it secretly available? if so, how much :D

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

The rear is 85USD(that is the only one that I know of that is made for the L-Body). You an use a the STB listed under Cavalier. That was like 130USD or more.
Looks like the site is down right now.

keep'em flying!
Koots

Post by Koots »

That's a fair price to pay for strengthening a unibody.