folding@home team

Feel free to post about anything here, just keep it work safe.
diedemus

folding@home team

Post by diedemus »

I set up a folding@home team for bnet, our team number is 218528

you can get the client here

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Re: folding@home team

Post by heavywoody »

I'm confused on how that relates to this forum. Why do we have this?

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

There are these people around the world who think its cool to run that on their system, tying up their resources, though its supposed to be for a good cause. Its something you can do while the computer isn't being used.

Personally, I am on mine far too often to bother with it. Not to mention using more power (cause that thing takes 100 percent of the CPU time) and what not.

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

diedemus

Post by diedemus »

it isn't a matter of "being cool"

A lot of the tech people on this forum have their pc on 24/7, this is here for those that do run folding@home, or have an interest in it. If you don't, then don't run it. It doesn't "tie up your resources" if you have it running when the pc is idle. You can also set the % of the cpu it uses, or have it only use the gpu, which if all you do is surf the internet most of the time you would not notice anyway, provided your gpu is supported.

as far as how it relates to this forum, it doesn't directly but because we are a community there is the option to do this as part of the community.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

DTMAce wrote:There are these people around the world who think its cool to run that on their system, tying up their resources, though its supposed to be for a good cause. Its something you can do while the computer isn't being used.

Personally, I am on mine far too often to bother with it. Not to mention using more power (cause that thing takes 100 percent of the CPU time) and what not.
It takes your Idle PC and turns everyones computer into one large super computer... I would suggest reading up on Folding before shooting it down like that because you apparently don't realize it DOES go to a good cause, not just "supposed" to.

Read up on it... before you rag on it...

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Sounds the same as SETI. I use to run that all the time and my memory would burn out from time to time. I quit running it and have had no problems. The sticks that I was running were not low end by the way. I lost three sets total over the years that I ran SETI.
Just watch it boys and girls. Set this at a low rate if you can.

keep'em flying!
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

Already have read up on it.

Wasn't ragging on it at all, just commenting on the fact that few people understand it. But its not something I'm doing or going to do right now, and that's my choice. My main computer has limited resources as it is, and tying it up doing folding is not a good idea. At night it backs up to an external every day, and that process already ties up the system for 5 hours. (lot of data)

Maybe someday later when I can build and set aside one machine and just dedicate it to ONLY folding, then I can contribute a bit. Don't beat me up for what appears to be a lack of vision. :P

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

diedemus

Post by diedemus »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Sounds the same as SETI. I use to run that all the time and my memory would burn out from time to time. I quit running it and have had no problems. The sticks that I was running were not low end by the way. I lost three sets total over the years that I ran SETI.

It is similar to SETI but working on diseases is worth more to me than aliens

I doubt that SETI was the only contributing factor to your ram dying since the impact on ram is pretty minimal with the type of computations involved with either.

Koots

Post by Koots »

I will definitely save this for the future, I had to downgrade to an old laptop when my new-ish one broke on me.

So resources are limited currently :(

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

diedemus wrote:
Money pit Beretta wrote:Sounds the same as SETI. I use to run that all the time and my memory would burn out from time to time. I quit running it and have had no problems. The sticks that I was running were not low end by the way. I lost three sets total over the years that I ran SETI.

It is similar to SETI but working on diseases is worth more to me than aliens

I doubt that SETI was the only contributing factor to your ram dying since the impact on ram is pretty minimal with the type of computations involved with either.
It sure did seem like that was the problem, but it could have been the Crucial Ballisticx.I wasn't the only one to problems with them. Funny thing is I was running SETI for a friend(so was his brother) and we all had problems. But we were all running Crucial at the time.
Yeah looking for ET wasn't a real good use of the computers time. My old build did beat everyone in his group though.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

DTMAce wrote:There are these people around the world who think its cool to run that on their system, tying up their resources,
DTMAce wrote:Don't beat me up for what appears to be a lack of vision. :P

Choose your words a little wiser next time, that comes across as very negative.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
DTMAce

Post by DTMAce »

My apologies. Wasn't meant to. Been a crazy couple of weeks.

Rex 2.0
Global Moderator

Post by Rex 2.0 »

I have been folding for a couple of years now. My current team is me and my brother. I have my old Phenom II X4 945 clocked to 3.6GHz with 2gb of ram that I use for it. I also use it as a secondary computer for surfing the web and stuff in my garage.

My team number is 199426. I am Spikeroche.

I wonder if I can set it up so both teams get credit.

A lot of people on here are tech savvy and might find this relevant. I probably would of put it in off topic instead of a global announcement.

92 GTZ TURBO <-- Rex Mobile
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

This gives me a reason to rebuild my old PC and set it aside to do something... I'm never going to sell it.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
diedemus

Post by diedemus »

Its set as a global announcement because it was an announcement. It gets moved to the appropriate area when the time frame is up for the announcement.