4X6's not as loud as i thought

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
themadness

Re: 4X6's not as loud as i thought

Post by themadness »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Still wonder why he didn't go with 6x9's. You can get some that go down to 25htz. Atleast you could at one time. There must be some out there that will go down to 30htz. Just remember that the range of your ear is 20-20,000htz. Anything over or under that is more or less a waste. To me super tweets are a scam.
Bose have amps on the speakers.
i will get some 6X9's eventually. just a matter of time 8)

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I guess you had to drill new holes to get those to fit. They now have a big vented box.
:wink:

Did you try the balance?
Really with a stock radio you need lower ohm speakers.

keep'em flying!
themadness

Post by themadness »

:unknown: drill new holes??

Money pit Beretta

Really? Thought you would. And I was also giving you crap.

keep'em flying!
Money pit Beretta

Oh yeah I forgot about the strange wiring that GM did. My car is freaking weird when it come to that. My 90 was the same way. It's best to rewire with a lower gauge.
I have never been a fan of Sony's. I was a big Infinity fan but they were bought out by Fosgate(a lesser quality company). By the way Infinity's have lower ohms and should work well with a stock radio. I had some in my 90GT and the sun cracked them. Replaced them with Fosgate's and there was a big change in a bad way.

keep'em flying!
themadness

Post by themadness »

not sure how it is now but back in the day it was:

kicker
JBL
JL audio
pioneer
cerwin vega
alpine
fosgate.....

and a couple more i forget. but mainly kicker. the fellas i hung out with would scrape to get a couple 12 in. kickers in the trunk

Money pit Beretta

Ok it look as if I found another older guy on here. It was Vega's back in my day. My friend had a bad a** Kicker 10in in a box he built that would beat all the other kids twin 12in junk subs. Plus he had Vega 6x9's. I forget what other amps he had but his front was a Lanzar(now they are junk).
LOL I had some Vega stealth 6x9's(still do) and when those came out it was the end of Vega. Those things sound like someone has thier hand over them. They are better with an amp, but still are very low end.

keep'em flying!
themadness

Post by themadness »

if memory serves me right and my concussions dont kick in, i had a couple different set ups.

the first was JL audio tens in a homemade box with a small yamaha amp. factory front and backs with a pioneer tape deck. it wasnt too bad. i hocked it to pay my pager bill. yep i said pager.

then i had 2 kickers in a band pass box with mirrors and a small neon light. pushed it with a HUGE yamaha amp(hand me down) that hung off the sides of the box when it was mounted. cant remember the specs on it though. the front speakers were hand me down pyle with a newer jvc cd player. that set up hit pretty damn hard and i was proud as hell. i have no clue what happened to that stuff but i ran it right up until i got rid of the car.

berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

the stock wiring is just perfect for just about all speaks if your running on stock or aftermarket deck power. if you are running an amp for your speaks, then it's time to upgrade, and that's kinda the way it goes when you have all your speaker wires running towards the back instead of stock towards the front anyways!

yes i remember cerwin vega's were good crap... i still have my JL 10W-6's (close to 15 years old now! they have been through 2 others before me, one needs a rebuild - i got 3) in my truck...

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
Money pit Beretta

Damn I hate when a good company goes bad. They try to sell off of their name and not the quality that they had. I miss the old days even more now.
You guys had some nice stuff and I love as good sounding system that didn't cost much.
I sure don't know how to trust now. They all give you one thing and take something away.

keep'em flying!
Chad91GTZ

Post by Chad91GTZ »

Your HU isn't capable of giving the speakers the wattage they need.

My Motortopia

Bfest Committee 2012, 2013, 2014
Bfest AND Bust 2012 Winner: First ever clutch swap at Berettafest!
Bfest 2013 Watermelon Award: Boob shaped hood dents FTW
berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

good audio stuff was still pricey back then... most brands have their cheaper crap, mid range and then 'good stuff'.

if you are going for great sound, Chad is exactly right... most decks are around 20-28 watts rms per channel... (45-50 watts max). the 4x6"s are probably rated at 80-100 max. most 6x9"s are closer to 200 watts max.

the stock old delco rear 6x9"s in most gm cars from the late 80's-mid 90's actually sounded great for a stock stereo... i'm not sure if they were lower impedance as well... i think that has been discussed before

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks