what to do with broken electronics?

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
themadness

what to do with broken electronics?

Post by themadness »

what is a good way to recycle semi working electronics? i have mentioned an aftermarket cd/dvd HU that i got a month ago in another thread. it was questionable whether or not worked to start with. i have tested it and while it functions here and there, i dont think its worth putting in a car. its an older discontinued model and has enough small problems to send it to the island of misfit toys.

-the front face is supposed to mechanically come down on its own to reveal the cd slot. it doesnt, you have to fold it down manually and the gears grind so that feature is funked up.
-it plays cd's but may or may not give them back. i took about 30 mins of fiddling to finally get it to spit out the cd.
-it plays dvds but the screen is SMALL and has lines from time to time. also has the eject issue.
-the antenna connection on the inside seems to be loose. maybe a solder issue
- the control knob in the center is wonky. never can tell if it will change the volume or station. it simply doesnt always work.
-the wires on the harness are ridiculously short. less than the tip of your pinky finger to the first knuckle
-it has goo on the casing from what appears to be where duct tape was wrapped around it at some point
-it doesnt have the metal installation sleeve

overall its kinda like a nice double din's retarded younger step brother from an incestuous trailer park love triangle. is there way to salvage or maybe re-use it or is it ready for file 13?

Chad91GTZ

Re: what to do with broken electronics?

Post by Chad91GTZ »

Is it a Kenwood? What's the model number? I need parts.

My Motortopia

Bfest Committee 2012, 2013, 2014
Bfest AND Bust 2012 Winner: First ever clutch swap at Berettafest!
Bfest 2013 Watermelon Award: Boob shaped hood dents FTW
themadness

Post by themadness »

its a pyle pld52mu

Chad91GTZ

Post by Chad91GTZ »

Oh, well garbage can then. Lol

My Motortopia

Bfest Committee 2012, 2013, 2014
Bfest AND Bust 2012 Winner: First ever clutch swap at Berettafest!
Bfest 2013 Watermelon Award: Boob shaped hood dents FTW
themadness

Post by themadness »

surely you electronics gurus have an idea of what to do with it? other than trash that is :D

scd88ga

Post by scd88ga »

I have a place a half mile from my house the recycles electronics and will take them for free. Check your yellow pages and see if you can find a similar place.

'94 Quad 4 H.O. 5 speed Z26, Red & Rare! 1 of 896 Quad Z26's and of those it's 1 of 167 red paint/gray interior!
Need A Quality Used Part? Contact me at Posihead Auto Parts!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Posihead ... 3779691724