intake question

Post information about intake systems. Either purchased or custom made

intake question

Post by Guest »

Was thinking about putting an intake in my 88 beretta base, but im not sure if I should just go cheap and get a hot air intake, or if I should shell out the extra cash and get a CAI. My car has a MAF, and didn't see any kind of sticker under the hood saying it got the software update or whatever it is it needs. Not quite sure what I would ask for if I were to go to a dealer to get the update done. Any information on this stuff would be appreciated as I couldn't find a whole lot about it when I searched the forums. I'm pretty sure im going to need to get the intake done before the car will pass inspection because the stock air box thats in there is rusted shut and I would say the filter in there is probably shot to hell.

intake question

Post by Guest »

I think i've figured out what im going to do, would like some opinions on what companies would be best for things though. I want to go with a cold air intake, and probably a high flow cat, and 2.25" exhaust back to a nice muffler. Was looking around at some exhausts and wanted to know what would give good performance/sound and not really cost too too much. The only reason money is a factor is because im going to be doing the struts/shocks/springs at the same time I do the intake and exhaust. Should be about a month or so before I have enough cash to do it all though.

Asylum

intake question

Post by Asylum »

www.tranzgenic.com
Best there is.

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
gtuturbo

intake question

Post by gtuturbo »

(doobs420 @ Jan. 07 2006,15:17)Q
U
O
T
EWas thinking about putting an intake in my 88 beretta base, but im not sure if I should just go cheap and get a hot air intake, or if I should shell out the extra cash and get a CAI. My car has a MAF, and didn't see any kind of sticker under the hood saying it got the software update or whatever it is it needs. Not quite sure what I would ask for if I were to go to a dealer to get the update done. Any information on this stuff would be appreciated as I couldn't find a whole lot about it when I searched the forums. I'm pretty sure im going to need to get the intake done before the car will pass inspection because the stock air box thats in there is rusted shut and I would say the filter in there is probably shot to hell.
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Tranzgenic doesn't sell a kit specifically for your engine.
You can use one, but you would need to change the PROM to the speed density program and get a MAT sensor for the intake. I'm sure the guys at tranzgenic could help guide you along.
You could also get a K&N drop in (# E-0930) after you get your filter housing apart or a replacement housing from the junkyard.
You are not going to gain any more from a hot air setup than you would from a drop in. Not with a stock engine.

But, the cold air setup (like Tranzgenic) is your best bet with the filter in fresh air and all the smooth tubing.

Hope this helps.

Paul Keller
1988 Chevrolet Beretta GTU (turbocharged) (bought new in August 1988)
1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2017 Kia Sorento V6 AWD
2017 GMC Acadia SLE-1

intake question

Post by Guest »

ok thanks for the info guys. Was wondering if it would be possible to attatch a cheap cone filter on the end of the stock intake stuff after I remove the air box. This would only be a temporary kind of thing, just so I could pass emissions when I get the car inspected.

Also, when I go to the dealership to get the PROM upgrade what exactly do I ask them for? Planning on getting that done probably the end of this week or so.

1988GTU

intake question

Post by 1988GTU »

If you are referring to putting a cone on the end of the MAF, yes a cheapie cone will fit.  You need to work it on a lil'.  Make sure you use the clamp on it.  

_________
-------------

intake question

Post by Guest »

ok, thanks. Looks like i'll have something to do this weekend  

gtuturbo

intake question

Post by gtuturbo »

(doobs420 @ Jan. 10 2006,06:46)Q
U
O
T
Eok thanks for the info guys. Was wondering if it would be possible to attatch a cheap cone filter on the end of the stock intake stuff after I remove the air box. This would only be a temporary kind of thing, just so I could pass emissions when I get the car inspected.

Also, when I go to the dealership to get the PROM upgrade what exactly do I ask them for? Planning on getting that done probably the end of this week or so.
The cheapest thing you could do is buy a $5 dollar air filter from your parts store and replace your old one.

Cone filters are going to be $20 or more.

I'm sure you can get that plastic wingnut off the housing with channel locks and rust buster of some type.
You have to take housing off anyway to put a cone filter on!

Paul Keller
1988 Chevrolet Beretta GTU (turbocharged) (bought new in August 1988)
1966 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT
2017 Kia Sorento V6 AWD
2017 GMC Acadia SLE-1

intake question

Post by Guest »

When I say the thing is rusted on there I mean its totally screwed. The plastic part turns but it doesn't do anything. It just spins and spins and spins. When I pull it off im guessing that im going to have to break it apart somehow.