suggestions for refinishing/painting gtz wheels

Have a favorite combination? Need new tires? What size wheels fit a Beretta? Ask here...
themadness

suggestions for refinishing/painting gtz wheels

Post by themadness »

i got me some gtz wheels as a birthday gift :Yahoo!:

they are in awesome shape except of course they need to be painted. i was hoping to get some suggestions for making them look good again. my ride is white/red interior and the wife thinks white wheels is the way to go. i was thinking of doing a color but i'm not sure yet.

any suggestions?

Asylum

Re: suggestions for refinishing/painting gtz wheels

Post by Asylum »

I am all for keeping things original looking.
So white would be my choice.
Just keep the shiny edge. Makes a BIG difference in the detail.
My .02

Eric

Asylum Motorsports
"Where we're not happy 'til YOU'RE not happy!

'91 California Quad (Gone with just a bit of "Seller's Remorse".)
'92 3500 GT gone and not really missed. It was fun. Documented 13.47 N/A.
themadness

Post by themadness »

any paint recommendations? i used the duplicolor wheel paint on my other wheels and they cracked in less than 2 months

Bman Gtz

Post by Bman Gtz »

I would say get them done professional, may as well do them right the first time

BMAN

themixer

Post by themixer »

I agree on the pro job

themadness

Post by themadness »

whats the average job cost..... so far i have 160 bucks and a couple of the other shop are either close or wont answer the phone

1990BerettaGTZ2.3L

Post by 1990BerettaGTZ2.3L »

I would do ppg base coat clear if I were you because that way you can gently scuff your machined lip with a light grey 3M scuff pad which is basically like 400-600 grit paper, and do your clot part with the red which is like 180-320 grit, now I hope you have a nice non corroded machined lip to start with because if you do it makes it easy to "scuff 'n' spray", get like a pint of dbc2000 basecoat, and some dc2000 clear it's new and super fast drying instead of the normal hour if baked or 6 hours air it cuts it down to like 3 hours to dry! Bit I recommend not getting exited and letting it sit over night, now on the color part get some fine 3m blue tape and mask your machined lip then scuff your color with the red scuff pad, then once that's done peel the tape off and scuff your lip if it's nice with the grey, then get a quart of dx330 wax and grease remover and wipe the whole thing down, then remask the lip to where you don't spray color on it, the get a gun mix you color with the 1:1 ratio it has with whatever temp reducer you need for the temp your spraying and shoot it, then peel the tape off in 30 minutes, then shoot the clear over the whole wheel if your lips nice

the bad:
if your lip needs refinished you gotta do extra work and sand it down to bare aluminum to where there's little to no corrosion, then get some polishing compand as well as a polishing wheel and a drill and polish the shi* out of it till she's good as new again then you can wax and grease remove all the contaminenrs left on the wheel such as the compound, then do the steps that I mentioned above and you got a nice polished lip again, make sure it's all even though cause you don't want a spot you can see through the clear coat such as a shinier than rest of lip finish if you have any more questions let me know I'm a bodyman and have done several wheels before

1990 Beretta GTZ Quad,226 cams, 3.94 W-41 trans
1990 Beretta GTZ Quad 4, 3.61 muncie 5 speed (project)
1968 Chevelle 300 deluxe 327ci 4 speed M-21, 12 bolt 4.10 posi
1978 Chevy K10 Z77 Sport 4x4
1977 GMC Sierra Classic 25 454 crew cab
-Ryan
themadness

Post by themadness »

thanks for the info....

the bad is that the lip needs attention. we looked at sandpaper, wire brushes, and a wire bit for the drill. what do you suggest to clean up the lip so there arent any risks of air leaks. there is some rust which is just surface and quite a bit of what appears to be just caked on gunk. it might be dirt, sealant, tar, or a combo of all three. i used air craft stripper to get the paint off with the exception of a couple small spots that will need sandpaper. the inside of the wheel is another story. the stripper(brush on) doesnt seem to be in the mood to get rid of it. its nice and warm with sunny skies so temp isnt an issue. no water on the surface of the wheel either. it just doesnt seem to lift.

so what do i need(tool wise) to do to make this job a little easier all the way around. so far so good on the prep but there is lots to be done....

1990BerettaGTZ2.3L

Post by 1990BerettaGTZ2.3L »

I know that they make a sandpaper wheel for a drill try to get a 800-1000 grit wheel to get it knocked down to smooth and then get a nice polishing wheel for a drill then use the compound with that then clean it and scuff it with the pad to make the clear stick

1990 Beretta GTZ Quad,226 cams, 3.94 W-41 trans
1990 Beretta GTZ Quad 4, 3.61 muncie 5 speed (project)
1968 Chevelle 300 deluxe 327ci 4 speed M-21, 12 bolt 4.10 posi
1978 Chevy K10 Z77 Sport 4x4
1977 GMC Sierra Classic 25 454 crew cab
-Ryan