Performance 2.2 Goodies!

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
Amateur

Performance 2.2 Goodies!

Post by Amateur »

Oooh, some go faster goodies for the 2.2. I'm saving up for a new motor, could just upgrade it before it goes in....could is the key word.

stroker kit will be available october to increase the cubic inches to 144, over boring to 90.5 and stroking it to 91.2 effectively turning it into a 2.3L motor

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/i ... alier.html

I could just give it super lightweight piston, pins and rods to decrease weight to make some quicker revving...and increase compression

Along with ported cylinder heads capable of supporting up to 7500 rpm to aid the higher compression

An ECU tune would be in order....

Or Just stick a turbo in it!
http://www.turbosystem.com/auto/Cavalier/ln2ohv.htm

Now to do some thinking how to approach this and how much exactly I'm willing to spend on this project......(or I COULD just get a quad lol)

michi

Re: Performance 2.2 Goodies!

Post by michi »

Id build the engine and go with boost ;)

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I like the idea of a stroker, just not a bigger bore. Longer stroke and a stock bore would rev faster. Low end power is what you should be shooting for. How much time do you spend in the top end anyway?

keep'em flying!
Styluss
Global Moderator

Post by Styluss »

michi wrote:Id build the engine and go with boost ;)
Concur! No one ever rocks the 2.2 engine. Hell even the 2.8 and 3.1s are seen less and less these days.

1989 GTU - The Nice Car
1989 GTU Mock - The Neglected Car
1989 Base Model - The Rally Car
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

3400 swap...

:sparta:

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

Go for and be differwnt from everyone else no one will suspect it

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

So far I have 1k saved up for operation "impromptu Beretta heart transplant." A v6 would be so sweet; gobs of torque, nice growl, smooth revving...*droool*....BUT it won't work in this case because that's not what this car is.

This car is a tuning exercise for me in that less is more and that numbers aren't everything. It's about the feel of it and this is why I can't have the V6:

-V6 is heavier, adds slightly more weight up front and subsequently alters the weight distribution of the chassis.
-Too much torque. Torque is awesome but I don't want to ruin the driving dynamics with wheel slip. The 2.2 puts all the power to the ground with minimal loss to traction because there isn't alot of torque
-Since there is less torque, pedal modulation is better when trying to balance throttle in cornering against grip

The 5spd has a close ratio, so it revs up nicely and makes good use of the powerband and with the Quaife LSD i have planned, it's going to be great with mitigating the torque steer and more efficiently applying the power to the ground.

I want to keep the 2.2 but "enhance" it to a bump around the 150hp/tq range. That would be ideal for this application.
So either I run 5 lbs of boost (which really won't require me to build anything up inside) Or I take care of some block work with lighter internals and and so on.

All the great drivers cars didn't make alot of power like the original VW golfs, early gen miatas, and Ae86's to name a few. Literally, my beretta as is, is already making more power than these cars.

on that note, I would love to buy myself a second beretta in the future, solely as a v6 weekend drag car.
It'll be perfect. One for handling and drive feel. The other for brute straight line power. :D
Last edited by Amateur on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

How much time do you spend in the top end anyway?
Surprising quite alot, when I race it, it hovers in second gear between 4000-6300 rpm, pending on the course. Even merging on highway speed, I'm pushing it in the mid 5000s. It's a slow car that's fun to drive fast. The motor asphyxiates itself up there, hence why I want to improve on that.

Koots

Post by Koots »

I think a stroker with H-beam rods, stronger pistons, high quality rings, headwork, cam, 1.6 rockers, +1mm valves, ARP head and rod studs and a cometic headgasket would make for a damn fine OHV 4cyl capable of making 150WHP and hold 12psi without blowing apart, but could use lower compression for higher. Then you can push more towards 300whp before you have to worry.

Even a quality stock rebuild with ARP studs and strong headgasket should hold 8-10psi boost with fair engine life. I'd expect a realistic 180whp with that setup.

My experience with these engines have shown me that they are built with crappy parts and are cheap. But they just don't die as easily as some other engines. I had a 2.0L (pre-91) that sounded like a diesel lawn mower at idle, burned 2L of oil/100km but it would not die. It was originally my Mom's car, then they got sick of it and gave it to me (let me put my poor Caprice to rest) and told me to drive it into the ground....which I just could not do LOL

SO that's why I'm interested in blueprinting as much of the engine as I can (while maintaining it's low-cost appeal) and running it slightly detuned to get a long life, simple engine with decent performance.
Last edited by Koots on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Money pit Beretta

Boy I was way off, sounds like you need more top end for sure.
I agree with you on keeping the 2.2L.
Here is a little something to think about.
http://www.jbodyperformance.com/new/Par ... ame=JP0567

keep'em flying!
berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

if he gains some low end torque (turbo, depending what size you go with will determine your lag... factor that in), then you don't need to spend much time that high...

that's why the v6 are nice (with a 5spd=much better)... like any other car, learn to harness the power! lol

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
Amateur

Post by Amateur »

I think a stroker with H-beam rods, stronger pistons, high quality rings, headwork, cam, 1.6 rockers, +1mm valves, ARP head and rod studs and a cometic headgasket would make for a damn fine OHV 4cyl capable of making 150WHP and hold 12psi without blowing apart, but could use lower compression for higher. Then you can push more towards 300whp before you have to worry.
Yeah, I'm going to email them to see what that stroker kit would run me. "hey guys I got a 2.3 in my 'retta" "Oh so you've got a quad, It's about damn time you saw the light!"...."err yes....(say nothing to correct them)." Not going to lie, I'm leaning more towards the n/a route so I can run 10:1 compression superlight pistons/rods/pins that would shred apart under boost.
Boy I was way off, sounds like you need more top end for sure.
I agree with you on keeping the 2.2L.
Here is a little something to think about.
http://www.jbodyperformance.com/new/Par ... ame=JP0567
ahh, I Love this site. Some of there stuff is crazy pricing though.I do want to bore out the throttle body once I get higher compression going on in the block, otherwise It's not going to be a significant gain stock.
... like any other car, learn to harness the power! lol
You sir are wise beyond your years!

Money pit Beretta

Yeah JBP has some wacky prices. Nice stuff, but man that is asking too much on some things. They are nice people though.

keep'em flying!
LX9Power

Post by LX9Power »

You should do a stroker Quad instead. besides the pistons everything is of the shelf. And with a 2.6 stroker N/A you would have more then 220HP...

Koots

Post by Koots »

LX9Power wrote:You should do a stroker Quad instead. besides the pistons everything is of the shelf. And with a 2.6 stroker N/A you would have more then 220HP...
Finding one in my area, that hasn't been mistreated by the local dealership, is damn near impossible. I tried all my avenues and could only find donor cars for $1500-$2000 just to get the engine out of it.

I just want to rework this old engine and see what I can do with it, personally. I don't want to get the most HP/dollar of investment, Else I would just concentrate on my 6.0L LQ4 in my 2500HD. That could get past the 400HP with a nice tune and a set of headers. Throw in a good cam and competent valvetrain and then I've got 500WHP potential. Go with twin turbo's (I have 2 sitting around) and I could get up to 800whp and still be streetable. I could go for much more but then I would need to work on some other stuff LOL