Performance 2.2 Goodies!

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
Amateur

Re: Performance 2.2 Goodies!

Post by Amateur »

So I think for the head, I'm eyeing me some Crane self adjusting 1:6 rockers like so:

I noticed though that some cavalier guys upgraded but had a valve cover shim made for clearance? It'll be in my best interest to look into this:

Koots

Post by Koots »

I read that the 98+ engines are the only ones that need extra modification to fit 1.6 RR's.

Our 94-97 engines just need some extra clearance cut from the internal oil baffle on the valve cover, if any is needed to be cut at all.

If I come across this issue, I'm gonna cut the top off of my spare VC and weld it to my existing VC. That should be enough to act like a spacer.

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

I guess the only way to know for sure is to do it :D

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Tell me how long they last, (I've read 30k) but I want to hear about it.

keep'em flying!
Koots

Post by Koots »

Amateur wrote:I guess the only way to know for sure is to do it :D
Damn straight! I learned a long time ago not to spend money until I needed too...but I always like to have back-up plans in case something goes wrong.
Money pit Beretta wrote:Tell me how long they last, (I've read 30k) but I want to hear about it.
I've read a lot on the rockers and they can last longer, but they don't fare well against flat tappet cams, solid lifters, bigger cams and heavy valve springs. The valvetrain rigidity can gradually deform the aluminum, but our stock springs are soft so it's not really an issue. On mostly stock engines, I've read of them lasting 50k or more, but this is internet "research" and might be lies.

I did eventually opt for stainless steel roller rockers because of the worry of aluminum, but most say that it's not even an issue.

Money pit Beretta

Well 50k is not so bad. I'm just the kind that likes to do something once and move on to other things.

keep'em flying!
Koots

Post by Koots »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Well 50k is not so bad. I'm just the kind that likes to do something once and move on to other things.
I used to think like that, but then I realized I enjoy tinkering and fine tuning. Not so much with some parts though, like brakes...my 2500HD has 4-wheel discs and the rear brakes require near perfect assembly and lots of synthetic brake lube to make sure they work properly.

Money pit Beretta

I understand, guess I burned out when messing with old Holley carbs. Rebuilt a few of them and it sure seems like some were just doomed. Even bought a book on them to make sure I was doing it right.
I don't know, could be I'm tired of screwing with cars that just have to stay on the road until the rust kills them off. Nah it's really the GF's Cavy that is turned me off.

keep'em flying!
Koots

Post by Koots »

Money pit Beretta wrote:I understand, guess I burned out when messing with old Holley carbs. Rebuilt a few of them and it sure seems like some were just doomed. Even bought a book on them to make sure I was doing it right.
I don't know, could be I'm tired of screwing with cars that just have to stay on the road until the rust kills them off. Nah it's really the GF's Cavy that is turned me off.
It's all in the parts you pick. There are limited options for our cars, unfortunately, but my 2 trucks have a myriad of options for most parts that range from off-the-shelf lifetime warranty parts to race quality rebuildable parts. Makes for a lot of work, but hopefully I don't have to buy as many parts over again.

Plus it doesn't hurt that it calms my hyperactive brain (ADHD) giving it something to focus on.

Money pit Beretta

Points well taken.
Guys just don't forget new valve guides. If you don't you end up burning a good amount of oil.

keep'em flying!
Amateur

Post by Amateur »

Woohoo, The stroker kit starts at $1699! It states that for torque figures, you're looking at a 30% bump over stock which pegs it at 169 lb ft if my math is correct. not to shabby for a now 2.3L ln2...that's quad territory, albeit this will get blown away top end because DOHC.
I'm seriously contemplating this seeing how i have an extra block lying around the garage that i can cram this into. That and the LN2's are indestructable so win/win.
These guys do ECU tunings too, so i can just pass it to them to set the tune for their own kit (crummy obd 1.5 I have been cursed with, I want to go back in time and stop the man at GM who thought this was a good idea and while i'm there, pick up some brand new dew strips from a chevy dealer).

peanut gallery--->wait, why waste this kind of money on a base 2.2 of all things? Because I Like my base, have lots of memories with it, its been great to me and I'm trying to make the best 2.2 i can. This would be a step in the right direction.

berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

reliability and gas mileage. can't blame you

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
Koots

Post by Koots »

I love the sound of that stroker kit, I think it would go nice with the LN2 I am also building :D

Keeping the rod/stroke ratio low will make it rev better, but auto-x would love the TQ from the extra stroke better.

BTW, I should also have my 1.6 RR's installed soon (have to wait for the right studs to come in) and can give you an idea of how it turned out for me. I might install my old stamped rockers back in, just for a few weeks so I can get an overall opinion on each individual mod.

Amateur

Post by Amateur »

BTW, I should also have my 1.6 RR's installed soon (have to wait for the right studs to come in) and can give you an idea of how it turned out for me. I might install my old stamped rockers back in, just for a few weeks so I can get an overall opinion on each individual mod.
Yes, definitely keep me posted on this! Remember, you're doing it for SCIENCE!!!

Koots

Post by Koots »

I should have a test of my mild port and polish job, plus a 4-1 header, 2.25" into a 2.0" factory V6 exhaust.

That way I can work out any of the kinks with that part of the upgrades and then it's just the rockers to figure out and test.

Don't worry about the horror stories all over the net of having to constantly adjust the rockers. My stock 97 Honda required regular adjustments and I would almost do them monthly. It was hard to get them perfect, but the only time they would tick was when it was cold.

The RR's for our engines (they fit the 2.8/3.1's too) should be even easier, because they come with polylock nuts. So all you need to adjust is to tighten or loosen until you can spin the pushrod with very little resistance. On my Honda, I had to buy a special tool (cheap) that had a 10mm wrench and a flat blade screwdriver in one, to loosen the lock nut and turn the adjuster at the same time....while running a feeler gauge between the rocker tip and valve tip checking for the proper resistance.