Intermediate Pipe Questions

Post information about exhaust systems. Either purchased or custom made
Koots

Intermediate Pipe Questions

Post by Koots »

In between all of my parts cars, I don't have a proper exhaust between them, so I was thinking of running one of Walkers cheap intermediate pipes, which replaces just behind the converter and all the way back to the muffler.

What I really need is the piece that runs up over the rear suspension "beam", for lack of a better word. I was just thinking about going with another Jones max flow SS muffler for my Corsica too, so I don't need the replacement muffler either.

My question is if there is any difference between the years that would cause fitment issues? I'm just gonna be cutting it up, so I only need to know if all exhausts should fit over that hump.

Koots

Re: Intermediate Pipe Questions

Post by Koots »

I was looking at a piece from an 89, which works for 2.0/2.8 which is Walker #46693

(link is for representation only)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walker-Intermed ... 68&vxp=mtr

And a 95 2.2L period correct piece is significantly more expensive for reasons I cannot see, but is #55051

(link is for representation only)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WALKER-EXHAUST- ... de&vxp=mtr

The V6 version is exactly the same size but has a resonator and flange at the very beginning and only escalates my price.

I just don't know why it would cost so much more for a 95 piece...other than a different way of mounting to the body, but that can be fixed with a welder and some angry bending and hammering.
Last edited by Koots on Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

From what I remember, the exhausts are slightly different as the gas tank changed sizes at some point across the years. I don't remember details though, so I'm not that helpful this time around.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Koots

Post by Koots »

I can believe that based on the curve I can see in the diagrams. It's more subtle of a bend in the newer models.

Maybe I should just lift the car like I wanted too LOL Lots of extra room for whatever pipe I decide to fit there LOL THere is just no lift for the front, which discourages me a little.

berettaboi

Post by berettaboi »

i bought a dual muffler catback for a 95 monte carlo for cheap to play with... the mufflers are much to big to be used on a beretta (especially if it will be lowered), but the pipe and Y could be useful... (but then again if i want to blow this thing up experimenting with a remote mount turbo next year maybe! dual exhaust won't work so well...)

4th one's a charm, 5th one is, beginnning to sound like this is an addiction...
95 black z26, '96 White z26 awaiting new life, and 2.5 mazda trucks
Koots

Post by Koots »

I finally decided to order the Walker #55051 intermediate pipe, which is a 2", from the local NAPA (so shipping doesn't kill me).

I then ordered a Jones max flow SS muffler to finish it off. It shouldn't be horribly loud, as I used one of these on my 6.0L Silverado and it's actually very mellow and deep. I've got some resonance, but I've got the 3" dal exhaust dumped before my rear axle and just past the cab. So it's not exactly setup like it should be.

The version I bought is a DI/DO 3" muffler with an internal X-Pipe. I did this because the truck has had the tailpipe cut off of it for a few years now and that makes the truck a true dual 3"s which is ridiculous. The X-pipe muffler setup is far from ideal, but it balanced out the exhaust well enough to give me incredible throttle response from any RPM now.

I would recommend these mufflers, but first I have to hear it on a 4cyl. A 6.0L V8 can make any muffler sound good, so if it sounds good with the old 2.2 OHV, then it should sound great for most of you V6 guys.

Travelor
Global Moderator

Post by Travelor »

It all depends on the gas tanks. Just order the $30 pipe for the year car you need and its fine. Unless you changed the tank to the 91 (92?) tank with the smaller shelf.

Which is what I want to do but have no need to buy a new tank right now.

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ
Beretta Preservation Society Chairman

"Have you painted your car in a parking lot today?"
wi_corsica

Post by wi_corsica »

I think the gas tanks are 87-89, 90-93, 94-96.

88 Corsica Z51 // 90 Corsica Hatchback // 90 Beretta // 91 Corsica
Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

I really need to look that up. I had a 90 and I know that up to 92 have the ABS tank. You may be right on the 93 having an ABS tank too. All others are metal.

The ABS years had a different routing of the exhaust and are not interchangeable with ones made for the metal tank.

keep'em flying!
Koots

Post by Koots »

The #55051 pipe i ordered is the correct part number for my exact car. It costs $139 from Napa, but I just need an exhaust for this car and am getting sick of dealing with custom making everything fit. This way I just have to make it adapt to my header, cat and flex coupler. So fitment shouldn't be an issue.

Currently I've got the underside prepped for a few coats of truck bedliner to make sure the underside is well protected. I've just gotta drop the tank, clean it up, get all the areas around it.

Travelor
Global Moderator

Post by Travelor »

Holy crap, $140? I bought one for my car a couple years ago for $40. I'm not even sure what it costs on rockauto as I'm on my phone

1988 GTU
1990 GTZ
Beretta Preservation Society Chairman

"Have you painted your car in a parking lot today?"
Koots

Post by Koots »

Travelor wrote:Holy crap, $140? I bought one for my car a couple years ago for $40. I'm not even sure what it costs on rockauto as I'm on my phone
I live in Labrador, Canada. Which is right around the arctic circle....sooooo, we're pretty much in completely different parts of the world LOL

I don't think that specific part number I purchased (walker #55051), would be much cheaper in your area though. eBay didn't seem that cheap either.

Another point, there are no more exhaust shops in my small secluded town, but the one that used to be open charged me $250 for a simple exhaust on my Civic and I brought my own muffler.