Brake System Flush

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
smitty286

Brake System Flush

Post by smitty286 »

Just going over my '94 to make sure she's ready for inspection, and I've realized that my brake fluid is nearly black - I'm planning on power-bleeding the whole system in the spring, but with that much crap in the lines, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience using some kind of a solvent to "flush out" the lines instead of just replacing the old fluid with new in one operation?  I'm worried that a lot of this stuff will adhere to the inside of the lines and quickly recontaminate the new fluid.

My first thought is to disconnect each line at the ABS valve body and flush it with ordinary parts washer solvent (not worried about the rubber parts downstream, they're all being replaced as well), but I'm curious if anyone else has any suggestions, or if this would be overkill in anyone's experience.

Also, does anyone know of a non-ABS master cylinder that will (more or less) bolt into this application?  I noticed a loss in pedal feel when I disconnected the ABS solenoids a year or so ago (something was causing the system to release my brakes randomly while waiting at red lights...not a fan of ABS anyway, so I just disconnected it to fault out the system) and I'd like to take this opportunity to tighten things back up.  It's not so bad that I'd call it a safety concern, but it really does detract from the precise, "controlled" feel of the car.

Any advice is appreciated!

wicked-irocz

Brake System Flush

Post by wicked-irocz »

just replacing the fluid is adequate.  Remember after you fill it up with parts cleaner you would have to flush that out.     As far as MC's go,  not all beretta's have abs.  Maybe a MC from an older beretta would work.

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
Cliff8928
Administrator

Brake System Flush

Post by Cliff8928 »

Aside from the orientation of the lines on the older MC being different, there are 4 unique fittings (2 sizes, 2 thread pitches) on the older berettas, whereas the newer ones have only two different fittings (1 size, 2 thread pitches)

Cliff Scott
smitty286

Brake System Flush

Post by smitty286 »

Thanks for the advice, guys...and yeah, I figured any non-original master cylinder would require some adapting, etc.  The MC from a '94 Grand Prix appears to be made from the same casting and should bolt right up - my only concern is that the GP is 4-wheel disc and about 500lbs heavier than the Beretta, so I may have to swap the proportioning valves - need to look into it a bit further.

wicked-irocz

Brake System Flush

Post by wicked-irocz »

someone on here used one out of a 2000 and up non abs impala and said it made for a stiffer pedal but I cant remember anything else

94 Beretta Z26 57,4xx miles
3100, auto, crank windows, power locks/trunk, A/C,
To many mods to list
-intercooler :shock:

Among beretta boards
1st Turbo 4t60-e
1st Turbo 3100
1st Turbo Z26
1st 94+ Turbo
Jeff P

Brake System Flush

Post by Jeff P »

Whatever you end up doing, post it here so we know about it too

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
smitty286

Brake System Flush

Post by smitty286 »

Will do - gonna be a couple months though, looks like winter's finally here in the northeast