I bought

Keep this to general Beretta/Board/Community topics.
jene

I bought

Post by jene »

so one of my computer monitors was going out.. they are both 17 inch and that was this biggest size monitor i have ever had... they were the old white old school brick kind.. yuk!!

so since this year i have came into the new century with getting a bank account, getting cable,getting an ipod.. i figured i should add in a new monitor...

definatly a cheap one.. a westinghouse, 22 inch, flat screen..... but it is good enough for me... the pics are so crisp and bright... my car as a background on the monitor is just awesome!! hehehe

i am excited... so i need to go buy another to replace my other old school white monitor...

DTMAce

I bought

Post by DTMAce »

Sounds good.  Westinghouse usually makes some nice LCD screens.   I run a computer shop myself, so know a few things...  

94' Z26 Project - 95' Base Project - Custom LED Light Conversions!
Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

jene

I bought

Post by jene »

so then i made a ok choice??  i was worried since i dont know much about these newer monitors and their system was down so i didnt get to check out the picture at the store.. i was just hoping for the best when i bought it.. hahaha

i only paid 200 bucks for this 22 inch...

DTMAce

I bought

Post by DTMAce »

Yeah, you did fine.  Not a bad price either really.

Chosen Proposal Submission & Committee Member for Beretta Fest 2012 in Traverse City Michigan

3X00-Modified
Administrator

I bought

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I'm still not sure why people go with widescreens for computers....  There really aren't many things geared toward 16:9 ratio on a computer yet unless you watch a lot of DVD's and HDTV on it or something.

I think a 19 regular LCD is the same height as a 22 wide too... thats why I don't like wide ratios, you buy a 19 and then your like wow its as short as a 15 or 17 monitor...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Mr. Beefy

I bought

Post by Mr. Beefy »

(3X00-Modified @ Oct. 17 2008,07:46)QUOTEI'm still not sure why people go with widescreens for computers....  There really aren't many things geared toward 16:9 ratio on a computer yet unless you watch a lot of DVD's and HDTV on it or something.

I think a 19 regular LCD is the same height as a 22 wide too... thats why I don't like wide ratios, you buy a 19 and then your like wow its as short as a 15 or 17 monitor...
I agree. I have an AOC 19" widescreen right now and I dont like the way a widescreen looks. I'm about to switch back to my standard 19" monitor today.

EDIT: I just switched it and MUCH MUCH better!!

John

'01 Duratec Sable Wagon
jene

I bought

Post by jene »

wha-wha....

yes i watch movie on my pc... it is in the same room as my bed and we watch lilo and stitch and lots of other kids movies with the kids in here...

I like it very much....

DTMAce

I bought

Post by DTMAce »

Well, just to point out:  Picture displaying on a wide screen is difficult, unless you resize it.

Biggest thing that makes an LCD look good, is to set your computer to the monitor's native resolution.

This means that lets say a normal 19" LCD is 1280 pixels wide by 1024 pixels tall.  If you set the display to match that, you get the best possible picture quality.  Any other setting is going to look a bit blurry or even crappy.

For a wide screen, its the same.  With a 22" for example the native res might be 1800 pixels wide, by 1024 pixels tall.  If you set your computer to match, everything on your desktop won't look stretched, however any pictures you use as a background and stretch to fit may not look right, unless you have a camera like mine that shoots wide screen shots. (16:9)

The older style CRT monitors do not have this issue.  They adapt very easily to different resolutions, maintaining a fairly nice picture throughout the settings and can run settings the LCDs can't.

Just to give you guys an example, I have a 21" CRT, set to its maximum of 1800x1440(4:3). Not too many LCDs go that high.  lol

Oh if any of you ever wondered what all this 16:9 or 4:3 stuff means, just pick up a set of child's square blocks.  Stack them using those number.  16 blocks across and 9 blocks high, or 4 blocks across and 3 blocks high.  That is how they measure the aspect of a picture.  Just an FYI.
Hope it helps.

jene

I bought

Post by jene »

man... there is a lot...**wink wink*** of things that look better on this monitor.. hahaha

DTMAce

I bought

Post by DTMAce »

I'm sure...  LOL

jene

I bought

Post by jene »

hot chick pics!

3X00-Modified
Administrator

I bought

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I know everything there is to know about native resolutions, I was simply stating that computer games are not setup for widescreen formats so most will display in a 4:3 ratio stretching it because its just not supported...

As far as what I was saying before I was simply referring to physical size of  the monitor, 19 wides are shorter than a 19 regular, therefore making your desktop display (at native) shorter BUT wider....

However if your using the PC as a multimedia video pc and watch a lot of widescreen movies on it, then Ok a widescreen will be better.  Gaming, internet browsing and pictures they are worthless.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
1988GTU

I bought

Post by 1988GTU »

Nice!  I need to start looking for another LCD monitor.  I am currently using a very old bulky monitor that does the job, but takes up way too much space.  I think I am going to try a used unit since all the new lcd's I've had failed kinda short.  $30>$140  

_________
-------------
jene

I bought

Post by jene »

(3X00-Modified @ Oct. 17 2008,12:24)QUOTEI know everything there is to know about native resolutions, I was simply stating that computer games are not setup for widescreen formats so most will display in a 4:3 ratio stretching it because its just not supported...

As far as what I was saying before I was simply referring to physical size of  the monitor, 19 wides are shorter than a 19 regular, therefore making your desktop display (at native) shorter BUT wider....

However if your using the PC as a multimedia video pc and watch a lot of widescreen movies on it, then Ok a widescreen will be better.  Gaming, internet browsing and pictures they are worthless.
yeah no gaming oh here... im not into that kinda stuff...

although scott wants to start world of war craft.. but i told him to buy his own damn computer for that.. hahahah he is a nerd.. hehehe... jk

DUNCAN05

I bought

Post by DUNCAN05 »

(jene @ Oct. 17 2008,10:06)QUOTEhot chick pics!
You suck

Winner of the Endless Ride Award Berettafest 2007 (3,630mi RT)
Bring Berettafest back West!
If you have a nice set of dew strips please PM me.