Shift Cables

Have a flashing light? Gauges acting funny? Bad idle? Get your problems solved...
Geoff

Shift Cables

Post by Geoff »

Ok so I found out that it is NOT my transmission or anything to do with the drivetrain why my shift cables keep breaking. It seems even though the cables have been properly installed by mechanics and myself now, they keep binding due to heat by the exhaust/ heat shield.

Now...I just took out my 7th cable, it still went through, but at a very rough pace, it was partially shrink wrapped.

My question is, has anyone had that problem? How did they fix it? What could I use to insulate these cables from further heat damage?

I'm going to try ONE more cable from napa and if it shrinks again, I'm selling it and letting someone else deal with it, plus I cant afford a 167 dollar Factory cable right now, its just not an aption and no junkyards have any used ones.

I tried converting my cables/ shift control section to a 93 beretta GT but the bolts that the cables slip onto at the transmission( I wasnt able to get) so that didnt work.

so any help would be appreciated.

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Shift Cables

Post by heavywoody »

Try some header wrap around the area that is affected, and use some header wrap in the same area on the exhaust that is touching/affecting the shift cables.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Geoff

Shift Cables

Post by Geoff »

where can you find header wrap? do autozone/advance sell it? I've never seen it, I asked a guy at napa what I could wrap my cable in, he gave me fuel line hose, it didnt work.

can I use header wrap on the cable also or just the headers?

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Shift Cables

Post by heavywoody »

You should be able to use it on both, I don't see why not. Affixing it to the cable might be tricky, but I'm sure you could figure something out.

I know you can order it through Summit/Jegs... or you could drive down to Lane Automotive... I think it's off 94 towards St. Joe. They might have it.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
1988GTU

Shift Cables

Post by 1988GTU »

If your exhaust is getting that hot, I'd make sure your CAT isn't plugging up causing the extra build of heat.  Just my theory.

_________
-------------
Geoff

Shift Cables

Post by Geoff »

Alright, I found some at www.heatshieldproducts.com - and ordered itoff a dealers website.

It's not that cat because I installed a magnaflow high flow cat less than 6 weeks ago....unless a high flow cat causes more heat?

rweatherford

Shift Cables

Post by rweatherford »

I had a turbo on mine and no heat shields and didn't have any problems with cables.  I'd say something is wrong.  Cheap cables probably.

Rex Weatherford
92 Beretta GTZ Quad4 Turbo / 5-speed (sold)
Best 1/4 ET =  13.523 @ 105.16 mph

07 Mazda 5 Black on Black (it's slow)

Geoff

Shift Cables

Post by Geoff »

I just dont know what else to do. This is my last shot on the cables, everyone who Ive gone to for the cbales is getting pissed off at me for trying to return all of them.

they seem to keep getting right close up and personal with the left side of the heat shield (if you laying under the car looking at the downpipe)

what can I do to keep this from happening? use metal ties and tie it to that pipe running right in front of where the cables are threaded to the tranny plate?

ettore

Shift Cables

Post by ettore »

They're obviously melting somwhere along the cable, just make a metal plate that "shields" the cable from the heat source.  All you have to do is make sure the sheild neither touches the cable or the source of the head.  Think of it kindof like holding up your hand to block out the heat from a campfire.

Orange Mica Z26 205,000k Click to See