January 2010 Project Begins (Raspberry)

Tell us about your Beretta and Post an Image
Money pit Beretta

Re: January 2010 Project Begins (Raspberry)

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Scared? I have no idea how I'm going to get this thing out with the intakes on.
3X00 what's the part number to that chain? I have 150K on this thing right now.
Isaac what made you check the chain, bad timing?
What are you running 1988GTU?

keep'em flying!
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

It goes to 5800 rpm before the rev limiter stops it, and it sees that at least 4 times for every time I drive some where. 1st is held a lot, and 1st kick downs occur a lot. ;)

http://isaachayes.60degreev6.com/videos/timingchain.wmv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I replaced it because I was replacing the timing cover gasket that was leaking coolant out the side, and saw how loose it was (which I already knew from turning the engine over by hand).

Johnny told me to replace the o-ring on the distributor drive shaft on my built motor as it didn't get the good brown dealership teflon o-ring, so I will be doing that without taking off the LIM....

Image Image 2010 project (click pic)
1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles.
16.0 @ 84.41mph when stock. Now ???
Original L82 w/LA1, LX9, & LX5 parts!!!

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
Money pit Beretta

How are you going to do that?
EDIT: I went outside and looked. Would it be a good idea for me to change the dive?

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Don't change the whole thing, just pull it out and swap out the o-ring. It slides right past the LIM and wont hit it. I'm telling you, its possible.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Just the ring it is then. Thanks to both of you for setting me straight on this. I've got to get off my ass and look before I start posting(the picture in my mind was off). TCE TB and upper ported for the TB will be on the way soon. I'll replace the O-ring then. Is it best to get it from the dealer?
Post the part number for that chain someday. I'll need it later down the road. I don't get on my car very much.
What are you going to do next 3X00?
Oh and thanks for helping John266. I wasn't much help, but did stay in contact with him.

keep'em flying!
1988GTU

Post by 1988GTU »

You will want to buy the BROWN o-ring. The local parts stores should have both, a black one and a brown on available for purchase. You WANT the brown one. You can buy it at the dealer, but I think it is cheaper at the parts store and less hassles.
ACDELCO Part # 10477565
HTH

_________
-------------
Money pit Beretta

Cool thanks.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

GM P/N's of all the timing components for a 94-99 3x00 motor.

Cam Sprocket 10166350
Crank Sprocket 14074400
Chain 10166352
Dampener 10166353

I'm just getting everything cleaned up... Waiting for bearings to come in, then I'm pulling all the pistons cleaning the block and then re-assy... new main bearings, new rod bearings, new cam bearings, porting the heads more, getting those cleaned and checked, and then MSL headgaskets, and hopefully it will all go back together quickly... Also porting the lower intake so its nice and smooth.

Pic of the part you will be pulling out... this just has a bronze pump gear on it. Note the brown o-ring though, that's what your changing.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Thanks for the pic. I don't know why I thought it was just a cap. My Chilton's shows that it's one piece. I'm just not remembering things well these days.
Also thanks for the part numbers.
That is alot of work to do. How close to the valve are you going to port? Hope not too close, you still need good mixing to aid the quench.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I've been talking to Superdave on 60* he's well versed in porting these heads so hopefully he'll keep me in check. He basically said take casting marks out, and just make it a uniform finish, DO NOT modify the lower radius in any way other than texture, he also said to just use a carbide bit for the texture and leave it, NOT to go smooth otherwise the fuel will not stay suspended... But anything before the injector he said get it nice and smooth, and same with the exhaust port.. But noted not to open it up because its a waste of time, his didn't show anymore flow on the bench.

So I got my info :)

But yeah I'm doing a bit more than I originally planned, but I figured since I had it this far, I might as well just do Clevite bearings all over so I just don't have to worry anymore. I noticed that the Sealed Power ones I used on my stock 3400 did the same thing as these with the aftermarket cam, so I really can't point the finger at the heavy springs or big cam... I think its the bearings just SUCK. So either way Clevite all around and I'll feel better :)
Last edited by 3X00-Modified on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling FOO

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Just go to the dealership. Every time I've gone in I tell them what I need (3400 oil pump distributor drive oring gasket/etc blah blah) and they say Ah yeah I know what you are talking about and ask if I want the gasket for the top too. I say yes as it's extra leak insurance. But yes make sure the o-ring is brown they give you. It's less than $3 for BOTH the o-ring and gasket.

That porting info is dead on from all the other sources I've heard. Yeah don't touch the floors, that will be the opposite direction of how you want the mixture to flow.
There is a wiki out there showing porting 3400 heads, but keep in mind 3500 heads are different and don't need much work at all if any. The UIM/LIM could be ported though, to the large upper metal gaskets then tapered down..

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
Money pit Beretta

Is Superdave the one that does all the port work for WOT-Tech? I don't know much about porting, but I know what to stay away from(read some of the do's and don'ts in a book). Good choice on the bearings. I have seen tests on them and they are one of the best. The price is not to bad for what you get. Are they the old Clevite 77's?
So a porting of the exhaust port will do nothing? Strange it always worked well on the SBC.

I'll check the dealer to see if they have the O-ring. Most of the time they don't carry much for my year.

keep'em flying!
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Is Superdave the one that does all the port work for WOT-Tech? I don't know much about porting, but I know what to stay away from(read some of the do's and don'ts in a book). Good choice on the bearings. I have seen tests on them and they are one of the best. The price is not to bad for what you get. Are they the old Clevite 77's?
So a porting of the exhaust port will do nothing? Strange it always worked well on the SBC.

I'll check the dealer to see if they have the O-ring. Most of the time they don't carry much for my year.
Dave is a guy on 60* that does his own porting, Ben does the stuff for WOT-Tech.

And yes the lower end are all Clevite 77's the cam ones are their AL-3 heavy duty setup.

And as far as the exhaust goes, I think the limitation is our valve size.... you wont gain any more flow through the port because that capacity exceeds what the valve inlet can flow... so really just make it nice and SMOOTH and then it will fly out and you'll get better velocity.

That o-ring fits 94 3100's up to 2005 3400's and the 3500's so they should have it... and hell it may still be used on the other 3.5's and 3.9's I'm not sure.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
IsaacHayes

Post by IsaacHayes »

Are the 3500 head exhaust ports larger than 3400 ones? I know the manifolds are a lot bigger, but can't recall if the ports on the heads are bigger too or not.

That o-ring probably fits even the old MPFI motors.. LOL But yeah they asked what vehicle year and I said, "any thing with a 3400, LX9, 3100, how about look up 2004 grand am gt" and then a second later he said oh yeah I know what you want and got the stuff without getting on the computer. Yeah I'm not sure if the LZ9/etc motors use it or not either.. probably hell they still use the same valve covers LOL

soon to be OBD1 tuned...
Money pit Beretta

Yeah I was thinking about telling them to look for a 3400 one. I'll ask for a 2004 Grand AM GT like you said Isaac.
Wish I knew Dave. Good to hear that they make the old 77's still. I've never heard of the AL-3's, but I've been out of touch on this kind of thing for some time. Do they look as good as the 77's?
Could some valves with a different shape help the flow? I'm with you on the smoothing, that's why I did it to my stock TB's. I also did a little bit to the very front part of 3400 UIM(just up to the EGR port).

keep'em flying!