cracked bumper

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
JDBend

cracked bumper

Post by JDBend »

I cracked my bumper on the passenger side. The crack goes from the bottom corner, straight up, almost up to the seam, where the regular bumper starts. I tried some Permatex brand epoxy, which advertises it is good for plastic and holds strong, but it did not hold. So, has anyone used ABS cement or recommend another type of glue?

1994 Z26
speedygtz

cracked bumper

Post by speedygtz »

try to stick a some small thin strips of metal behind it and rivit it

it will hold and if you paint the rivits you probably wont really notice
its how mine was done and it held for ever. well untill i got a new one.

the z26 is on the road!
JDBend

cracked bumper

Post by JDBend »

Riveting was my second choice, it is solid plastic? Part of the bumper around the fog light was scraped off, and it looks like the core is something like cardboard.

1994 Z26
CKr

cracked bumper

Post by CKr »

I don't think just the epoxy will hold the bumper since it's so flexible. Adding some of that fiberglass mat on the backside will stiffen it up and hold.

Fiberglass should hold it from the inside, you can get a fairly cheap fiberglass kit from Auto parts stores. ÂÂÂ I would also dremel a "V" shape in the crack and fill it with 2 part epoxy (the stuff with the hardener). Don't go the whole way through the crack though.  Sand the extra epoxy down after it's fully cured. You'll have to do a bit of body work and paint it when your done.

Rivets will just look cheap.

Cory
------
96 BRM Z26, 98 Estoril Blue BMW M3
JDBend

cracked bumper

Post by JDBend »

I lloked up fiberglass repairs at Autozone, there is a self adhesive patch, is that what you mean? Would I put fiberglass or bondo over it?

Thanks,
Jeff

1994 Z26
CKr

cracked bumper

Post by CKr »

(JDBend @ Jul. 18 2006,12:44)Q
U
O
T
EI lloked up fiberglass repairs at Autozone, there is a self adhesive patch, is that what you mean? Would I put fiberglass or bondo over it?

Thanks,
Jeff
You want the kit with the fiberglass resin and sheet. It was Bondo brand fiberglass repair kit or something close to that. Comes with a fiberglass sheet, resin and hardener and has step by step instructions on how to use it. It's actually quite easy to repair a smooth fairly flat surface. I'd put that on the inside of the bumper though or you'll have a lot of sanding to do.

As long as you scuff the surface before applying the fiberglass resin you should be good. I'd do a 80-120 grit scuff. I'd let it set up for at least 24 hours after applying.

Heh. I was thinking, it might be interesting trying to do this with the bumper on the car.

Cory
------
96 BRM Z26, 98 Estoril Blue BMW M3
JDBend

cracked bumper

Post by JDBend »

Thanks, I saw ithe kit on NAPA site, I'll do it this weekend

bumper:hammer

1994 Z26