Foglight Modifications

Vent shades, black outs, things like that
Jeff P

Foglight Modifications

Post by Jeff P »

Mod #1: Make Your Factory Fogs Work With Your High Beams

Why You Should Consider This
By law in most states, a vehicle may not drive with its foglights/driving lights/auxiliary lights illuminated in conjuction with its high beams. In compliance, Chevrolet wired the foglights in Berettas to turn off when the high beams turn on. For the people who often drive in at night in areas with little to no traffic and no streetlights, more light is always welcome, especially in areas with high deer populations.

Parts/Tools Needed
* Crimp-on Eyelet
* Wire Cutters
* Wire Stripper

Procedure
Locate your factory foglight relay between the battery and the LH fender. Remove the battery. Find a grounding screw close to the foglight relay (there should be one or more black wires attached to it). Find the light green wire coming out of the foglight relay and follow it through the wire harness until you have a long enough length to reach the ground screw. Cut the wire and crimp the eyelet to the end that goes to the relay. Cap off or tape off the other end of the cut wire so that there is no bare wire exposed. Attach the eyelet to the ground screw. Reinstall and reconnect your battery. Turn on your foglights and high beams. Your foglights will now stay on anytime your highbeams are on.

Mod #2: Make Your Factory Fogs Brighter Without Brighter Bulbs
Thanks to Aaron Choate for this idea!

Why You Should Consider This
The factory foglights have nonreflective deflectors in them so as to reduce glare. These deflectors block direct light output, so all of the light you see is merely reflected. Removing these deflectors will give you much greater light output to supplement your low or high beams for the reasons described in Mod #1.

Parts/Tools Needed
Assuming you already have the foglight assemblies removed
* Electric Drill
* Drill Bit (1/8" or slightly smaller...It has been a while since I've done this)
* Needle-nosed Pliers
* T-20 Torx Screwdriver
* Metal File
* Masking Tape

Procedure
Remove the front bezel from the foglight using the Torx screwdriver (some cars may have a Phillips screw) (Do not remove glass, it was removed for the picture only). Pull out the lens housing and disconnect the wires. Unfasten and remove the spring clip on the lens. Remove the bulb. Locate the tabs that hold the plain metal "cap" onto the housing. Bend these tabs 90 degrees upward until the cap can be removed. Look inside the housing at the deflector and its mounting points. Bend and crush this deflector until you think it will fit through the hole. From the outside of the housing, drill out the rivets that hold the deflector. Some rivets may be rounded on the outside so your drill bit will not stay in place. If this is the case, tape around the rivets to protect the paint, then file the rivets down until they can be drilled or simply removed. Remove the deflector through the hole and reassemble the foglight. Reinstall the foglight and test it.

Use sense when making use of these mods. Don't blind people. When the deflectors are removed from the foglights, it may be best to keep them turned off while in the city depending on how they are aimed. Some people will flash their lights at you.
Last edited by Jeff P on Sun May 31, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
'89 GT, '91 GT, '92 GTZ (12.95@105 mph), '01 Bonneville SSEi
MAJ28

Foglight Modifications

Post by MAJ28 »

Thanks Jeff, I'll definitelly be doing the first part, but for the 2nd I might just get some PIAA H3 bulbs if I need it brighter.  Can we get this in the Mod section someone?!

Also, now your fogs can stay on when your high beams come on as the running lights on a bright day - if you have a Z26 of course.

»Jason

> > > > >    1995 Z26 with 82k     > > > >      LG8 3100  ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚   
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Foglight Modifications

Post by heavywoody »

You can remove the deflector without removing the glass lense on the foglight. Just grind the two rivets holding the deflector in, and you can fish the deflector out of the hole where the foglight bulb goes into.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Jeff P

Foglight Modifications

Post by Jeff P »

(heavywoody @ Oct. 23 2005,19:11)Q
U
O
T
EYou can remove the deflector without removing the glass lense on the foglight. Just grind the two rivets holding the deflector in, and you can fish the deflector out of the hole where the foglight bulb goes into.
Heheh, I knew that picture would cause confusion.  The instructions tell you to fish it out the foglight hole, but I put that picture in there to show what the deflector looks like.  The light in that picture was a junkyard one that had a cracked lens.  If you look at the reflector there's still some glass around the edges.  Sorry for the confusion.  I may remove the picture...

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
Jeff P

Foglight Modifications

Post by Jeff P »

The pictures will probably be down for several days while I move.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
weba

Foglight Modifications

Post by weba »

Pics are still down  

I fill up for $130. Also Beretta owner since 2004
Jeff P

Foglight Modifications

Post by Jeff P »

Yeah, I just finally regained access to them, but now I can't edit the original message (I think because it's pinned).  So for the time being, here:

Foglight Relay

Brighter Lights

Deflector

They're probably not all the same pictures as before, but they're close

Edit:  Pictures removed since they're now back in the original post

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Foglight Modifications

Post by heavywoody »

Jeff, I edited the original post to show the new pictures.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
Jeff P

Foglight Modifications

Post by Jeff P »

Awesome, thanks Geoff!

-Jeff P.
Black '88 Beretta GT
Spice Red '06 GTO

Previously Owned:
90GTZHO

Re: Foglight Modifications

Post by 90GTZHO »

Yeah ive done both of these mods and on the second mod, i get flashed from time to time, but its nothing major. Its kinda cool though, i have then angled down just enough to light the road but not quite enough to blind people. I can see just as well with the fogs only as i can with my low beams :D All i have is standard bulbs too

Geoff
95 Base V6: Current Project; Work In Progress