Brake warning light..

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
GTU89

Brake warning light..

Post by GTU89 »

Okay, the fluid is fine, and everything seems to be all good with it.

But, randomly when I drive it the brake warning light will be on, and usually if I hit a bump the light flickers off, and stays off.

Loose wire somewhere? Brakes are completely fine, and of course when I try to show someone it won't come on.

Offtopic, for some reason the GTU is running amazingly these last few weeks, punch it at around 15mph and it'll smoke the tires believe it or not, and from a dead stop the speedometer goes to around 38-45-ish mph. Dunno why but it has been running amazingly of late. (not thrashing it, I take great care with it, but it's been running so good I had a little fun with it) only thing different is that before I changed the oil (was gassed down from being rich) I ran half a bottle of seafoam in the gas, and half in the oil (half in the gas with a gallon or two, since I didn't get to do it before after it was so fricking rich running awhile ago when the ICM went out and the fpr was bad) and my MPG went up a ton around the same time as it started running great, getting good mileage now.

But on topic, anything anyone would suggest? Nothing to worry about? Not loosing brake fluid or anything either, and like I said the brakes are completely fine.

Money pit Beretta

Re: Brake warning light..

Post by Money pit Beretta »

Don't leave that Sea Foam in there too long. Drive it a little longer and change the oil. You don't want to break loose too much sludge.

Did you try to move the parking brake around? The PB brake indicator may be the problem.

keep'em flying!
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Ebrake switch would be my first guess too. Ebrake up closes the circuit, but it may be staying closed with the lever down as well.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

woody90gtz wrote:Ebrake switch would be my first guess too. Ebrake up closes the circuit, but it may be staying closed with the lever down as well.
I messed around with it since it was my first thought, but didn't do anything. Could still be that though, I'll mess with it some more though.
Money pit Beretta wrote:Don't leave that Sea Foam in there too long. Drive it a little longer and change the oil. You don't want to break loose too much sludge.

Did you try to move the parking brake around? The PB brake indicator may be the problem.
Changed the oil maybe 3-4 days after running it through, so shouldn't be any in the system.

And I assume you mean the e-brake? Yep, messed with it.

I guess I'll mess with that some more though, hopefully it's that. Cannot really think of anything else it could be.

Does the e-brake switch/indicator go out much? (has anyone on here ever had it go out?)
Do they make them still to buy new?

Money pit Beretta

Post by Money pit Beretta »

LOL e-brake for auto, parking brake for stick. It's all the same. No, I have not heard of them going out, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I don't work on cars for a living, so that has alot to do with it. You could be right on the dash light, or it could be the connection at the master reservor.

Sounds good on the oil!

keep'em flying!
GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

Don't think it's related to the brakes, but now when moving there is a distict clicking sound coming from what sounds like the passenger side, applying the brakes doesn't affect the noise, and it's only when moving, speeds up the faster you go, the sound almost reminds you of the sound of rustling leaves if that helps describe the sound. The clicking gets slower and slower until you stop, at which point the sound goes away.

Both CV axles are new (only a few thousand miles on them, not much more than 10,000 at most), so those can be ruled out I think. Any guesses? Running and driving fine, but that clicking sound is embarrassing. Don't see anything rubbing or anything like that either.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

89's didn't have abs so that rules out the tone ring and abs sensor... so the next guess is wheel bearing.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
GTU89

Post by GTU89 »

3X00-Modified wrote:89's didn't have abs so that rules out the tone ring and abs sensor... so the next guess is wheel bearing.
Do they click sometimes when they go bad though? I've only really ever heard them howl. Still something to look into I guess though, I'll jack it up sometime soon and check for play.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

GTU89 wrote:
3X00-Modified wrote:89's didn't have abs so that rules out the tone ring and abs sensor... so the next guess is wheel bearing.
Do they click sometimes when they go bad though? I've only really ever heard them howl. Still something to look into I guess though, I'll jack it up sometime soon and check for play.
It's one of the few rotating parts at the wheel area that could make noise like that... so really you need to pull the CV out and double check nothing is hitting the boot clip or anything and then spin the hub over by hand to see if you feel anything. There may not be any play in it so don't rely on that check only.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"