Brake pads/rotors: will shop install my parts?

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
Yshish

Brake pads/rotors: will shop install my parts?

Post by Yshish »

I need my brake pads replaced and my rotors either resurfaced or replaced. I am getting quotes from the usual places like Midas, Meineke, etc. https://bestarny.com/brake-pads-for-chevy-silverado/ . The part prices they quote seem really high. I can get the same parts elsewhere for much lower. But I definitely cannot install the rotors myself. Will these shops install parts that I bring in and charge for labour only? If these shops don't, will local private auto repair shops do that?

Most of the time when I go to car service places, I feel ripped off because they seem to oversell things that I cannot do much about because the car is already opened up and they insist that the additional stuff must be done or bad things will happen. So what is the best cost-effective way to go about this?
Last edited by Yshish on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

heavywoody
Global Moderator

Re: Brake pads/rotors: will shop install my parts?

Post by heavywoody »

Some shops will, but you have to ask around. You can try looking for a mobile mechanic that doesn't charge book rate and only charges actual time.

May I ask what's preventing you from doing them yourself? It's very simple to do what you're asking as the rotors are cheap (no sense in spending money on turning rotors when that cost is usually more than a set of rotors).

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
aurolio

Post by aurolio »

I agree. Replacing the pads and rotors is a straightforward task unless you don't have the right tools.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

$25-$30 bucks at Harbor Freight will get you a decent enough set of tools to do something so basic as pads and rotors. No place to do them? Apartment rules won't allow it or some-such? Family says 'no, not here'? Do them one wheel at a time at the store you bought the parts from, don't do it in front of their doors, but out of the way, unlikely they will bother you... Buy a service manual -Haynes or Chiltons work fine, $20.

Years (and years, and years, and... Never mind :D ), I took my Honda 750 in to have the fork-seals done, because I didn't feel confident in doing the work, worried about special tools, blah blah. A heck of a lot of money later, the shop didn't torque certain bolts down right, and nearly got me killed. The service manager himself came out after I complained, and brought a little 3/8 ratchet out to 'make sure everything was tight'. :no: That is what they did wrong in the first place -not using a proper torque-wrench. I never had ANYONE work on my $#!t again -it isn't their lives, so do they care? I over-do, if I can't do something, it will probably never get done, but something like brake pads and rotors are simple. I can't really see much excuse NOT to. I know there are physical restrictions for some people, and I'm not talking about those situations. But I wish people would become a little more self-reliant... If you have the money and just don't want to get your hands dirty or simply don't have time, fine, but don't complain about the bill if you just don't WANT to do it yourself. Sorry, not trying to be an @$$-O about it, I just have a strong opinion about people who say they 'can't'. Here, so many of us would happily guide you through any questions you have, most of us like to help someone who wants to try. :pardon:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26