Have 89 GTU

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
Dozur

Have 89 GTU

Post by Dozur »

if replace front suspension and rear with 2021 stuff will that raise the car?

Rettax3

Re: Have 89 GTU

Post by Rettax3 »

"Stuff"? The ride-height is dictated by the springs. The GTUs were intended to ride low, for aerodynamics, handling, and of course styling to 'look' sporty. I don't know where we can even find new performance springs for these anymore [sigh]. My '89 GTU and both '90 Indys still sit quite well though, the GTU is somewhere in the high 100k miles, maybe 180? IDR... The Yellow Indy is in the mid 100ks, one rear spring was broken when I got the car, I can't even tell the difference.
New spring isolators might help, but if you get new 'generic' Beretta springs, like from Rock Auto or local parts-store, you might gai that ride height, but those springs will be much lighter-duty than the original springs... Definitely a dilemma for us -better original quality but worn-out, or new flimsy. I hope you can find a better quality aftermarket spring though.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Dozur

Post by Dozur »

I have searched most old post and tried the links and old websites nothing seems left :( She rides ok just feels squishy in front but still handles around corners. Maybe that just way they are.

I have found what appears to be OEM front replacements for all cars that used the body. just didnt know if GTU was different. I thought I read they came slightly lower then others

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

Yes, GTUs had larger, stiffer front sway-bars, and in '88 ONLY (not ours -I see yours is the same year as mine) had a "Z51" code suspension which included a big external bolt-on rear sway-bar, which can be piggy-backed underneath the '89's rear sway-bar (mine has both) :twisted: . Lower, stiffer springs in the "FE3" suspension-code were only fitted to GT's as an option and GTU's, later Z-26s got them too... I think the FE7 "Active" suspension used on the Indys, GTZ's and one weird-code option GT, I think in '92, used similar springs, but MOST GTZ's were four-cylinder H.O. cars, and thus had lighter springs...

As for feeling squishy, fresh bushings and end-links for the sway-bars and control-arms might help, I guess if the struts are worn there isn't much you can do now, and if the springs are tired you are definitely facing an expensive uphill battle to refresh them to as good as new... I am in the minority for disliking Poly bushings -they squeak, crack, and slam old metal parts together too hard for my taste, but they do stiffen things up a lot.

A strut-tower brace will work wonders for the ride (my GTU, one of my Z-26s, and one of my Indys have them already, I think all of them will eventually have them), and those are still around, you can use late-80's J-Body (Cavalier) strut-bars too. Mine are all hacked-in "H"-Body braces, but I have reasons for using that particular tower bar. Rear shock-tower braces are out there too, I never got around to making some for my Berettas, but I don't think they need it as badly as the front of the cars do. Mine are all pretty solid still too -rust hasn't been a problem on any of them luckily.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26