Rear axle bushing information

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
weba

Rear axle bushing information

Post by weba »

Thanks to Compnine, we do have precise information about rear axle bushings differences between different models,
there seems to be 3 options for stiffness:

Bushing 10150338 (Green)
1990-1994 FE2, FE3, F41 (EX Z04)

Bushing 10150339 (Blue)
1987-1989 All models.
1990-1993 FE7
1994-1996 FE3 (Z04)

Bushing 22597998 (Yellow)
1991-1996 FE1, FE2

After quick searching around, I found that the after-market bushings only have 1 option with the stiffness unknown, I decided to get NOS Blue bushings from Vintage parts.

Notice how the bushing says 'BLUE' on it and also has the same color paint on it.

These bushings can be a bitch to change without proper shop tool. I just drilled the hell out of mine, and used hand saw to cut the outer sleeve to get them out. Took over hour per side.

But it should be worth it. As our rear axles do have quite a side wobble because GM engineers left the Panhard bar away from the suspension, only thing carrying the sideways load are these bushings, witch on my cars are over 20 years old...

Thanks Ryan for re-shipping the Vintage Parts order for me!
Last edited by weba on Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Money pit Beretta

Re: Rear axle bushing information

Post by Money pit Beretta »

keep'em flying!
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Interesting. You may be the only person to ever change these bushings!

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

I changed mine there really annoying to change.

I just used parts store bushings tho. Didn't feel any difference in side to side sway.

Money pit Beretta

I have some Moogs that I plan to put on. Hell if I would have had this info before I would have got some GM's.
Update please Weba. I can always get the Blues.

keep'em flying!
weba

Post by weba »

Update what?

Koots

Post by Koots »

Anyone have any info on how any of these compare to the Moog replacements?

I'm gonna have to order from online, no matter what anyway, So I might as well try to get the best.

I will probably buy the softer bushing to keep the car isolated a little.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

This doesn't answer your question...
weba wrote: there seems to be 3 options for stiffness:

After quick searching around, I found that the after-market bushings only have 1 option with the stiffness unknown,

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Money pit Beretta

Koots Moog busings are stiff. The ride is rough, but they handle the turns well.

Weba the update was to see if there was any regrets. Boy did I lose track of this topic.

keep'em flying!
weba

Post by weba »

No regrets. Beretta doesn't really ride like a Rolls Royce in any form, so I'm fine with stiff bushings.
Unless you have like 85/165R14 tires and FE1 suspension.

Also my white car has the nylon bushings and I don't find it disturbing.

Also my ride clunks and clanks as there would not be tomorrow... My guess is something internally torn out in the body.. plus catastrophic engine mounting design...

edit: I'll clarify: I find that swapping in front poly bushings will bring in way more rattles and side-effects than going stiff rear axle bushings for some reason.

Koots

Post by Koots »

3X00-Modified wrote:This doesn't answer your question...
weba wrote: there seems to be 3 options for stiffness:

After quick searching around, I found that the after-market bushings only have 1 option with the stiffness unknown,

I saw that, but this was written 1.5 years ago and wanted to know if anyone else had anymore information since then.

I figured I would inquire about it all in this thread, so as not to start another thread and dilute the information pool, that we all share.

:good:

Koots

Post by Koots »

Money pit Beretta wrote:Koots Moog busings are stiff. The ride is rough, but they handle the turns well.

Weba the update was to see if there was any regrets. Boy did I lose track of this topic.
I will probably end up going with the Moogs, but I might try and find some of the NOS ACDelco bushings too.

I'm not afraid of a stiff ride so much as a rough ride. There are so many dirt/gravel roads here that they can't be avoided. Which is why I want to keep full suspension travel and a stiffened unibody.

weba

Post by weba »

I got my NOS bushings from Vintage parts Inc.

Money pit Beretta

Thanks Weba. Yeah having the ultra stiff bushings up front would change the perspective some. I would like to have some blues, but I've had a set of Moogs sitting for a long time. I had Moogs in the front of my 90GT, so I'd say the rear are the same.

Koots get some blues and if you don't like them we can trade(lol).

keep'em flying!
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Not to bring a thread back from the dead... I read this thread a long time ago and was pretty disappointed that the only options available for our cars was OEM NOS or Aftermarket. I hate the "squirmy" feeling our twist beam gives during quick lane changes and the "delay" the rear gives before setting into a corner. I kinda hoped that someone who has access to several different bushing options would durometer test them and compare to Moog and other aftermarket bushings available in search of something more firm; time has shown that we've all just accepted it I guess...

My old car had minor tears in the bushing, nothing "Torn out" but definitely tired and, if you aimed the mirrors at the back tires, you could see dynamic changes as the axle shifted left and right while going into corners, confirming my suspicions of major bushing deflection/twist axle flex. At the time this thread was new, I couldn't find any other options so I just dealt with it and dreamed of a watt's link that would solve all of our issues but i never built it... one day i might... there are a few Cruz models with the watts link at the local yard...

So, recently I looked through the whiteline catalog and came across a beam axle bushing kit that isn't exclusively for a Beretta, but it is a twist-beam axle bushing set, (it appears to be polyurethane but they never say, calling it a "synthetic elastomer") for cavaliers and cimmarons, sunbirds and sunfires etc. that share the same bushing dimensions and axle design as our cars. It's Whiteline P/N W61024, but you won't find it on the american whiteline website or catalog, only in the Australian ones... seemed strange, but i know that our vehicles aren't very common around here anymore and those rear axle bushings never did completely fail on my old car, so demand must be low.

My car is in pieces so I'm not ready to buy these yet, if anyone can shed some light on this product I'd be interested in hear it.

FWIW here's the direct link: https://www.whiteline.com.au/product_de ... ber=W61024 tell me what you think, don't kill the messenger for reviving the thread please!