Best strut mount? Kyb?

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
SummitBalt08

Best strut mount? Kyb?

Post by SummitBalt08 »

I got eibach/KYB combo, and while i was ordering the KYB stuff through Summit Racing i went ahead and ordered the KYB strut mounts..

Well then i remember reading through a thread on here that said the KYB mounts have problems later on..

I cant find that thread anywhere that i read that in! lol

I called Autozone and all they have is Gabrielle brand and they come with "bearings" is what the guy said.. that has me lost..

I thought i read that the best ones to get was the Monroe brand? AutoZone,Advanced Auto, or Oriellys doesnt stock that brand in the strut mounts.. If that is the best brand, where to get them from?

Thanks ahead of time, im getting close to getting this car done finally!!!

-Shawn
Been on the Beretta Forums since '04
94 Black Quad 5 spd Z26 ->3500 6 spd ZR6

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
Wanako

Re: Best strut mount? Kyb?

Post by Wanako »

RockAuto.com

They have them there, and if you hurry, I think they've got some at wholesale pricing. $15 EACH!!

Use this code 51135383431335 on the "How did you hear about us?" box on checkout and save an extra 5%.

Yes, KYB mounts are made of fail and lose, so they will die quickly. Monroe's are superior. Also don't forget that you also need some Strut bellows and they also come with the bump-stops. Monroe's are also good in this case. Jon uses them and has the same setup that you have. You don't want your new struts to overtravel and screw up all kinds of crap, like, themselves, or your tires, or fenders. Hope this helps.

:good:

weba

Post by weba »

Best? I'm 100% sure it would be the stock stuff. Vintage parts may be your friend...

MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

rockauto also sell the ac delco brand in wholesale price and the real price its a warranty difference on them

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

The question is though... does the AC delco come with the spacer, and bearing? The Monroe one does.

I'm ordering this stuff soon since I need new struts in the front.

This is what I just ordered...

I'll let you know what the ACDelco strut mounts look like when they arrive.

x2 ACDELCO 501146 Strut Mount Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty
x2 KYB SM5284 Strut Bearing
x1 KYB 235605 Strut Assembly
x1 KYB 235604 Strut Assembly
x2 MONROE 903970 Coil Spring Insulator
x2 MOOG K90462 Strut Bellow
x2 MOOG K5346 Coil Spring Insulator

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
MY91GT(Z)

Post by MY91GT(Z) »

they show pix of what comes with for most things on there may want to check

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

MY91GT(Z) wrote:they show pix of what comes with for most things on there may want to check
If there were a picture I wouldn't be asking...

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

Wow.. Should i order all of that Jon?

I couldnt find ACdelco strut mount 501146...

But i did find this..

ACDELCO Part # 50157 {#88946291} Upper Strut Mount SUSPENSION MOUNT [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 5 Remaining)
MOUNT,FRT SUSP STRUT LEFT HAND; 2 DOORS; w/o HVY DUTY SUSP(FE7)
MOUNT,FRT SUSP STRUT RIGHT HAND; 2 DOORS; w/o HVY DUTY SUSP(FE7)

Is this what i need? Mine is a 94 so maybe its not pulling up the same as yours.. i dont want to get the wrong part lol.

Would this come with whatever "spacer" i may need?
---

Also, can you explain what these are for and if i need them? Im learning alot here! lol
x2 MONROE 903970 Coil Spring Insulator
x2 MOOG K5346 Coil Spring Insulator

Other than that, i got the bellows and bearing in my shopping cart on rock auto.. I have already received the strut assemblys from Summit Racing so i dont need those...

Thanks

-Shawn

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

94 yes will be different, that's why the number doesn't match. I think the acdelco's come with the spacers, ill find out when mine show up... also they didn't list coming with bearing so that's why I ordered those as well. As far as the two isolators, the Monroe one is the top rubber part that goes against the spring and carries the bearing on top. The moog one is the small spring condom on the bottom between that an the strut.

If you look at my upper mount thread you can see the mount, angled spacer, metal spacer, bearing and then top isolator... I just bought all be parts since everything on Pinky other than the struts and springs are 100% stock... 98k miles on them now and since the right front strut seemed to have a wobble in the shaft is figured it was time to replace it all and just reuse the spring... lol. $315 later I hope it was a good idea... :runsies:

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
SummitBalt08

Post by SummitBalt08 »

I just placed the order for the same list you have but a few things are 94 instead of 95.. If you can, let me know if yours comes with the spacer.. If not i will have to get one on the way so i can get the suspension on in time.

The 94 has 147k on it, thats why i want to replace everything lol... For the rear its just the shocks right? Is there a mount or anything like that for the rear?

-Shawn

Bfests '11,'12,'14
July 2012 Bnet Calendar
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yes there is an upper mount for the rear that may need to be replaced if you can feel it wobble or make noise in the back... they don't go bad often though and typically will just go bad due to age of the rubber and not necessarily mileage wear.

I will have my upper mounts friday evening so I'll let you know what comes with them. My struts, bellow's and bearings are showing up today, and the insulators will be there on Sat... IIRC the original GM mount is a MOLDED spacer where as the Moog ones are the add on, so the ACDelco may come built the same way as stock.

You also could have purchased all 95 parts for your 94 and just used those, the overall frame of the car didn't change so I think everthing should have still fit fine. I know there was a 94 upper mount repair thread to show the difference on Bstuff but that never got carried over here.

It will be interesting for us to post pics of the 95-96 Delco mount vs the 94 and older Delco mount.

I also plan on returning the bearings if the Uppers come with a set... As noted I just ordered them in case they didnt come with it.

Hopefully these KYB struts last a bit longer than 3 years.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

I'd spend the money on the Koni upgrade myself; if I decide to replace the Bilstien's, that's what I'm going to use.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I don't NEED it though... You and I use the cars for two different applications... if I were more toward the road racing then maybe I would find it necessary, but I'm happy with what I have now and 66 bux each is easier to swallow. Maybe another year, and now I'll have a set of struts that I can use as cores to make them if I want to.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

You'll save 2 lbs out of the hole shot with Koni's! I figure you would want stiffer suspension out back to reduce squat!

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I could still do the Koni's out back if I want to and to be honest, I loose more taking a crap so 2lbs I'm not worried about in the 1/4, as noted, autox and such, sprung and unsprung weight it will make more of a difference. I'm not trying to rotate that weight so it wont hurt as bad, nothing like what happened when I added the f-body rotors, that was night and day with acceleration.

The other option I have right now is a spring rubber, I can get those pretty easily from ES so I just need to get the right diameter, Then I can have squat-less launching at the strip, but pull them out and still have a decent ride quality.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"