Koni Yellow PN's Bilstein #'s

Want some new struts? What brand springs to buy? How much camber to run? What brake pads? What's the best setup for your situation....
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Koni Yellow PN's Bilstein #'s

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Use this information at your own risk... I take no responsibility for any failures when doing this modification to your vehicle. You are fitting a part to the car that was not intended for it so the chance of some issue is always present.

If you can find them J-body Inserts that you can use in a regular front strut housing for a Beretta with bushing I designed or something else to space it properly.
DISCONTINUED
P/N# 8641-1454 Sport

A second Option that is known to work thanks to the J-body guys
-2nd gen Mitsubishi Eclipse (90-94) inserts can also be used. They are 15mm shorter and have more travel than the 3rd gen inserts. The only real reason for using these would be for more overall suspension travel.
-PN#8641-1231Sport

Saab 900 94-98 Rear Shocks that can be adapted to 94 and older rear suspension. All you need to do is drill out the upper mount to accept a 14mm bolt vs the 12mm that is on the stock shocks.
P/N# 8041-1191 Sport

Optional Bilstein Shock
Bilstein PN F4-BE5-2538-H0
Saab 900 94-98

To use the Thunderbird shocks above you will need to purchase some cheap aftermarket shocks they come with a lower bracket to mount them. Just narrow the collar on the shock by a tiny amount to fit this width and your good to go. Only difference between the Saab's and these Thunderbird ones is the valving is a bit more aggressive and the lower mount is a 14mm bolt vs a 10mm bolt.
Lower bushing is also 41mm wide vs 36mm. Hence the need to narrow it to fit the bracket.
IMAG0208.jpg

Procedure for front strut build is below, I have more photos towards the end of the thread with my custom bushings I made.

Length numbers for each shock.
87-94 Beretta Rear Shocks, 21.73" Extended, 13.58" Compressed.
95-96 Beretta Rear Shocks 18.62" Extended, 12.13" Compressed.
KYB 94-98 Saab Rear Shocks 21.42" Extended, 13.39" Compressed.
Bilstein 94-98 Saab Rear Shocks 21 15/16" Extended, 14" Compressed.
Koni 94-98 Saab Rear Shocks 21 15/16" Extended, 13.25" Compressed.
Koni 1989-97 Thunderbird/Cougar Rear Shocks 19.21" Extended 11.85 Compressed

Info regarding using Saab 900 shock on 95-96, for a 95-96 fitment you will have a shock that is 3.3" longer at full extension, and 1.87-1.12" longer at full compression depending on which shock you use... I'm still unsure of what length you NEED to ensure you do not bottom out the shock before the factory bump stops. My first attempt with Saab Konis is about 1" less of travel. I HAD 3 1/8" of travel with the KYB's and I now have 2" of travel with the Koni's.(Shock will bottom out with the suspension, I advise you to get the Thunderbird shocks and build a lower mount for them to avoid this since you can damage the shocks.)

More Koni shock info comparing many dampeners.
Jonathan,

I responded to the prior email a few minutes ago. We cannot do a group buy that is organized by us but we can build a production run for a single company or individual to arrange and pay for and that person can organize a group buy or sell them however they want.

I cannot send drawing of the inserts themselves but the key specification of the insert Outside Diameter is not stated on the drawings anyway. Every application is vehicle specific and by definition an insert must be an exact dimensional fit inside the strut house for it to be secure and safe. We do not have any data that shows the IDs of the OE strut housings. I have done a review of the maximum extended and minimum compressed lengths and the valving specifications at two piston speeds (0.33meters/sec. or 13.0 inches/sec and .13 meters/sec or 5.1 inches/sec.) and find the specs for the Cavalier (8641-1454Sport ), Eclipse (8641-1231Sport) and the old Beretta/Grand Am (8641-1239Sport) to be quite different.

---------------------------Max. extended (mm)-----------Min. Compressed (mm)----------Rebound damping max/min (Newtons/sec)------------------Compression damping (Newtons/sec)
Beretta/Grand Am
8641-1239Sport--------------580---------------------------------417----------------------------------1300/650 @ .33 m/s---------------------------------------------400 @ .33 m/s
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------500/250 @ .13 m/s----------------------------------------------280 @ .13 m/s
Cavalier
8641-1454Sport--------------567---------------------------------400----------------------------------2500/1250 @ .33 m/s---------------------------------------------700 @ .33 m/s
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1500/750 @ .13 m/s----------------------------------------------400 @ .13 m/s
Eclipse
8641-1231Sport--------------528---------------------------------375----------------------------------2100/1050 @ .33 m/s---------------------------------------------900 @ .33 m/s
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1320/660 @ .13 m/s----------------------------------------------650 @ .13 m/s

Looking at the data, dimensionally the Beretta and Cavalier units are similar with Cavalier being ½ to ¾ inch shorter but the Cavalier is nearly double the rebound and compression damping forces of the Beretta. Although the valving of the Eclipse unit in rebound is in between the other two cars, the compression damping is much higher and most concerning the max and min dimensions are much shorter. Because of the way that it is designed, takes loading in the suspension, and makes beam strength or resists bending, It is extremely important that you not run too short an insert in a car or have it too far extended as the strength drops very rapidly as you extend it more than it was meant to be based on the vehicle ride height. Over-extending an insert is the primary way for failure when cross referencing part numbers so simply putting a very short strut insert in a car is often a very bad idea in reality.

Looking at the rears, here are the specs:

---------------------------Max. extended (mm)-----------Min. Compressed (mm)----------Rebound damping max/min (Newtons/sec)------------------Compression damping (Newtons/sec)
8040-1133Sport--------------573---------------------------------367----------------------------------1700/850 @ .33 m/s---------------------------------------------330 @ .33 m/s
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------560/280 @ .13 m/s----------------------------------------------200 @ .13 m/s

8041-1309Sport--------------614---------------------------------434----------------------------------2000/1000 @ .33 m/s---------------------------------------------300 @ .33 m/s
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------560/280 @ .13 m/s----------------------------------------------200 @ .13 m/s

8041-1191Sport--------------560---------------------------------337----------------------------------1500/750 @ .33 m/s---------------------------------------------450 @ .33 m/s
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------890/445 @ .13 m/s----------------------------------------------200 @ .13 m/s

The Cavalier rear shock is the outlier here with a much longer length (about 4 inches compressed) than the other two. It makes the most rebound force but the least high piston speed compression force.

Hopefully this data provides some insight but I think the key takeaway is that the Eclipse front insert is likely to be a bad idea unless you do a great deal of research and confirmation and the car’s ride height is sitting considerably lower than on the others.

Best regards,
Lee Grimes
KONI America
Automotive Product Mgr.
1961 International Way
Hebron, KY 41048
Cell (859) 630-9350
Desk (859) 586-4100 ext. 316
Fax (859) 334-3340

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Koni Yellow PN's.

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Only attempt if you have the knowledge and tools to do so. This can very well be a difficult job for a novice.

WELL I finally got some free time to install the Koni's that have been sitting around a couple months. I used a set of OEM Delco struts from a 1996 Base (Daves base)

Here are the pics

stock strut

measure 40mm

cut the old cartridge out

remove cartridge from housing and drain oil

grind sharp edges

drill big hole on the bottom to accept the bolt

You will need to make a bushing to fill in the gap, exhaust tubing works well

Install Koni yellow adjustable strut cartridge

The strut housing will be sandblasted and powdercoated. Thats why I didnt post finished pics. Otherwise I would grind the rust and repaint.

Reinstall spring, then alignment and enjoy.
Pics to follow someday hopefully.

Found some pics on the J-body site... filled in what I could and I will be updating it with my progress of my install when my inserts arrive.

EDIT 6-8-16
Pauly recently did this with the Mitsubishi inserts and the total cut off for the strut housing is 64mm vs the Koni measurement of 40mm. These inserts are shorter than the J-body's. This ended up with a insert stickout like this.
You want to have at least this much of the insert visible.

In conjunction with the longer cut to use the mitsubishi inserts you also need to compensate for the different top thread vs the older J-body versions. There is a step that messes with how the top hat fits everything and you need one thin bushing to take up that extra space. Bushing is 0.855 OD x 0.590 ID x .500 thick. The other sleeves that I was selling to weld into the strut housing also needs to be tighter since the Mitsubishi strut housing was a smaller diameter.(dimension coming) The J-body ones are larger and if you use the older sleeves then the insert will move around some which is not good.

Spacers you need for the top hat's
IMG_20160629_150919_zpsugfl7wyc.jpg
Where the spacer goes.
IMG_20160629_193235_zpsxvzipsjn.jpg
IMG_20160629_193241_zpsiufnaicb.jpg
IMG_20160629_193253_zpsmn4rrqgb.jpg
With Top hat installed.
IMG_20160629_193657_zpsoujsbb5q.jpg
IMG_20160629_193640_zpspuf9zsaq.jpg
Completed strut
IMG_20160629_192651_zps9kmqmz7p.jpg

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Steph (and all) -

Where can I get koni (yellow) shocks for the rear of my GTZ? I realize that I can use the Gen 3 cav struts for the front - as many have done. I have tried three of the major locations that google has provided for me that could carry the original Koni's for the berettas - and I've gone as far as completing the orders, only to be told they no longer have them.

I read somewhere on v6z24.com that I could utilize Koni's for a Saab. Here is a clip of what was said:

"There is a set of yellows that will fit the rear, but it does require some work and it won't be valved correctly unless you use a stiffer rate spring. 94-98 Saab 900 shocks are the same length, stroke, and have the same mounting style. The biggest difference is that the stud is 12mm instead of 10mm, so you need to ream out the shock mount."

Is true? I'm just looking to have a fully adjustable suspension - Does anyone know any reliable source for the Koni's in the rear? Thanks in advance.

-Matt
'92 GTZ
'88 GTU
Other info from an old post about the J-body guys doing it.

http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/started ... 67951.html

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I think I will be the first to do the Koni's on the rear of a 95+ car... As long as I can verify the PN from Alex.... Shitty part is the Saab 900 PN is $40 more expensive than the previously though Saab 9000 number... damnit! lol

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
heavywoody
Global Moderator

Post by heavywoody »

I've been planning on this for my 95 for a few months now, just haven't had time or finances to make the plunge (yet). Should have things together very soon.

Geoff
95 Z26 Turbo 3400 5spd - R&D Project
Beretta Preservation Society - Director of Acquisitions
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

I'll start with the rears first... the fronts I'll do over the winter.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Barry
Global Moderator

Post by Barry »

Woot woot!

Finally some real struts and shocks going into L bodies. Eff kyb crap

KFLO 93 GT

Post by KFLO 93 GT »

I'll be watching with interest. My car needs some ground control coilover inserts upfront with some stiff ass custom springs in them.

93 GTs
spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

dont have any clue as to where those pics are :(

added:

My write up still exists? I havent seen it in a long time or do i remember what site it was on. lol

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yeah it was on this site, if you search for Koni Shocks it comes up.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
spacecadetz26

Post by spacecadetz26 »

shocker it was never pinned :P

i had the pics hosted on his ftp site dont know if he still has them.

Steph
94 Camaro B4C Special Service Package
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

everything got transfered over to Will.... I could ask him if he ended up with those photos.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

I might have a bunch of pics from mine somewhere. Its nice to finally see someone post this!

88 Beretta CL - your average grandma car.. Ls1 swap in progress
77 Celica - needs an engine swap
96 Geo - 1.0L, Cam, 3 angle, magnaflow, Koni, coilovers.
86 Subi - Supercharged @7psi
Alxsmt

Post by Alxsmt »

mine are from a 94 saab 900. part number matches what you posted 95-98. I paid 181.00 each on tirerack.. only 161.00 now!

88 Beretta CL - your average grandma car.. Ls1 swap in progress
77 Celica - needs an engine swap
96 Geo - 1.0L, Cam, 3 angle, magnaflow, Koni, coilovers.
86 Subi - Supercharged @7psi
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

first post updated with links to cheapest price. Race Mart for 136 on rears and 148 on fronts.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"