Broken odometer? How to fix

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
yellow3800

Broken odometer? How to fix

Post by yellow3800 »

At least for my 91, the newer dash, and from memory, has similar construction to the older gen cluster. Due to cold temperatures, and getting brittle with age, the gears that drive both main odometer and trip wheels, split and break. This opens their grip from an original press-fit on the spindle and the motor turns to no result. 3 of mine were all cracked in exactly half with additional spider cracks. The two drive gears are clear plastic and are more brittle than they should be. The odometer gear on the right is softer but thinner despite being a better material and therefore cracks just to be part of the club.

I fixed these by scuffing the gear faces front and back and used fiberglass cloth immersed with 30min epoxy, let dry, and trimmed the excess epoxy glass the next day with a razor blade. Don’t try to cut a circle in cloth…it’ll fall apart. Just make a mess of fibers and apply in SMALL (1/4”) amounts as needed. Add a dab of 5min epoxy the next day (had both on hand) when putting the gears back on the metal spindle to ensure grab. Faster epoxy remains more rubbery through time and longer setting epoxy is stronger and less flexible. I used 30min for adhesion and better to use with fiberglass cloth. If you need to buy glue to do this go with any epoxy…15min falls in the middle of what I used here.

Assuming that you know how to remove the cluster from the car, next I had to remove the clear plastic front and speedometer needle (acceptable in the case of having a broken odometer as I plan to recalibrate with gps later) to split the halves. Once this is done, just pull gently. The obvious now takes place with the cluster of odometer innards is accessible. Should you want to change the mileage readout, here you are.

The main wheel is backed with a row of material to keep numbers aligned that sits in a channel. While you have to go out of your way to break this, Don’t break this. Lift the odometer wheel out of its cradle and spin to desired indication. Put back when done.

I don’t want to spend time on a better tutorial because this failure may be rare. For me, it’s easier than waiting for a replacement cluster that may fail elsewhere after I replace it and have to endure the miles being wrong. That would make me crazy.

yellow3800

Re: Broken odometer? How to fix

Post by yellow3800 »

Pictures of what lies beneath:
Attachments
75508CE6-C618-4E61-B169-9A616496DBF0.jpeg
A3531FC5-BC1C-4623-99F3-472971235060.jpeg
2E16D5A5-C28B-4C49-B919-78746A4CA339.jpeg
3B6F7AC8-A0ED-4927-9DAF-29CA1F0365E5.jpeg