Gen2 to Gen3 swap front engine mount?

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
GT_Indy

Gen2 to Gen3 swap front engine mount?

Post by GT_Indy »

Is it possible to still get the custom front passenger mount for the 3400 swap into a 3.1 v6 car?
I found the LX5 throttle body swap kit at Wot-Tech which allows me to keep my 3T40 auto, but I cannot seem to find the front passenger bracket needed to do the swap.
I recall someone saying there is a difference in the way the mount is made if you do or do-not have air conditioning, I'm looking for the one that has air conditioning.

3X00-Modified
Administrator

Re: Gen2 to Gen3 swap front engine mount?

Post by 3X00-Modified »

We have the mount instructions on the forum... The difference should only be Manual to Auto... I think maybe the only difference for AC is to drill a hole and weld a nut on the back so the bracket can bolt up again, but I'm not sure.

http://www.beretta.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 42#p145922

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I also remember hearing from someone that the A/C compressor was an issue with the J-Body front mount unless you switch to the newer style compressor (might have been 'The Mixer'?). I designed my own (far simpler) mount designed to retain the original 3.1 or 2.8 A/C compressor, so I never had any issues. I still don't like the complexity of the J-type mount, and that if any angle is cut or welded wrong the next one keeps adding to the mistake. BUT, it isn't really a precision part of the machine, and I can't recall anyone having a problem with it either. Best bet is to measure the difference between the manual and automatic mounts, if that isn't an option though, make sure you know exactly how your engine is placed inside your bay prior to replacing it with the 3400 by measuring off of frame references. If any adjustments need to be made to the mount afterward, at least you know which direction to go...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Thanks for the link, I had a hard time finding a reference to this part, I didnt realize it was stickied. I'll keep it for reference.

Do you know if they are referring to the 4T60e automatic in that PDF when they say this front passenger mount is different for the automatic transmission?

I'm thinking it shouldn't matter between the 5 speed and the 3T40 because I've never had issues in the past when swapping auto to manual on the Gen2 engine (3.1). I can report back if I decided to go through with a 3400 swap.

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

They are referring to the TH125C and all rose-is-a-rose-by-any-other-name incarnations. The problem is the spacing of the CV output sockets in the transmissions are located differently relative to the engine block. Not by much mind you, but some members have reported problems with their CV joints wearing out faster if the wrong mount is used. Which has NOHING to do with the added torque output of a 3400... :roll:

I have both auto and manual mounts floating around (yes, helium-filled), if I can find them both at the same time and line them up side-by-side, I'll try to snap a couple of pics and/or take some measurements, I just don't know when I'll have the time to go digging for them -a lot of stuff is happening right now, and I am still trying to get a couple of cars put back together.

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
3X00-Modified
Administrator

Post by 3X00-Modified »

Yeah there is about a 3/4" to 1" difference in distance spacing on the 5-speed mounts vs the Auto. And any 4t60e equipped car would not need this mount since it would be a 94+ chassis.

Mr.Pink
Supreme Unit
Sleepy Goodness
"Beretta Guy"
GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

I'll keep that in mind.