Door stuck closed, neither handle works!

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Cam2363

Door stuck closed, neither handle works!

Post by Cam2363 »

My driver door on my 96 z26 is stuck closed, neither handle works. It seems to be stick open just a tiny bit, as the trim isnt flush like it should be. I also dont hear the latch activate like I do on the passenger door. I tried popping the panel off the best I could with no luck. It worked when I got home, but when i went back out, it refused to open. Any advice?

I also tried cycling the locks, pushing from the outside and pushing from the inside and no change

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

jeff540

Re: Door stuck closed, neither handle works!

Post by jeff540 »

Sounds like a rod popped off. Also try your key.

Cam2363

Re: RE: Re: Door stuck closed, neither handle works!

Post by Cam2363 »

jeff540 wrote:Sounds like a rod popped off. Also try your key.
I tried my key, that didnt work. I've tried everything. The rod for the interior handle didnt pop off the place where it's supposed to attach. I'm pretty much stuck

Rettax3

Post by Rettax3 »

I had a similar (not same though) issue with IIRC my '90 T-Type 'Retta. I had a spare outer door-handle/trim plate, and grabbed a large drill bit and used the new handle as a guide for where to drill. Once the outer handle/trim is off there is a little access in to figure out what is wrong. Alternatively, you can cut some sort of access through your door-panel inside the car.

I've not yet seen an actual latch mechanism go bad on one of these cars yet, but if that has happened, you may not be able to fix it any other way than by removing all or part of the interior door panel...

Sucks, but you don't have much other choice, unless you want to paint your car orange with a confederate flag on the roof and rename "The General Lame". :roll: Good luck.

Edit: On some cars, if the door is latched only part way, the locks won't disengage, and you have to push it closed the rest of the way for it to work. I don't recall if Berettas are like that or not...

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
jeff540

Post by jeff540 »

Do you have power door locks?

jeff540

Post by jeff540 »

You might have mutiple rods in your door,one could have popped off solonoid,handle,latch....

jeff540

Post by jeff540 »

There is plastic clips that hold the rods inside the door,they do break,then the rod will fall inside the door.

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

My dad was able to get it open somehow, and it was working fine until I locked it, once i locked it and unlocked it again, it didnt work anymore. Really frustrating. No pieces broke or rods popped off or anything

jeff540

Post by jeff540 »

You wrecked that car right? You may have shifted the fender and door causing it to bind.happened to my wife's suv after she was hit.i just had to adjust the door striker just a tad.

Cam2363

Re: RE: Re: Door stuck closed, neither handle works!

Post by Cam2363 »

jeff540 wrote:You wrecked that car right? You may have shifted the fender and door causing it to bind.happened to my wife's suv after she was hit.i just had to adjust the door striker just a tad.
Unlikely, it's been opening fine ever since the accident, and like I said, my dad managed to get it open. Only seemed to break again when it was locked and the door handle was pulled, but until the point I tried that, door opened every time

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

Figured out the problem!

Turns out that the metal piece that the rod attaches too at the exterior handle didn't have enough lube, so it would get pushed out but would get stuck and wouldn't return, thus causing the rod to be pushed as you were opening the door, but you weren't. I lubed it up and it works fine now! Thanks for your help and suggestions, really appreciate it!