Interior swaps

If there isn't a place for your question then put it here.
Urkman

Interior swaps

Post by Urkman »

I have a '95 Z26 and a '91 base. '95 is probably going to get scrapped in the near future.

The dashboard vinyl is letting go in the '91 pretty bad. Would the dash in the '95 fit properly? It looks pretty much identical from the outside.

I'd like to swap the seats and the backseats as well. Would this be a viable project without needing much if any modification?

Thanks.

Rettax3

Re: Interior swaps

Post by Rettax3 »

Hi Urkman, sorry to hear your '95 Z is so far gone, hate to see another one die. :( But yes, '91-'96 had the same interiors, aside from a couple years in the middle that used different seat-belts (pillar-mounted vs door-mounted) and related differences in door-panels. Instrument clusters, modules, and particularly wiring harnesses changed, primarily in '96 with OBD2's introduction. Just unclip the harnesses from the back of each dash assembly and keep everything electrical in the car, you will be fine (aside from the incredible back-ache you will sustain from pulling two dashes and re-installing one). ;) If the cars are grey inside, note that there was a significant change in color-tone early on, just look for that if you aren't planning on swapping EVERYTHING over, as it might look funny once you get the interior pieces next to each other. Your base most likely has the 'third-eye' high-mount brake light in the rear window, peeking up through the rear package-tray (felt-covered panel between the rear seat-back and rear glass), if you swap that over you might need to cut a new hole for it, unless going with the Z spoiler and using it's high-mount. You MIGHT need to swap some of the trunk-area wiring over to do that, I am not sure as both of my '95s are Z-26s, and I've never had a '91+ Base, but check it over before letting the '95 go.

Edit: Hey man, happy anniversary! You signed-up four YEARS ago! How about that. :good:

1989 SuperCharged 3800 Srs-II (First)Six-Speed GTU
1990 Turbo 3.4 5-Speed T-Type
1990 4.0L 4-Cam 32-Valve V-8 5-Speed Indy GTi (Project)
1990 Stock(!) 3.1 MPFI Auto Indy
1995 LA1/L82 4T60E Z-26
1995 3.4 DOHC Turbo 5-Speed Z-26
Urkman

Re: Interior swaps

Post by Urkman »

Retiring the '95 breaks my heart for sure. It's been an amazing car over the last 12 years I've had it.

The '95 seats fit perfectly and already looks/feel a million time better in the '91.

I'm hoping to pull the dashes this weekend. I attempted to take off the spoiler a couple years ago to touch up the paint but decided against that as it was NOT breaking loose and I didn't want to start breaking any bolts or clips.

This is just a good an opportunity as I can get right now to make the best out of the remaining car before I have to move at the end of the month.

Didn't even realize the dates either haha. The forum is full of useful info. Poured through it many times learning the ins and outs :D