Manual transmission parts 5spd Getrag Muncie 282

List any Item for a Beretta that you want to purchase
yellow3800

Manual transmission parts 5spd Getrag Muncie 282

Post by yellow3800 »

I split the case of a 5spd to redo the seal... Leaking bad, it can wait no longer! While I was in there, I wanted to replace as many seals as I could.

Where can we get:

Clutch fork bearings? (One needle-roller type each side of the shaft)

Main Input shaft bearing? (The one that’s pressed in, and in front of the $4 seal that we can still get)

The fiero and cavalier guys have replaced this side of the trans, the housing, just to get these, And this was read from a 2010 post so...
Where can we find beretta-compatible transmission half-housings that have a new bearing and seal pressed in already?

These are NOT what you see listed in rockauto or oreilly, and your local part stores despite the listing “input shaft bearing”. It is wrong. The trans input shaft bearing is a set of 1/4” dia by say 5/8” long rollers in a cage housing. We can also buy clutch forks...useless if they have no supportIng end bearings parts people!

On a contributive note, somewhere in the midst of the Rodney Dickman site, I discovered that (forgot name) a company bought some 400 of these 282 transmissions new when GM was done putting them in cars and have them on their shelves as NOS... Most without the bell housings to pair the car that they are going to, which DOES NOT SOLVE my bearing issue presented above. However, 0-mile transmissions for us all! Again, useless if the fluid leaks past this main seal!

At the time of this post, a 0-mile unicorn like this is on eBay for $400 SHIPPED. Beretta won’t do it. Try ‘282’ in the search. Heck, responding to my own post before I’m done, I’d email them and ask if they have any beretta housings.

I post this because I gave my bell housing to a local trans shop for a week and they cannot source these parts. They are considered UNOBTAINABLE. And if they can’t find them, then... which brings me here.

Anyone?

Andy<—- reassembled 190k mile trans with old main seal And gritty clutch fork bearings (yuck)

Lemon 3800 automatic <—-loves not having to shift
Orange 3800 5spd <—- subject car

woody90gtz

Re: Manual transmission parts 5spd Getrag Muncie 282

Post by woody90gtz »

I searched all over when I rebuilt my 282. Cliff found me a kit from Autozone that had the input shaft seal (the one with the sleeve that the TOB rides on). I believe that kit is no longer available though. I still have the box in the garage with the old components I replaced. I can get you a part number.

For the shift fork bearings I reused them after cleaning really good a re-lubing with some CV grease. Still looked fine after a few years when I had it apart for my 3400 refresh.

91 "SS" - WOT 3400/5spd - 13.29@101.6 - World's fastest N/A FWD Beretta
96 "T56" LS/6spd/8.8 RWD swap - 13.45@104.7 lol
GEARHEAD dezign youtube
woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Oh, and I remembered, Rodney Dickman made a kit for the input shaft bearing/seal.
http://rodneydickman.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=305

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
yellow3800

Post by yellow3800 »

Thank you Eric!

Well then we aren't hosed completely. I am amazed that the search function on Rodneys site doesn't work better. Search should have showed me this.

If you think there is a chance of that autozone-originated p/n coming through so it can be found and bought from someone's dusty shelf, post it please.

I wish that I could say the same for my clutch fork bearings: outer one is broken a few hall-posts and rollers may not lay flat against the fork that's surface looks like I'm making a fist... my fork has finger grooves! I too packed it full of the high temp grease and rotated it. I'll replace the fork next go around and probably carve a bushing if it comes to it. no slop right now.

ANYONE HAVE THE P/N FOR THE CLUTCH FORK BEARINGS?

Here is the MIDWEST TRANS link, the company that bought the 600 of overstock from GM's shelves. Saving you clicking to see price, as of now, near $1500 for a new trans, so new... that you can turn it bowl-up and eat spaghetti-ohs out of it!

https://www.midwesttrans.com/muncie-282 ... nsmission/

Right now, 9 new trans' are on ebay $400ea... looks to be the v6 3.94 ratio for the quads
the kit you speak of here is $170 [and we still may need clutch fork bearings]
Midwest NOS trans is under $1500

ebay search for the $400 trans DOES have 'beretta' in the title
I messaged them to find that these were not the same batch. They originally bought 2700 of these.

So to anyone new to dealing with a manual trans, if you pull it out of the car and the main input shaft seal is leaking, this is your biggest obstacle.
Last edited by yellow3800 on Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woody90gtz

Post by woody90gtz »

Pro King BK234. I just googled it and it's no longer available though.

GEARHEAD dezign youtube
Browser

Post by Browser »

As someone, who just finished with gearbox

https://cobratransmission.com/hm282-bea ... 50150001-1
https://www.transmissionpartsdistributo ... ars-bk234/
http://rodneydickman.com/product_info.p ... cts_id=305

The clutch fork bearings were available in my local bearing shop "16x22x14 bearing". One bearing is through and one is with blocked end.

Also if needed new fork https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/che ... +fork,1992

Get them while they hot. I ordered one last year and got the last one. Looks like they are available again now. I got the Pioneer one.