Viper 5301 Remote Start Not Working

For all those little gadgets that make driving your car more fun and convienent. Big subs, screaming tweets? Got an amp that's on the way out? Need some recommendations? Then this is the place to ask.
Cam2363

Viper 5301 Remote Start Not Working

Post by Cam2363 »

I hooked up a viper 5301 system and the remote start doesnt work but everything else does.

I looked at the troubleshooting guide and it says my problem is the neutral safety switch, but the wire for that goes directly to ground and I still get the same thing.

Anyone know whats wrong?

Also does anyone who installed a similar system know how to hook up the defroster and the parking lights?

For a 96 beretta

GT_Indy

Re: Viper 5301 Remote Start Not Working

Post by GT_Indy »

I don't have them with me at the moment, but I have the dealer service books for 96 Beretta.
I can take a photo of the pages with the electrical wiring and post them here later.

Your Viper unit should have come with a wiring diagram explaining what each wire does, if you photo copy it I can help you match up the wires where they need to go.

I got your message and replied about the parking lights and rear defogger hook ups, I know the replies aren't too helpful because I don't remember the wires off hand, but I can also attach those pages and help direct you with adding relays for the box to control the items.

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

GT_Indy wrote:I don't have them with me at the moment, but I have the dealer service books for 96 Beretta.
I can take a photo of the pages with the electrical wiring and post them here later.

Your Viper unit should have come with a wiring diagram explaining what each wire does, if you photo copy it I can help you match up the wires where they need to go.

I got your message and replied about the parking lights and rear defogger hook ups, I know the replies aren't too helpful because I don't remember the wires off hand, but I can also attach those pages and help direct you with adding relays for the box to control the items.
I fixed it. The switch was off. :fool:

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Cam2363 wrote:
GT_Indy wrote:I don't have them with me at the moment, but I have the dealer service books for 96 Beretta.

:burn: LOL

I did the same thing in the past on a different car.

One thing I never did which I suggest is to add the hood switch so it disables the remote start if the hood is open.
Its a lot safer.

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

GT_Indy wrote:
Cam2363 wrote:

One thing I never did which I suggest is to add the hood switch so it disables the remote start if the hood is open.
Its a lot safer.
I thought about that, but I dont wanna drill any holes and running wires is a pain.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Cam2363 wrote:
GT_Indy wrote:
Cam2363 wrote:

Its a lot safer.
I thought about that, but I dont wanna drill any holes and running wires is a pain.
lol yah, same reason I didn't do it either. I don't like drilling holes in things.

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

GT_Indy wrote:
Cam2363 wrote:
GT_Indy wrote:
Cam2363 wrote:

Its a lot safer.
lol yah, same reason I didn't do it either. I don't like drilling holes in things.
Yeah. That and the fact that my car is pretty much untouched and has little rust, I dont wanna damage what works

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

There is one other option.
The wire harness that goes into the firewall on the passenger side.
If you unravel the tape you can feed a wire through the rubber in under the dash and add it into the existing harness.

I did that when I converted my car to the Z26 body kit. I added the fog lights and needed to add the wire for the switch. Took a while but I fed it through the harness.
I never added anything else that way because it was to much work to take everything apart and put it back together.

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

GT_Indy wrote:There is one other option.
The wire harness that goes into the firewall on the passenger side.
If you unravel the tape you can feed a wire through the rubber in under the dash and add it into the existing harness.

I did that when I converted my car to the Z26 body kit. I added the fog lights and needed to add the wire for the switch. Took a while but I fed it through the harness.
I never added anything else that way because it was to much work to take everything apart and put it back together.
Oh wow haha.

Basically, you said this is your option, but dont do it. I didn't plan to anyways. Ive had to run a wire before and it was a 10 minute party with my dad shoving a coat hanger through the firewall and me reatchintg down to get it. Not fun.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Yah I like keeping things as stock as possible even when I know I'm going to modify something.
Or you get that guilt like "should I really be modding this?" lol.
My 455 swapped cadillac still has all the factory 307 engine control harness. I never removed any of it, instead its all neatly bundled to the side. lol.

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

GT_Indy wrote:Yah I like keeping things as stock as possible even when I know I'm going to modify something.
My 455 swapped cadillac still has all the factory 307 engine control harness. I never removed any of it, instead its all neatly bundled to the side. lol.
Haha awesome. I used to own a caddy but sold it as the beretta is smaller, easier to drive and doesn't get 9mpg. What caddy is it?

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

Cam2363 wrote:
GT_Indy wrote:Yah I like keeping things as stock as possible even when I know I'm going to modify something.
Haha awesome. I used to own a caddy but sold it as the beretta is smaller, easier to drive and doesn't get 9mpg. What caddy is it?
87 brougham. Gets 11 mpg with a 455 v8 and 400 auto.
I take it to the track once a year to do drag race and autocross, the rest of the time it sits. lol.
Ever tried autocross with a land yacht? Its fun.

Yah, I daily the Beretta, its comfortable and gets good mpg. The 90 GTZ gets better mpg but I'm using my 96 first.
I've been considering getting a pickup truck like an S10 to haul stuff, but the Beretta trunk has been big enough so far.
Plus Most trucks are overpriced. 5,000 gets a rust bucket that won't last but a few years from what I've been seeing. Compare that to the 5K I spent on my 90 gtz, I got a screaming deal. I know many people think our Beretta's are worthless because its a Beretta, but when a car is in good shape and you can daily drive it for 200k and 20 years, I think its worth it to spend a little extra.

How does your remote start work so far? Its awesome isn't it? Car is cooled and warmed before you get in it?

I wish there was an aftermarket auto temp climate control that I could put in place of the manual dials in our Beretta's, sometimes in Ohio, the weather changes and your Hot/Cold Preset needs changed to be effective.
But most of the time, its good enough.

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

GT_Indy wrote:
Cam2363 wrote:
87 brougham. Gets 11 mpg with a 455 v8 and 400 auto.
I take it to the track once a year to do drag race and autocross, the rest of the time it sits. lol.
Ever tried autocross with a land yacht? Its fun.

Yah, I daily the Beretta, its comfortable and gets good mpg. The 90 GTZ gets better mpg but I'm using my 96 first.
I've been considering getting a pickup truck like an S10 to haul stuff, but the Beretta trunk has been big enough so far.
Plus Most trucks are overpriced. 5,000 gets a rust bucket that won't last but a few years from what I've been seeing. Compare that to the 5K I spent on my 90 gtz, I got a screaming deal. I know many people think our Beretta's are worthless because its a Beretta, but when a car is in good shape and you can daily drive it for 200k and 20 years, I think its worth it to spend a little extra.

How does your remote start work so far? Its awesome isn't it? Car is cooled and warmed before you get in it?

I wish there was an aftermarket auto temp climate control that I could put in place of the manual dials in our Beretta's, sometimes in Ohio, the weather changes and your Hot/Cold Preset needs changed to be effective.
But most of the time, its good enough.

Awesome! I had an 89 deville. They sure are land yachts!

And I paid 5k for my96 z26 beretta with 64k, which was an amazing deal.

And I figured it all out and got it working just fine. Had to do some more wiring but everything works and its been great so far. Especially the keyless entry. So much nicer than unlocking my door, opening it, then hitting the unlock button so a passenger can get in.

And I live in Pennsylvania so I know exactly what you mean. Maybe ill try and make something like that. There's plenty of space behind the stock controls, I believe its all vacuum controlled so some electronically controlled vacuum valves or something would be really cool. Looks like I found myself a new project lol.

GT_Indy

Post by GT_Indy »

My 96 was from PA over 10 years ago. lol.

I was thinking just the temp dial can be replaced with a digital temp thing.
I usually leave the vent setting on MAX or bi-level anyways, fan I always put to high.

Keyless entry will be nice when an ice storm freezes your locks and your stuck taking a torch/lighter to the key before you stick it in the lock. Been there before. lol.

I wish there was a safe way to put a remote start on a manual trans car for my gtz, but I don't want to risk it.

Cam2363

Post by Cam2363 »

GT_Indy wrote:My 96 was from PA over 10 years ago. lol.

I was thinking just the temp dial can be replaced with a digital temp thing.
I usually leave the vent setting on MAX or bi-level anyways, fan I always put to high.

Keyless entry will be nice when an ice storm freezes your locks and your stuck taking a torch/lighter to the key before you stick it in the lock. Been there before. lol.

I wish there was a safe way to put a remote start on a manual trans car for my gtz, but I don't want to risk it.
Oh I see. That would probably be easier. Ill have to take a look

Haha Ive never really experienced that, but that sure will be nice. Lets hope it doesnt freeze my door handle or the actual door shut. That can be fun.

And it does suck, My system can be installed in a manual car, but its like a video game cheat code to use it. And it sounded like you need to be in the car, so what would the point be anyways.

If the temp dial is just a potentiometer, a possibility could be a motorized pot that is Arduino controlled and when you push certain buttons on the remote it could make it full hot or full cold. Just an idea but something like that could work.